• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I read it as 4 QPR games, and 4 SS games over the season. So likely alternating on subsequent weekends for 8 weeks, with one finals game per weekend during the finals series as well

Still makes no sense. SS was 12 rounds this year. So even alternating with 4 Qld games doesn't give season long coverage of Premier Rugby.

Im guessing they will start a month before the finals and try and harvest a bit of interest for the finals.

This is the only bit I am unhappy about. On Balance it is a great deal for Rugby.

So is every other game on STan? is it just the 1 camera stream that Cluch & Bar TV have been doing? Or is it better than that ( say like the FOX coverage of NRC, they had at least 3 cameras)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There will be lots of resumes being sent to the offices at 9. I'm expecting a lot of Peter FitzSimons not understanding whats happening, arguing to bring back rucking and talking about his days in France as part of the coverage.

:(:oops::(

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
There will be lots of resumes being sent to the offices at 9. I'm expecting a lot of Peter FitzSimons not understanding whats happening, arguing to bring back rucking and talking about his days in France as part of the coverage.

I thought the Fitzsimmon's are a Channel 10 family now that Lisa has moved to the Project?

But yeah, if Fitzy joins, they may as well ask Alan to co-host it.................................

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Still makes no sense. SS was 12 rounds this year. So even alternating with 4 Qld games doesn't give season long coverage of Premier Rugby.

Im guessing they will start a month before the finals and try and harvest a bit of interest for the finals.

This is the only bit I am unhappy about. On Balance it is a great deal for Rugby.

So is every other game on STan? is it just the 1 camera stream that Cluch & Bar TV have been doing? Or is it better than that ( say like the FOX coverage of NRC, they had at least 3 cameras)

I don't think slightly less club rugby games on FTA is an issue. Next to no one watched them so there wasn't really an argument that it helped drive broader interest in the game.

A small percentage of rugby fans who stick to only having FTA but are interested in club rugby will get to watch slightly less club rugby but more rugby overall with one game a week of Super Rugby on FTA plus other stuff.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think slightly less club rugby games on FTA is an issue. Next to no one watched them so there wasn't really an argument that it helped drive broader interest in the game.

A small percentage of rugby fans who stick to only having FTA but are interested in club rugby will get to watch slightly less club rugby but more rugby overall with one game a week of Super Rugby on FTA plus other stuff.

You could count the people who lose out in that situation on one hand.

Reactions: dru

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Well yes i guess that's the point, it wont give all games as they want people to pay for the paywall.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like that the length of the deal. It does not include to big audiences pullers B&I Lions series and (hopefully a home) RWC2027.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well yes i guess that's the point, it wont give all games as they want people to pay for the paywall.

I will pay happily.

My only gripe is (and its a small one) that we end up with an inferior coverage for SS to what we currently have.

I thought channel 7 did a good job, and shared the love around with all the clubs.

4 games of SS will be UNI Vs Wicks, Manly Vs Warringah, Gordon Vs Eastwood (this year GF Replay) and Im guessing Norths V Easts, or else another Uni game - sorry about the rest - hope the organizers can arrange it so none of these are on the same day.

Im thinking its pretty short sighted of 9, as Iam assuming all other games will be on Stan. Use the FTA to harvest interest in SS right through the season and cross market the other games on Stan.

Iam still waiting for someone to post the Ch 7 SS ratings. It can be and has been a reasonable number in the past (50K?? maybe)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I will pay happily.

My only gripe is (and its a small one) that we end up with an inferior coverage for SS to what we currently have.

I thought channel 7 did a good job, and shared the love around with all the clubs.

4 games of SS will be UNI Vs Wicks, Manly Vs Warringah, Gordon Vs Eastwood (this year GF Replay) and Im guessing Norths V Easts, or else another Uni game - sorry about the rest - hope the organizers can arrange it so none of these are on the same day.

Im thinking its pretty short sighted of 9, as Iam assuming all other games will be on Stan. Use the FTA to harvest interest in SS right through the season and cross market the other games on Stan.

Iam still waiting for someone to post the Ch 7 SS ratings. It can be and has been a reasonable number in the past (50K?? maybe)
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...te-shield-tv-rights-deal-20200214-p540x2.html

I’m very happy to watch from the Clutch app.

Ch.7 SS game had a 13k ave in 2019