• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-union/clock-ticking-on-salvis-future/1771989.aspx

Clock ticking on Salvi's future
BY JOHN-PAUL MOLONEY, RUGBY UNION
10 Mar, 2010 07:51 AM
The ACT Brumbies' patience with Julian Salvi is wearing thin and the club is considering widening its search for George Smith's long-term replacement.

Despite indicating in early February he wanted his future decided quickly, Salvi has been slow to decide whether to return to Australia from English club Bath and if so which club to join. The delay has been added to by the necessary involvement of the ARU in discussions.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said last night if the club didn't receive a response from the Canberra product within a few days to an offer tabled to Salvi's manager several weeks ago, it would look elsewhere for its next openside flanker.

''I've got a phone hook-up with his manager tomorrow, in which I hope to hear more ... but Julian's now had an offer from us for several weeks and if we can't get to a decision soon, then we'll need to expand that search and aggressively pursue some other options,'' Fagan said.

Boom Western Force flanker David Pocock had been linked to the club in the wake of Smith's decision to retire at the end of this season. However, recent reports suggest he is likely to remain in Perth. Fagan said the club had had tentative contact with Pocock's manager and had not talked with the player.

''His manager has suggested to us that if things weren't to work out in the west he'd look positively upon the Brumbies, but my understanding is he's probably looking to stay in Perth,'' Fagan said.

While frustration over the issue of replacing Smith is building, Fagan is growing more optimistic by the day that the Brumbies will be retain their coveted young playmakers Matt To'omua and Christian Lealiifano.

A year ago when Matt Giteau decided to return it seemed unlikely the ACT could keep both players, given they are both natural flyhalves.

However, Lealiifano's strong form in his new role as inside centre this season has changed things.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.

Any thoughts on who they might go for other wise?
Beau?
could come from within with Coby playing well this year

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good to see Pat McCabe from the Rats getting a few wraps on him. He is a good footie player at club level but you are never sure how a player is going to cope in the Super14 until you actually see him play there.

Some top club players fail inexplicably or toddle along getting a few bench games and the odd start and they don't make their mark. Then we work out that club rugby is their level or maybe the mythical ARC, but not the S14.

We have seen enough of Pat now to know that he belongs. The first clues were in the good reports of him on the Brumbies tour to France. He played decently enough in the first 3 rounds of the S14 without shining too much as most of the play went to Fainifo's left wing (not uncommon if backs are right handed), but he excelled against the Lions. The comparison with Rathbone was apt, though McCabe is not as fast as Rattlebones.

It's a big call by Friend to say that he will make the Oz squad for the RWC next year but I wouldn't be surprised if he is right. Being able to play in every back position from 10 up will look good on his CV too. As I have said before: I hope that he gets a run at fullback sometime this year as it his best position IMO.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
What we've all been hoping for?

Giteau shift to lift flat Brumbies

* Bret Harris, Rugby Union

ALTHOUGH it is not his preferred position, Wallabies playmaker Matt Giteau is expected to start at inside centre for the Brumbies in their pivotal Super 14 game against the Chiefs in Canberra on Friday night.

And the Brumbies are likely to be without veteran openside flanker George Smith, whosustained a shoulder injury in the 39-35 loss to the Blues in Auckland on Friday night.

Giteau's move to inside centre would not only cover the loss of Christian Lealiifano for the rest of the series with a knee injury, but ignite the Brumbies' stagnant attacking game.

With Giteau almost certain to make the move from No 10 to No 12, Matt To'omua would take over the five-eighth role.

Even before Lealiifano was injured in Auckland, Giteau moved to inside centre on some plays to provide penetration in the midfield. And Giteau finished the game at inside centre after Lealiifano went off.

"That's a possibility," Brumbies coach Andy Friend said of Giteau starting at inside centre. "Matt To'omua is a genuine 10, while we know what Matt Giteau can do. He can play 10 or 12. We have to have that discussion."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Smith will have scans on his injured shoulder today, but Friend does not expect him to play against the Chiefs.

"It didn't look good," Friend said. "We'll give it 48 hours before we make a call, but I don't expect him to play. He'll be a big loss."

Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles moved to openside flanker when Smith went off last Friday, but Friend is considering starting promising academy player Michael Hooper at number seven. "Stephen Hoiles went into seven on Friday, but he prefers number eight," Friend said. "We have a couple of young sevens in our academy, Michael Hooper and Colby Fainga'a.

