• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
World Rugby will just go with whoever gives them the most money, more than likely meaning Fox/Kayo

I can see Fox making a bid for the RWC (along with most media companies) but if they have no other rugby why would they bother with the U20's?

With the RWC I can't imagine Nine/Stan getting all the other rugby and not bothering to go hard for the rights to the RWC

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
That will annoy me, and I reckon quite a few QLD based club rugby fans. I quite enjoying watching bits and pieces of all the Youtube games on a Sunday arvo from across the round. If I have to pay for that and I still only get one fixed camera, with no commentary or replays, that sucks.

Not all is lost for Shute Shield/Hospital games. From the press conference:
"The Shute Shield and Queensland's Premier Rugby competition will have four games broadcast on Nine throughout their seasons.

One match per finals weekend will also be broadcast on the free-to-air network."

I reckon thats a pretty good outcome. As long as the 4 games are Gordon games. :D

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
a portion is advertising - i think it's supposedly about 30m less over the 3 years.

Regardless ,personally I think is this day it a good deal. I love the idea that there is advertising in it anyway as it's what the game needs I believe.
Other thing is I wish I was in a position to ring up Foxtel and cancel my subscription, just so I could say, because you don't have rugby anymore! But I already cut it off as I have left the country:confused:

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
a portion is advertising - i think it's supposedly about 30m less over the 3 years.

Thats about right however most broadcast deals are being negotiated down at present so not necessarily the right comparison.

The hard thing to value with these deals is the "contra". So the Nine Entertainment will be flogging rugby across FTA, Stan, Fairfax and digital assets based on what they do with other content. The value of that is difficult to put a price on. At the moment it might be $30m based on agreed advertising slots however that would be the minimum agreed exposure at current prices that Nine currently charge. It could possibly end up being more if Nine deem it worth adding exposure to increase the value of the rights to advertisers etc.

The other value that you get from contra (assuming it is positive and done well) is it brings in other sponsors who want exposure to the Nine viewer base. And remember, the collective Nine footprint is much larger than Fox's.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not all is lost for Shute Shield/Hospital games. From the press conference:
"The Shute Shield and Queensland's Premier Rugby competition will have four games broadcast on Nine throughout their seasons.

One match per finals weekend will also be broadcast on the free-to-air network."

I reckon thats a pretty good outcome. As long as the 4 games are Gordon games. :D

4 games a week ?? or 4 games over the entire season??

Neither makes a bit of sense

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That will annoy me, and I reckon quite a few QLD based club rugby fans. I quite enjoying watching bits and pieces of all the Youtube games on a Sunday arvo from across the round. If I have to pay for that and I still only get one fixed camera, with no commentary or replays, that sucks.

When the SS lost ABC coverage they were smart enough to create their own product, one camera, with replays and commentary

It isn't perfect, but it isn't crap either

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I didnt see that. where did you see that?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...king-100m-broadcast-deal-20201109-p56csm.html
SMH online has an article with some detail. It sounds like there is still a lot to be worked out.

One thing that isn't mentioned anywhere is which FTA 9 channel Rugby will be on. Whilst on the one hand it shouldnt matter, the reality is that things that rate better go to the main channel as some viewers go there as a "default".

The other thing that hasn't been finalised is how Stan Sport will work. They keep saying it will be an "add-on" to the existing service meaning there will be an extra charge for existing subscribers. What I want to know is whether I can choose Stan Sport separately to Stan Entertainment. In the press conference they did not provide confirm cost or the Stan Sport setup.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
4 games a week ?? or 4 games over the entire season??

Neither makes a bit of sense

I read it as 4 QPR games, and 4 SS games over the season. So likely alternating on subsequent weekends for 8 weeks, with one finals game per weekend during the finals series as well

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Theres
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...king-100m-broadcast-deal-20201109-p56csm.html
SMH online has an article with some detail. It sounds like there is still a lot to be worked out.

One thing that isn't mentioned anywhere is which FTA 9 channel Rugby will be on. Whilst on the one hand it shouldnt matter, the reality is that things that rate better go to the main channel as some viewers go there as a "default".

The other thing that hasn't been finalised is how Stan Sport will work. They keep saying it will be an "add-on" to the existing service meaning there will be an extra charge for existing subscribers. What I want to know is whether I can choose Stan Sport separately to Stan Entertainment. In the press conference they did not provide confirm cost or the Stan Sport setup.

There’s still a lot of details to be worked out, Stan only just announced the launch of the Stan Sports product, and I anticipate which channel the rugby is broadcast on will be decided by ratings received.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I doubt you'll be able to get sport without the base package. Otherwise, what's the point? they are trying to drive viewers to their services.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Interesting to compare how quickly News Corp turns its back on its 'friends'. Kicked and screamed at the initial negotiations + when they found out they lost the rights. Then look at how quickly they've all bailed on the Orange Man.

Glad RA was able to find a way forward and start fresh. It sounds like I'll have more Rugby available to me than I can watch in a week.

Hopefully Stan/Nine will pull in Ben Kimber and Morgan T to run a weekly show. I've absolutely loved Morgan's analysis compared to Foxtel's 'Gameplay Guru' in Kafer......

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think this is a very good outcome, the FTA presence will be fantastic, although the loss of News Corp and it’s associated newspapers and media outlets will hurt. Although Nine in this case, is probably the next best option after News Corp.

This is make of break for rugby, either proves itself as mainstream sports, or shrinks down to a Tier 2 sport

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan, Nine set to sign French Open and Wimbledon as well, this is good news for rugby, the more sports on Stan, the more fans, the better

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Interesting to compare how quickly News Corp turns its back on its 'friends'. Kicked and screamed at the initial negotiations + when they found out they lost the rights. Then look at how quickly they've all bailed on the Orange Man.

Glad RA was able to find a way forward and start fresh. It sounds like I'll have more Rugby available to me than I can watch in a week.

Hopefully Stan/Nine will pull in Ben Kimber and Morgan T to run a weekly show. I've absolutely loved Morgan's analysis compared to Foxtel's 'Gameplay Guru' in Kafer..

There will be lots of resumes being sent to the offices at 9. I'm expecting a lot of Peter FitzSimons not understanding whats happening, arguing to bring back rucking and talking about his days in France as part of the coverage.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There will be lots of resumes being sent to the offices at 9. I'm expecting a lot of Peter FitzSimons not understanding whats happening, arguing to bring back rucking and talking about his days in France as part of the coverage.
Hope not