• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

T

TOCC

On the topic of Shute Shield broadcast, have clubs seen any increase in sponsorship as a result, and what is the cost of broadcasting the games, a figure repeatedly thrown about is $300k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
On the topic of Shute Shield broadcast, have clubs seen any increase in sponsorship as a result, and what is the cost of broadcasting the games, a figure repeatedly thrown about is $300k

The $300k came from an article relating to ARU fund changes stemming from the new deal. From memory the SS broadcast cost something like $750k last season and they supposedly broke even. The $300k is to ensure the broadcast is secure.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Based on the quality of today's game, it is good value.

T

TOCC

But where is that value derived from? If the $300k outlay to have it broadcast isn't generating greater returns through sponsorship or gate takings then is it really worth it, or would that $300k be better off spent as a direct grant to the clubs.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
But where is that value derived from? If the $300k outlay to have it broadcast isn't generating greater returns through sponsorship or gate takings then is it really worth it, or would that $300k be better off spent as a direct grant to the clubs.

Well, as I see it the $300k is a grant. It provides them with the ability to access the public. It comes down to them on how the exploit that access.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I start from the premise that at the very least, we now have a pretty good standard of rugby on FTA every Saturday, at the same time.

I do not know how much that is worth, partly because some of the benefit is intangible, or at best, very difficult to put a value on.

What is the value of winning a new "customer"? Most organisations put a value of at least $100. So one way of looking at the alleged cost of 300k per annum is that we break even if 3,000 people gst interested in the game each year, who were not interested before.

I am not putting this forward as the answer, but marketing people would look at this sort lf calculation.

I got interested in the game because (a) it was being played at an oval less than 1 km from my home, and (b) because my school played it.

Given that not many schools play it, and a lot of kids will never see it except on television (if it shown on FTA), the potential value of this telecast seems obvious.

T

Train Without a Station

Shute Shield has had a game on every Saturday for years. Hard to argue it has resulted in any new fans.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I start from the premise that at the very least, we now have a pretty good standard of rugby on FTA every Saturday, at the same time.

I do not know how much that is worth, partly because some of the benefit is intangible, or at best, very difficult to put a value on.

What is the value of winning a new "customer"? Most organisations put a value of at least $100. So one way of looking at the alleged cost of 300k per annum is that we break even if 3,000 people gst interested in the game each year, who were not interested before.

I am not putting this forward as the answer, but marketing people would look at this sort lf calculation.

I got interested in the game because (a) it was being played at an oval less than 1 km from my home, and (b) because my school played it.

Given that not many schools play it, and a lot of kids will never see it except on television (if it shown on FTA), the potential value of this telecast seems obvious.

I've often wonder what the dolar amount was per person. Which sort of backs up my perspective on directing more funds to development. If exposing a new participate is of similar value then it's money well spent.

In regards to the SS. I think the value is derived from just how what the clubs do in order to build that value. Just sitting there expecting people to come to them won't grow it at any reasonable rate. If the clubs were smart they'd tie advertising the SS in with ARU developmemt works.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Not necessarily agreeing, but the ABC coverage was on their main channel, so it was viewable both through FTA and also Foxtel (Channel 102), which means that we can record it on IQ2.

The ABC coverage was throughout NSW and the ACT live, and there was also a nationwide replay which of course could also be recorded (it was on at 0200 Wednesday from memory).

The SevenTWO coverage is pretty narrow, I think you will find.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SevenTwo is also on FOXTEL

Just a brief overview:

Shute Shield is broadcast in NSW/ACT only on 7Two and 7Two Prime........

Foxtel only broadcasts Shute Shield on 7Two in Sydney, as Foxtel doesn't carry FTA channels (at least not all of them) in regional markets......

In the other metro markets, Foxtel carries the local 7Two content.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
This tweet from the Wallabies says Shute Shield is on SevenTwo, 7Prime and 7Plus

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Here's the words copied:
@qantaswallabies: #Wallabies hooker set for @theshuteshield debut. Match of the round on 7TWO, 7Prime or streamed on 7PLUS-LIVE 3pm. https://t.co/DZTZGZSo3S

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
SetantaSportsPlus in Asia offers all the Rugby (SANZAR tests, Super Rugby, Eurpean Champions Rugby) plus the NRL and maybe AFL? all for about $20 per month with no ongoing contract.

That is where things are headed. Rugbypass.com in New Zealand has just started competing with them offering just the above rugby matches for a similar price.

The advantage of such platforms is that when phones are ready (mine cannot!!!) we can catch games on the go on our mobiles and then get home and plug our pc into the tv to stream the game or watch on the laptop.

With the no-contract they can get more customers. The risk is people sharing logins. Not sure how they will get around this. Maybe the feeds will have to be linked/authenticated to a specific device so that another user could not use it. But that would stop me travelling to a hotel and watching the game on the pc there. hmmm