• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Slightly off topic - I'm concerned about the increasing intrusion into games by the broadcast team.
Some recent 1/2 time interviews in Super Rugby have seen the player anxious to end the interview and join the team in the sheds. Basic questions and hurried boilerplate answers don't add any value to the broadcast.
I would also question the usefulness of an interview with the coach before the game or at half time - will any coach willingly divulge the game strategy live?
The Andy Farrell interview with Sonja McLaughlin after the Wales game saw aggressive questions and curt answers. Surely the time and place for strong questioning is in the Press conference later, not immediately after the full time whistle.
I can think of several alternatives to these interviews. They don't deliver too much for the viewer and are difficult for players.

Welcome to sports media in 2021. The NRL and NBA having been doing halftime, mid-game etc. interviews for a number of years now. As broadcasting deals become more valuable, broadcasters want more bang for their buck, more cameras, more interviews, increased media access etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Welcome to sports media in 2021. The NRL and NBA having been doing halftime, mid-game etc. interviews for a number of years now. As broadcasting deals become more valuable, broadcasters want more bang for their buck, more cameras, more interviews, increased media access etc.

I thought broadcast deals were scaling back now, after peaking somewhat?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thought broadcast deals were scaling back now, after peaking somewhat?

I probably should have clarified and my wording wasn't great, by valuable I mean the value of the broadcast deal is being distributed differently in most sports, to my understanding. A larger portion going to the players and playing staff than before. In return, the broadcaster becomes entitled to more access to those parties. I'm not in the industry but that's my take from what I've seen in these bargaining agreements that happen all the time.

So the outcome of the broadcasting deal becomes more valuable to the players themselves.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It’s always an estimate. Unless you have a Neilson box attached or another marketing company paying to track your viewing habits then it’s impossible to know what anyone is watching at any one time.

Streaming is changing these dynamics as they can 100% know who’s tuned in.

I used to work in the industry with tv figures and it’s a widely held misconception that what ever you tune into = +1 on the ratings system.

Last count I remember (been out of the industry for a few years) there is around 4000 boxes in metro australia and 2000 in regional that dictate all the ratings. They will be strategically placed in different suburbs with different age rages and socio-economic backgrounds to get as close a reflection on numbers as they can. There will always be a margin of error as long as TV sets arent 100% streaming

So I use a fetch box, would they be able to track that ? or is it just the same as a tv. I watched through the Stan App as I didnt want ads but Im just curious :)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I might be a bit biased as I really want Stan/Nine to succeed, but I really enjoyed the Moloney/Mehrtens/Turinui commentary team on Saturday night. There was some really sharp analysis that I feel like I haven't had in many years in an Australian rugby game.

Also just nice to have a mix of accents, I always enjoy it in cricket and it's nice to have in rugby on occasion too.

Nope Im really enjoying it too, They have the main caller, then 2 experts and it really works well. I like the detail analysis and the positivity. I think they have been given the task to get people to understand the game more, and it works

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Slightly off topic - I'm concerned about the increasing intrusion into games by the broadcast team.
Some recent 1/2 time interviews in Super Rugby have seen the player anxious to end the interview and join the team in the sheds. Basic questions and hurried boilerplate answers don't add any value to the broadcast.
I would also question the usefulness of an interview with the coach before the game or at half time - will any coach willingly divulge the game strategy live?
The Andy Farrell interview with Sonja McLaughlin after the Wales game saw aggressive questions and curt answers. Surely the time and place for strong questioning is in the Press conference later, not immediately after the full time whistle.
I can think of several alternatives to these interviews. They don't deliver too much for the viewer and are difficult for players.

I loved the chat with Scott Sio, I think that was really interesting, but as you say didnt effect the game. I think grabbing someone not in the 23 for a talk is much better and provides some detail but really an outside view... more of that please leave the players and coach out of it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I had some syncing issues with picture and audio on the TV in my bedroom. I installed a wifi extender and it's all sorted now. It seems like Stan, and 9Now, require better quality internet than other platforms.

In terms of content I'm really liking Justin Harrison. He has the balance right between analysis and a bit of banter. His stitch up of Campo last week was pretty funny. Looking forward to the show tonight.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know this about Aus broadcasting etc, but enjoyed watching Breakdown here last night and O'Keefe being on it and talking about what refs are trying to do, and some of decisions. They has their review yesterday morning and says he should of yellow carded Moody for the open hand hit. It was interesting to hear refs side, and he reckons the refs have got to get into each season like the players.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I had some syncing issues with picture and audio on the TV in my bedroom. I installed a wifi extender and it's all sorted now. It seems like Stan, and 9Now, require better quality internet than other platforms.

