• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Super Rugby is a broken formula, if Australian Rugby intends to move forward with the code then some serious changes need to be made..

Perhaps Super Rugby should look to emulate the European Rugby Championship, and be a competition for which only the top few teams from each countries domestic competition qualify to be a part of. That would require a quality domestic comp in each country and a restructure of the rugby calendar. but come the next broadcast negotiations, big changes need to be made regardless.

Well, it could be workable. You have the Currie Cup, Mitre 10 Cup and NRC. Could easily include the Compenato Argentino, Top League and even potentially PRO Rugby. Would need to bring in a sizeable TV contract though.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why is it a strange choice? And do you really think there was a choice, in the sense that there was another option other than SBS?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have had a couple of conversations with SBS sports people over the years, they always said they would love to get their hands on some rugby, but it was always too expensive. One of them had a really broad Enzed accent.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'll be interested in knowing who the commentators will be. Had no probl;em though with the BeIN coverage, but might be good to listen to a more than half decent Aussie do the call.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
even tho I already pay for foxtel, I might just watch the sbs broadcast.

every little bit helps, and if we can get FTA to rate we'll all be better off.

I always record the FTA telecast and fast forward through it on the assumption that Foxtel keeps some sort of quasi-ratings data.

Any rugby supporter who happens to be on the official ratings panel should do the same!!!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd guess they'd just run with the host broadcaster commentary. Though they might do their own pre-match and half-time comments.

Yep, that's exactly what they'll do - otherwise they have to hire commentators, which would be a task in itself to find someone capable not already contracted to another network, and then fly them overseas (plus crew) to commentate the matches......... which would be a massive waste of money when you can just take the consortium feed from the host broadcaster and slap your watermark on it.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyone missing their fix of rugby lately should check out BeIN sports tomorrow. Replays of all games (barring NZ I think) start at 10 am and run throughout the day until 4.30am Sunday.

T

TOCC

ARU should make it a contractural agreement that they control the domestic broadcast rights to games like the Spring Tour. Having zero input into negotiating broadcast rights for Wallabies matches in Australia is ridiculous, not having Wallabies matches on FTA only furthers the perception that it's a game of elitism.

It can't be that difficult to work out a value for reimbursement, on negotiating fixtures the ARU then own the rights for broadcasting within Australia and then onsell it to domestic broadcasters, with the primary emphasis been that all Wallabies Test matches be available on FTA.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder how many would agree to it.

Reckon it'd definitely work for your out of window games.

Less certain about the in window games.

And then you'd probably be looking at them asking for reciprocal rights, and that could be worth a lot more financially, particularly if you're dealing with England or France, maybe Wales too.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
ARU should make it a contractural agreement that they control the domestic broadcast rights to games like the Spring Tour. Having zero input into negotiating broadcast rights for Wallabies matches in Australia is ridiculous, not having Wallabies matches on FTA only furthers the perception that it's a game of elitism.

It can't be that difficult to work out a value for reimbursement, on negotiating fixtures the ARU then own the rights for broadcasting within Australia and then onsell it to domestic broadcasters, with the primary emphasis been that all Wallabies Test matches be available on FTA.
Highlander's touched on it, but we make more money selling our rights to the NH than they do from ours, so sharing or reciperacle rights would be a pretty big net loss to the ARU

What might be an option is more night games which would be way more attractive to Aussie broadcasters given the timezone. But that has its own issues in the NH in November

T

TOCC

It wouldn't be giving up the rights for free, reimbursement for the assessed value would be fair exchange.. an argument may be that the assessed value exceeds what the FTA networks are willing to pay therefore incruing a loss on the ARU..
but what's the monetary cost of the Wallabies not been on FTA, of fans not engaging and sponsors not getting exposure..

There absolutely has to be a way that the ARU can control the destiny of the Wallabies without it been a financial burden.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
SBS do a wonderful job with the sports they have.

Soccer is moving away from SBS and they have a new head so this could be the start of something very very very special.

By gees half, wouldn't that make the year great for us if someone like SBS got into rugby. I know I a kiwi and wouldn't see any kiwi games, but would be brilliant for rugby!!