• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You still need to bundle, but they have increased the range of basic packages and te cheapest ones come in at $10 now(docos, kids etc).. sports package is still $25 but you need to bundle it with one other.. so $35 for sports and one other pack

My take is it's pretty good value if you know exactly what you want, and it should rightfully be cheaper given the lesser quality of the stream, reduced reliability and bandwidth use..if you use more then just sports, then you're probably better off getting normal cable Foxtel

It certainly would be better value but my issue is still that I only use it for sport. I have Netflix and Stan for the entertainment side of things and if there's a series not on either I want I can just buy it via my Xbox Live account.

I'll keep the set up obviously but I think Foxtel is mossing a trick by not just offering the Sports package as a standalone.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I have a Foxtel box but just SD no HD channels. Is it worth the extra for HD for sport? (Please disclose that you work for Foxtel if you're a HD supporter :) )

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Yes, I reckon it's worth it. No I don't work for Foxtel.

Be ready to commit. Trying to watch SD after a couple of months of HD becomes extremely frustrating unless there's no obvious alternative. Always got annoyed watching BeIN before recently because of itm

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I find one of the most frustrating things on Tv is that I can watch every game of the afl in hd, then am forced to watch the grand final in sd. I find the step down in quality is huge and I dislike watching in sd. I do not work for Foxtel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Honestly, it makes little difference to my enjoyment of the game.
We can't handle the Atari like block men you get on SD!

Call me a quality snob, but I am happy to pay the extra $10 a month on Foxtel for high quality vision and sound. The other issue you have is once you get used to it you cant go back.

We had the inlaw stay over. Mother-inlaw is a sports nut. The father-inlaw is the HD sceptic and had the same waste of money there is no difference " attitude thus they had SD" Foxtel. One night of HD sports here and they upgraded the next week after seeing the difference.

End of the day its a personal preference.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have a Foxtel box but just SD no HD channels. Is it worth the extra for HD for sport? (Please disclose that you work for Foxtel if you're a HD supporter :) )

If rusted-on rugby supporters like you are not willing to pay to watch rugby in HD, what chance do we have?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If rusted-on rugby supporters like you are not willing to pay to watch rugby in HD, what chance do we have?
The truth is my kids rule the TV and every other device in the house.
I find a quiet corner and watch the rugby on my phone.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting reports about the Optus EPL. I wonder if it will have an impact going forward with other rights?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/h...e/news-story/a62fbb6a9d2dacd85d7eb9d5d1fb14e4

Also interesting that Presto is being shut after being sold to Foxtel.

Seems the pond is too small here in Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...l-eyes-are-now-on-foxtel-20161004-gruibk.html

Those paying for the NFL streaming here in Australia must be considering their options now that its all being shown on Foxtel as part of existing sports packages.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Presto was a nightmare anyway.

No HD, worst library of them Netflix and Stan, poor app, rubbish search function, no chromecast or apple TV support.

Stan v Netflix for standard stuff on demand programming plus Foxtel Play and individual sports streaming is good enough for now. Not so sure it'll be sufficient in 2-5 years, but beyond the fact that overall demand will increase faster than the linear trend, I don't think we can predict that much about anything on the Internet.

T

TOCC

Presto shutting down is nothjng dramatic, standard rationalisation of an emerging industry, it won't be the last one to shut down nor will it be the last new player to enter the market. Foxtel have significant capital investment in FoxtelGo already, its more likely to provide a competitive longer term option especially when they are able to stream HD sports from 2017.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Those paying for the NFL streaming here in Australia must be considering their options now that its all being shown on Foxtel as part of existing sports packages.

There's still a market for it for the die hard fans because there's only about 5 or 6 games shown in full each week across all channels. The rest are covered by NFL Red Zone. So if you want to watch a particular team's full game and they play on Monday morning Australian time at the same time as the majority of other games you need NFL Game Pass to be able to watch it in full.

Presto shutting down is nothjng dramatic, standard rationalisation of an emerging industry, it won't be the last one to shut down nor will it be the last new player to enter the market. Foxtel have significant capital investment in FoxtelGo already, its more likely to provide a competitive longer term option especially when they are able to stream HD sports from 2017.

I don't have any particular knowledge on this but it would seem that Foxtel has been working to expand their On Demand content and make that a more core part of their overall service offering so perhaps that is one reason that they don't see a future for continuing to lose money with Presto.

mjscandrett

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know if the spring tour is on free to air? Channel 10 commented it was their last game of the gear.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
Am really liking the coverage of the Central Coast 7s. BAR sports TV channel on you tube. Smart Tv has a native you tube app so picture is pretty good.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting reports about the Optus EPL. I wonder if it will have an impact going forward with other rights?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/h...e/news-story/a62fbb6a9d2dacd85d7eb9d5d1fb14e4

Also interesting that Presto is being shut after being sold to Foxtel.

Seems the pond is too small here in Australia.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...l-eyes-are-now-on-foxtel-20161004-gruibk.html

Twitter is streaming live Thursday Night NFL matches, bloody good quality too

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The truth is my kids rule the TV and every other device in the house.

I find a quiet corner and watch the rugby on my phone.

The kids et al have always known Rugby time is quiet time and the TV is mine. End of story. I did buy a second TV......

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Twitter is streaming live Thursday Night NFL matches, bloody good quality too

7HD FTA broadcasts a fair few live as well. So between Foxtel, Twitter and 7HD you don't need an NFL subscription here in Australia if you have Foxtel to see most games; and a significant amount of them live.

T

TOCC

Super Rugby is a broken formula, if Australian Rugby intends to move forward with the code then some serious changes need to be made..

Perhaps Super Rugby should look to emulate the European Rugby Championship, and be a competition for which only the top few teams from each countries domestic competition qualify to be a part of. That would require a quality domestic comp in each country and a restructure of the rugby calendar... but come the next broadcast negotiations, big changes need to be made regardless.

Reactions: mst