• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
84K for last night on Gem.

A shame it wasn’t the Reds v Rebels game on GEM this week (although that first half was really bad and the game itself was very stop start) but at least it was edge of the seat stuff till the 81st min.

No one really wants to see a shlacking like the Tahs have copped two weeks in a row, with Sydney as one of their main markets I don’t think the Tahs are winning over any new fans on these FTA games.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Metro only or nationwide? Last week was 90k for metro only but reported to be around 200k combined after all was calculated.

I think metro. only similar to last week. It's not surprising either as NSW/Qld is traditionally the biggest draw. Going off last week where it the broadcast topped 200k the FTA component made up 3/4 of that. So we could estimate somewhere between 120-140k with regionals for last night.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
84,000 for Brumbies vs Waratahs

And given A-League keeps coming up on the forum;
WSW v Adelaide
ABC 48,000
Foxsports 12,000

Melbourne Victory v Western United
Fox Sports 27,000

So is 84k for brumbies vs tahs on stan sport - ok that looks ok....

Keen to see ratings for games on gem...I worry that out of mind out of site on non main digital channels may impact.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think metro. only similar to last week. It's not surprising either as NSW/Qld is traditionally the biggest draw. Going off last week where it the broadcast topped 200k the FTA component made up 3/4 of that. So we could estimate somewhere between 120-140k with regionals for last night.

cool just what looking for so numbers much greater as viewing audience - good place to start

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to give credit to stan sports as I think already their sport broadcast has improved in week 2 from week 1 plus enjoyed their rugby show mid week.

Reactions: dru

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's been pretty much fine for me. How far is your modem from your TV?
No issues.
Maybe set your Stan feed quality to Auto in case its on HD.
Thanks very much for the advice.
Feed quality was already on Auto so I tried to beef up the modem signal with a Powerline D-Link.
Massive amounts of fiddling, plugging, unplugging, testing and experimenting with Powerline - no change.
I finished off by swearing copiously at the entire system and unplugged the TV, counted to 10, and plugged it back in.
Success.
From a scientific viewpoint, I don't know if the swearing or the unplugging worked but whatever, Stan is now great.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Thanks very much for the advice.
Feed quality was already on Auto so I tried to beef up the modem signal with a Powerline D-Link.
Massive amounts of fiddling, plugging, unplugging, testing and experimenting with Powerline - no change.
I finished off by swearing copiously at the entire system and unplugged the TV, counted to 10, and plugged it back in.
Success.
From a scientific viewpoint, I don't know if the swearing or the unplugging worked but whatever, Stan is now great.

haha, from my experience the first advice given from the IT Department is to turn it off and on before they try anything else.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I wonder if 84k an estimate of viewers, or number of devices that tuned in?

as long as cf usual ratings from fox last year looks ok...and then of course have friday game with FTA and opportunity to get more numbers..Not bad if got 84k already watching on stan sport...wonder if usual rugby crowd switched over vs potential new viewers who already had stan subscribed to stan sport because cheaper than kayo/fox for extra sub cost (if already had stan)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So many aussies in Japanese rugby that enjoying watching Japanese league matches plus feel more interested in Japan given part of Asia Pacific footprint..interest will only grow once they have Super 8 which presume next season????

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if 84k an estimate of viewers, or number of devices that tuned in?
It’s always an estimate. Unless you have a Neilson box attached or another marketing company paying to track your viewing habits then it’s impossible to know what anyone is watching at any one time.

Streaming is changing these dynamics as they can 100% know who’s tuned in.

I used to work in the industry with tv figures and it’s a widely held misconception that what ever you tune into = +1 on the ratings system.

Last count I remember (been out of the industry for a few years) there is around 4000 boxes in metro australia and 2000 in regional that dictate all the ratings. They will be strategically placed in different suburbs with different age rages and socio-economic backgrounds to get as close a reflection on numbers as they can. There will always be a margin of error as long as TV sets arent 100% streaming

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So many aussies in Japanese rugby that enjoying watching Japanese league matches plus feel more interested in Japan given part of Asia Pacific footprint..interest will only grow once they have Super 8 which presume next season????

I struggle a little with Japan rugby, been watching it, but hardly what you would call intense rugby. Hell even the Tahs would beat most of them;). It really looks like not a hell of a lot more than traing for some, and can see why a number of players go over to have a break from getting knocked around.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I struggle a little with Japan rugby, been watching it, but hardly what you would call intense rugby. Hell even the Tahs would beat most of them;). It really looks like not a hell of a lot more than traing for some, and can see why a number of players go over to have a break from getting knocked around.

Less grind for sure. Lot of pace and talent out there on very dry tracks. I'm enjoying it thus far, but it could get a bit repetitive...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I might be a bit biased as I really want Stan/Nine to succeed, but I really enjoyed the Moloney/Mehrtens/Turinui commentary team on Saturday night. There was some really sharp analysis that I feel like I haven't had in many years in an Australian rugby game.

Also just nice to have a mix of accents, I always enjoy it in cricket and it's nice to have in rugby on occasion too.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Slightly off topic - I'm concerned about the increasing intrusion into games by the broadcast team.
Some recent 1/2 time interviews in Super Rugby have seen the player anxious to end the interview and join the team in the sheds. Basic questions and hurried boilerplate answers don't add any value to the broadcast.
I would also question the usefulness of an interview with the coach before the game or at half time - will any coach willingly divulge the game strategy live?
The Andy Farrell interview with Sonja McLaughlin after the Wales game saw aggressive questions and curt answers. Surely the time and place for strong questioning is in the Press conference later, not immediately after the full time whistle.
I can think of several alternatives to these interviews. They don't deliver too much for the viewer and are difficult for players.