"Hooper is in his first year out of school, but he made an impression in the trials. We need to have a close look at our balance. We need a genuine seven in that role and he would be suited to it."

Veteran Wallabies outside centre Stirling Mortlock, who missed the Blues match because of a neck-shoulder injury, will return to the starting line-up if he is fit.

The Brumbies missed his physicality in the midfield, where Blues centre Rene Ranger caused havoc.

Julian Huxley continued his comeback for the Brumby Runners in their 29-5 win against West Harbour in Sydney on Saturday night, but it is probably too soon for him to be considered for a recall to the Brumbies.

After playing conservative South African teams for four weeks straight, the Brumbies' one-on-one defence did not cope with the Blues' more adventurous attack.

Friend is expecting more of the same against the Chiefs, who are the kings of unstructured rugby. "We knew we would get an open brand of rugby, which we hadn't had," Friend said.

"We knew they would challenge our defensive line and ask a lot of questions of us. We answered a fair few of them, but not enough. What we got is what we expected. We'll get more of the same this week.

"The Chiefs are a quality team. They have two strike runners in Sitiveni Sivivatu and Lelia Masanga on the wings and they feed off the back of that.

"All games are important, but this is a really important game for us," Friend said.

S

Spook

With Cooper playing so well at 10, it's the right thing in every sense.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Andy Friend said:
"We have a couple of young sevens in our academy, Michael Hooper and Colby Fainga'a.

"Hooper is in his first year out of school, but he made an impression in the trials. We need to have a close look at our balance. We need a genuine seven in that role and he would be suited to it."

Wow - I thought that Hooper would be a certain Super player when I saw him first at the Oz Schools championships in 2008. I was looking forward to see him going against Liam Gill last year, but he was injured, had to have an operation and missed most of the 2009 season and even the Oz Schools EOYT.

I wouldn't be playing him this year though. Let him play grade for the blue slime Manly team this year and learn his trade week in, week out as a senior player. He played well for the Runners against the JWs the weekend before last but Colby Finger is good too and has already had a post-school year in the gym.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Lee Grant said:
Andy Friend said:
"We have a couple of young sevens in our academy, Michael Hooper and Colby Fainga'a.

Wow - I thought that Hooper would be a certain Super player when I saw him first at the Oz Schools championships in 2008. I was looking forward to see him going against Liam Gill last year, but he was injured, had to have an operation and missed most of the 2009 season and even the Oz Schools EOYT.

I wouldn't be playing him this year though. Let him play grade for the blue slime Manly team this year and learn his trade week in, week out as a senior player. He played well for the Runners against the JWs the weekend before last but Colby Finger is good too and has already had a post-school year in the gym.

Lee, I think you'll find Colby is coming off a knee injury which kept him out of most of preseason so I'm not sure if he is physically ready to be thrown into Super 14. That said he was starting #7 in this weekends Runners game against West Harbour

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've seen Colby start twice for the Runners already this year (but not the one against the Pirates) looking fit - and he and Hooper worked well together.

Once, against the JWs Colby grubbered through and Hooper chased it and gathered it in. Somehow he got it to Jerry Y and there was an Alley Oop pass of the ball which eventually ended up on the other side of the park for a try.

If he's not yet up to speed he'll be terrific when he is.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
speaking of which:

The CA Brumbies have signed gun openside flanker Michael Hooper from the Brumbies Academy for two seasons.

Today Hooper celebrated his signing with the news that he will make his Investec Bank Super 14 debut in the CA Brumbies’ starting line-up to play the Chiefs this Friday following a shoulder injury to George Smith.

The 18-year-old joined the Brumbies Academy on completing his schooling at Sydney’s St Pius X College at the end of 2009.

Robbed of an opportunity to represent the Australian Schoolboys due to a shoulder surgery last year, the 2008 Australia A Schools representative has played each match for the Brumby Runners this season.

Hooper, who started off the bench for the CA Brumbies in their pre-season match against the Hurricanes, says he’s keen to continue his development with the CA Brumbies.

“Coming down from school to train with the big boys has been an obvious step up but you learn a lot very quickly,” he said. “Everyone’s been great in giving positive criticism and it’s let me progress my own game.

