• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
For an entity that has drastically tried to reduce costs, that isn't a small amount of money.

The ARU has already cut Wallaby top ups to under the size of a squad we currently pick. Under your first point, you might as well pick which current Wallaby you want to go offshore so a small number of fans can watch 3rd tier games live on Youtube. That is roughly what your suggestion boils down to.

I would guess the overwhelming majority of the ARU's marketing budget is spent on the things that actually generate revenue, like selling tickets to Bledisloe Cup tests.

I am sure the competition does have greater long term ambitions than just providing a better pathway for players. It's all about making sure it exists long enough to be able to have any ambitions.

The ARU learnt the hard way in 2007 that a great rugby competition is not enough to be sustainable. It has to be cost effective otherwise it won't survive. It's taken 7 years to try again and it can't fail this time otherwise it will probably be even longer before we see it again.

Thinking that $150-200k was not a huge amount of money is what got the ARU into a financial mess in the first place.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well you have to spend money to make things happen. And sometimes the pay off isn't immediate. It's got no chance of becoming something greater without more exposure. And live streaming is highly accessible.

Anyway, I take your points and I do acknowledge this year's competition was rushed together, and that it's better it exists now in some form than not at all. With any luck the Thursday night games will be so consistently good that word of mouth leads to audience growth and ultimately Fox Sports decide to pick up an extra game or more each week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well you have to spend money to make things happen. And sometimes the pay off isn't immediate. It's got no chance of becoming something greater without more exposure. And live streaming is highly accessible.

That was the problem last time. They spent the money and didn't get the return they needed and had to cancel it.

You have to start somewhere and that's in making sure the competition takes place this year and can take place again next year.

Spending substantial amounts of money that will benefit a small number of fans is not smart at this point in time. It's a luxury this competition can't afford.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
For an entity that has drastically tried to reduce costs, that isn't a small amount of money.

The ARU has already cut Wallaby top ups to under the size of a squad we currently pick. Under your first point, you might as well pick which current Wallaby you want to go offshore so a small number of fans can watch 3rd tier games live on Youtube. That is roughly what your suggestion boils down to.

I would guess the overwhelming majority of the ARU's marketing budget is spent on the things that actually generate revenue, like selling tickets to Bledisloe Cup tests.

I am sure the competition does have greater long term ambitions than just providing a better pathway for players. It's all about making sure it exists long enough to be able to have any ambitions.

The ARU learnt the hard way in 2007 that a great rugby competition is not enough to be sustainable. It has to be cost effective otherwise it won't survive. It's taken 7 years to try again and it can't fail this time otherwise it will probably be even longer before we see it again.

Thinking that $150-200k was not a huge amount of money is what got the ARU into a financial mess in the first place.
I think the way things have panned out,it's too late to spend this amount of cash for this type of thing this year.
However,in future years I believe it is both affordable and essential to further support this new comp.
ARU has expenses in excess of $100M,in the scheme of things $120k is not significant.
There are plenty of places to cut costs before player payments are affected.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That was the problem last time. They spent the money and didn't get the return they needed and had to cancel it.

But they didn't really have to cancel it. I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Pulver has actually said that he thinks it shouldn't have been cancelled in hindsight, just altered. Imagine where the ARC might be today if it had continued and evolved. Influence from Sydney club land led to it being cancelled. It was political more than anything else. It was always forecast to lose money in the first couple of years - the return would have come later. That is a reality for most new ventures.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Btw Braveheart et al, that quote of 5k per game is including "Three cameras, two commentators, expert commentary, one sound man, one director, replays, sponsors, etc."

So it could obviously be done a lot cheaper.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Btw Braveheart et al, that quote of 5k per game is including "Three cameras, two commentators, expert commentary, one sound man, one director, replays, sponsors, etc."

At every game? Perth , Adelaide, Townsville, etc?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yes, but finding the service provider to do it cheaper is another thing. Club Rugby TV obviously provides one specific service.

The teams could do it much cheaper if they staffed it all themselves with volunteers but they need the equipment and the knowhow to make that happen.

You could obviously cut down the number of cameras used and maybe get away with a single director looking after sound as well but it's hard to cut all those things out. Someone needs to be making sure that everything is in sync and working and it can't be the cameraman or the commentators.

If it was a simple and cheap task, more people would be doing it already.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I don't see what the problem is with the YouTube stuff.

Commentators just fuck things up and give me the shits.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It'd be great to see more streaming games, but the overall goal has to be to get all the games on TV, so if that is at all likely to happen soon any investment in streaming now might not be the most economical use of the money. That said with the partnerships with uni's most of the teams have It'd be worth looking at student radio commentary along the lines of what Griffith does for premier rugby. The extra involvement would likely also help to get more students through the gates on game day.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If it was a simple and cheap task, more people would be doing it already.

What you mean like American College rugby teams? Or the Australian Ice Hockey league?

Half of the NRC teams are sponsored by universities. If nothing else, why not get students studying relevant degrees to do it? They'd have the equipment and know-how and they'd do it for a free lunch. It would provide some relevant experience and a good reference.

I think you're really underplaying the importance of the matches being broadcast and visible. If people can't see the matches live they lose interest. And if the Australian Ice Hockey league can work out live streaming then so can the ARU!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So mixed bag with these. Foxtel (allegedly) discounting the costs of a packages to entice more subscribers. Could be a good move long term but will cut in to their bottom line for the immediate future if not longer. Unknown if it will impact on broadcasting - IE: purchasing or programme rights, live broadcast capabilities and sponsorships.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...-in-battle-for-customers-20140904-10c9kc.html

The other edge of the sword comes if you allow the TV dollar to rule unchecked apparently. Its a careful what you wish for and very important for ARU to take note of considering the S18 may take more bums off seats.
'
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment...watch-the-game-from-home-20140903-10atjh.html

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good post Angry Seahorse. I think that's exactly what the ARU need to do for the NRC. It shouldn't be up to individual clubs to stream home games if they want to, all on different online channels or platforms.

If the national ice hockey league in Australia can live stream matches with commentary then the ARU can do so for the NRC. It should be centralised and all on the one youtube channel.

I find it really surprising and disappointing this hasn't been sorted out.

Turns out BarTV does broadcast NRC games in addition to the ARU. Good signs.

T

TOCC

RedsTV Broadcast of the QLD Country vs Rays was pretty good as well, whilst lacking commentary it was good to hear the Ref's(puffing) feed in its place.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
If you thought the crowd was bad. The ratings are even worse. Ugh oh.

Sat TV #rugby #AUSvARG #Wallabies v #Pumas TEN 137k (Syd 97k Bri 40k) ONE 45k (Mel 23k Ade 10k Per 13k)

The NRL at the same time got 800k. The AFL got 1 mil.
Ouch.... The Loigue games were crackers though. Didn't see the afl. Was it any good?

Why aren't the public engaged with the Wobs? The Reds week on week were probably getting bigger ratings and they are only on Fox.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfairly because we can't beat NZ. People have this view that there's only 2 good teams in the world and when we can't beat NZ we must be seriously shit and not worth viewing.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
What were the pay TV ratings like? Given that most serious rugby followers have Foxtel for the Super Rugby, they would watch the tests on Fox Sports as the coverage is ad free during play. The ratings also don't take into account people watching the game at pubs and clubs.