• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
for anyone who has no intention of watching any on stan

I really don’t understand your hate towards stan, they’ve give rugby a lifeline and you want to stick it to them?

What do you expect to happen to professional rugby in this country if everyone works out a way to watch it cheaper by doing it illegally ?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Im not paying $25 a month to watch 1 game a week & there is a chance that i'm attending that game

it’s $20 a month for the base package, and $24 a month for HD. But you don’t want to pay this for those reasons which is fine.

But you’re instead suggesting you watch illegally as to only spend $18.50 a month. Which is a saving of $1.50 per month for the standard package, or $5.50/month for the HD package.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
okay so if you want to be really spiteful & stick it to stan/nine here's a way to save a small amount & not be an extra number on stan's books

$14.31 usd a month currently equals $18.48 aud a month.

But Disney own the majority of ESPN, so you're just being an extra number to an American organisation?

Putting that aside, I work in IT and I CBF dealing with VPN's to watch TV/Sport. The last thing I want to do on a Friday evening or on the weekend is troubleshoot why the stream is buffering thanks to the VPN struggling under the bandwidth.

I also don't want to deal with my 65 year old parents calling me up on how to watch the Rugby on a VPN all so I can 'stick it to the man' and save myself a cup of coffee worth of money.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
okay so if you want to be really spiteful & stick it to stan/nine here's a way to save a small amount & not be an extra number on stan's books

<yada yada yada>

for anyone who doesnt want to pay for a terrible "entertainment" streaming service

The way I see it – to save 30-odd bucks by spending $111 this season instead of $144 – you are just cutting money from your own team.

It won't be shaving, say, just 20% either because $46 of that $111 gets poured into an anonymising web service. Of the rest going to espn, only a very small slice will return.

No one's going to make your choice except you – but the more TV dues disappear overseas, the more wallabies and other local players follow. Unintended consequences?

Might be time to wind back these sort of hopes …

no Matt Philip as the top14 finishes after super rugby has finished. Hopefully for us & more important a wallabies perspective we can get him signed up to a futures contract so he is right to go for the tests in july & the rugby championship. We managed to actually unearth a lock & we dont have much depth there. We cant go in to games against the AB's with half the fwd being rookies every year.

Everyone likes the idea of cheap on some level but it should be noted that it's close to haram promoting such here (or at least it used to be).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Don't get me wrong, I like wielding the stick when warranted and was happy to kick Foxtel into touch a few years back, but that was after my team got punted from the programme. Was time to move on.

The deal with Nine FTA/Stan, imperfect though the new service may be, is still a move upward for rugby. The game needs to move up from a position of rock bottom.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

espn+ $8.32 a month usd if you sign up for 6 months
express vpn $5.99 a month usd

for anyone who doesnt want to pay for a terrible "entertainment" streaming service

No thanks, I’d rather pay $10 a month for Stan Sport than $25 for Kayo’s bugged out piece of crap.........

Also, Stan is not a “terrible” entertainment streaming service - it’s actually currently one of the best on the market, particularly if you’re a film buff.........

I’ve already given a rundown of its qualities in this thread if you want to search it out, but in brief........... two words - Twin Peaks.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

espn+ $8.32 a month usd if you sign up for 6 months
express vpn $5.99 a month usd

Will ESPN+ have Super Rugby?

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
For all those saying two games a week - my memory of the announcement was that we get all domestic product from NZ, SA and Arg as well. That is an extra two games per week at least that are both exclusive to Stan in Australia (at least legally)

Edit to include some detail

The three-year-deal, which has been agreed between Nine and Rugby Australia pending SANZAAR sign-off, will see Stan Sport offered as a bundle to Stan streaming customers as a live and on-demand premium sports package. SANZAAR is the body which oversees Super Rugby and The Rugby Championship competitions in Rugby Union.
The deal will see international matches including Wallabies Tests and the Rugby Championship, Super Rugby, Sydney-based competition the Shute Shield and Queensland comp the Hospital Cup, the Mitre 10 and Currie Cup, plus SANZAAR Union home games, all broadcast live and ad-free on Stan.
Nine will also broadcast Wallabies Test Matches played locally and in New Zealand, as well as a selection of Super Rugby games, on its free-to-air television channel.
A library of classic games and greatest moments from history will also be available to relive on Stan
Source - https://mumbrella.com.au/nine-and-stan-launch-stan-sport-with-rugby-australia-deal-657137

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ve justified it by the following weekly games;

Super Rugby
2 x Australian games(1 simulcast on FTA)
2 x New Zealand games
Finals series for both

Trans Tasman:
5 x weekly games
Finals series

Club Rugby (1 game simulcast weekly)
4 x QPR games
6 x SS games
Finals series for both

Test Series
All TRC matches not featuring Australia

Additional Content:
Midweek show
Historical matches

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I might even go up to the HD version of the steam for 24 bucks and give one to my brother and the other account to my Parents, so they all can get in on watching super rugby.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Why would I want to stick it to Stan/Nine?

I find it easier to support Stan/nine with FTA exposure then News/Foxtel. Heck the fact is a free to air component in ironic way makes it easier to pay the Stan subscription (ie don't feel completely supporting a closed shop for rugby exposure by taking Stan sub given weekly matches on Nine.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Super Rugby
2 x New Zealand games
Finals series for both

Trans Tasman:
5 x weekly games
Finals series

4 x QPR games
6 x SS games
Finals series for both

Test Series

Additional Content:
Midweek show
Historical matches

THat was my justification for it too

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It's a pretty simple decision really. Love rugby? Subscribe to STAN.

If you’re uninterested in club rugby, the Super Rugby season is only 4 months long, so for HD you’re only paying $100 for the entire season including Trans Tasman.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

Super Rugby
2 x New Zealand games
Finals series for both

Trans Tasman:
5 x weekly games
Finals series

4 x QPR games
6 x SS games
Finals series for both

Test Series

Additional Content:
Midweek show
Historical matches

I wish I had the time to watch that many games to justify the money.