Yep you've nailed it, I'm not a tech expert but my understanding is the 'premium' streaming services such as Netflix and Youtube who have relied solely on streaming content simply have bigger servers and more capacity to send and receive data, which makes it faster.

The network TV companies haven't invested the same amount of money into that technology, yet. But I imagine Stan/Nine will need to improve over the coming months, same thing happened with Kayo I found during the early days but I've had no issues in the last 12 months.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I know this about Aus broadcasting etc, but enjoyed watching Breakdown here last night and O'Keefe being on it and talking about what refs are trying to do, and some of decisions. They has their review yesterday morning and says he should of yellow carded Moody for the open hand hit. It was interesting to hear refs side, and he reckons the refs have got to get into each season like the players.

Yes, it's good to have the refs' input, especially when there's time to discuss these points in more detail. Angus Gardner's appearance on the new Rugby Heaven show was a bit stilted, but a good idea. It's noticeable that the AU commentators are being much more careful about whinging about the refs during the broadcast this year, compared to previous years - at least until Mehrts was let off the leash in the SMH.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Compared to Kayo/Foxtel Go or just Netflix etc?

The live broadcast certainly means it needs to be more consistent. The non-live streaming services have a lot more margin for error in terms of there being small dropouts in data coming through because it can download well ahead of where you are up to.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Nope Im really enjoying it too, They have the main caller, then 2 experts and it really works well. I like the detail analysis and the positivity. I think they have been given the task to get people to understand the game more, and it works

One exchange that I noted in the Tahs/Brumbies game:

Late in the game the Waratahs threw to the back of the lineout, tried to set up a maul but it was thwarted by Pete Samu who came around, entered from the Tahs side and stole the ball.

Andrew Mehrtens said what many were thinking, namely 'I'm not sure Samu was onside to make that steal', to which Turinui replied 'No, the ball was thrown beyond 15m, therefore the lineout was over and Samu was entitled to move around like he did'.

A really nice exchange that covered an unusual play, and why it was permitted under the laws. Didn't try and dumb anything down, but was well reasoned and explained by Turinui.

I am 95% that the Fox comms would have been Kearns screaming "Pete Samu is a mile offside, this referee is atrocious" as the other commentators sit in silence and nod their heads in agreement.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Compared to Kayo/Foxtel Go or just Netflix etc?

The live broadcast certainly means it needs to be more consistent. The non-live streaming services have a lot more margin for error in terms of there being small dropouts in data coming through because it can download well ahead of where you are up to.

No issues watching Kayo previously.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
One exchange that I noted in the Tahs/Brumbies game:

Late in the game the Waratahs threw to the back of the lineout, tried to set up a maul but it was thwarted by Pete Samu who came around, entered from the Tahs side and stole the ball.

Andrew Mehrtens said what many were thinking, namely 'I'm not sure Samu was onside to make that steal', to which Turinui replied 'No, the ball was thrown beyond 15m, therefore the lineout was over and Samu was entitled to move around like he did'.

A really nice exchange that covered an unusual play, and why it was permitted under the laws. Didn't try and dumb anything down, but was well reasoned and explained by Turinui.

I am 95% that the Fox comms would have been Kearns screaming "Pete Samu is a mile offside, this referee is atrocious" as the other commentators sit in silence and nod their heads in agreement.

agreed and there were posters on here who said that exact same thing, and because earlier in the game someone got pingged for doing the same thing HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes, it's good to have the refs' input, especially when there's time to discuss these points in more detail. Angus Gardner's appearance on the new Rugby Heaven show was a bit stilted, but a good idea. It's noticeable that the AU commentators are being much more careful about whinging about the refs during the broadcast this year, compared to previous years - at least until Mehrts was let off the leash in the SMH.

Yep Reb, I didn't realise that Rugby Heaven was on here last week (what was I thinking?) but have got tv set to record it from now on , so look forward to watching that too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
agreed and there were posters on here who said that exact same thing, and because earlier in the game someone got pingged for doing the same thing HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes).

And that situation is a very interesting one for the refereeing threads

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty keen for Rugby Heaven tonight. Interviews with some great people: Jake Gordon, Bernard Foley & Crusader's Scott Robertson.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
The Australian now pushing their rugby podcast and seems like more articles in the paper as well.

Channel 9 now regularly have pieces on the Reds during their sports news, which wasn’t t the case last season .

Things certainly seem to be improving as far as getting the rugby product out there.