“I loved watching the Brumbies when I was growing up. Guys like [Stephen] Larkham, [George] Gregan and Georgie Smith made them a team you wanted to see play and it was always exciting rugby. To be a part of that now and get to train with guys like George [Smith] and getting my first Super 14 start this week is something I never dreamed of.

“There’s a great team culture here and I really enjoy being part of the community at the Brumbies. All the players, coaches and staff help make it a great and tight environment, it’s been a lot of fun and it’s been great for my rugby.

“I’m living with my brother down here in Canberra and it’s a very easy life to get used to and I’m very excited about this week and the next two years.”

Head Coach Andy Friend says Hooper is a tough flanker with unlimited potential.

“There’s a lot to like about Michael Hooper,” he said. “He’s very much a just-get-on-with-it type player and for someone in his first year out of school, he thrives in the physical nature of this level of rugby.

“This weekend will provide the next challenge for him. While it’s extremely disappointing to lose George to a shoulder injury, I had no hesitation in throwing Michael into the starting line-up. I’ve got every confidence that he’ll handle himself more than capably and will give spectators a good show of what they can expect from him in the future.

“He’s a very easy young man to have in the squad and he’s got a great attitude towards his football. He’s consistently been one of the best players for the Runners this year and despite his age, he’ll be keeping all the back-rowers in the squad very honest for the remainder of the year and into next season.

“It’s pleasing to see guys like Hoops coming through the Brumbies Academy program and following the footsteps of guys like Pat McCabe, Henry Vanderglas and Jerry Yanuyanutawa from last year. We’re very proud of the development program we have here at Brumbies Rugby and [Brumbies Academy Head Coach] Darren Coleman has done a great job in preparing these players for this level of rugby and ensuring an easy transition.”

Michael Hooper

Position: Openside Flanker

Physical: 1.82m, 97kg

Investec Bank Super 14 Caps: -

Investec Bank Super 14 Points: -

Investec Bank Super 14 Debut: -

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reddy!

BRUMBIES officials are worried star flanker George Smith may have played his last game for the province after suffering a serious shoulder injury against the Blues in Auckland on Friday night.

ACT coach Andy Friend is deeply concerned about the damage to Smith's shoulder, which forced him from Eden Park during the second half of their 39-34 loss, and the former Wallabies openside flanker may be sidelined for a significant period of time. Smith announced in February after 110 Test appearances he had retired from international rugby, and was likely to pursue a career overseas after this year's Super 14. In his farewell season, the 29-year-old with 126 Super 14 caps was hopeful of being part of a Brumbies finals revival, but whether he takes an active role, or will be just a spectator, will be discovered this week.

''George is a real concern,'' Friend said yesterday. ''His shoulder doesn't look real good. He won't be available for our next game, and we'll know more later on in the week to see whether he is a chance for the rest of the season.

''He copped a really heavy knock on it, and it definitely didn't look good yesterday morning. It could be serious, unfortunately.''

Friend is uncertain who will replace Smith in the back row against the Chiefs in Canberra on Friday night, but one option is moving skipper Stephen Hoiles from No.8 to the openside flanker's role.

And Smith is far from Friend's only injury concern, with inside-centre Christian Lealiifano sidelined for three months because of ligament damage to his knee. At least former Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock is expected to return against the Chiefs. That is likely to result in Tyrone Smith moving from outside-centre to No.12 to fill Lealiifano's position.

Lealiifano's plight is a major blow for the Brumbies, as he was enjoying an excellent season.

However, former Wallaby Julian Huxley, who is returning after suffering a brain tumour two years ago, is gradually getting closer to Brumbies selection. On Saturday night, Huxley played his second match in a week, appearing for the Brumby Runners against West Harbour in Canberra.

''He played a quarter at fullback, and we moved him into No.10 [five-eighth], because the game didn't seem to have much flow,'' Friend said. ''We just wanted to get him into a bit more traffic. It was a little more challenging for him, but definitely good for him at the end of the day.

''So Julian's now got two 80-minute games under his belt, and he will definitely fit into the selection discussions which we will be having tomorrow.''

The Stormers stayed in second spot with a 21-8 win over the Cheetahs on Saturday, while the Crusaders picked up a 46-19 bonus-point win over the Lions to be equal second on 23 points. The Sharks recorded their first win of the season, defeating the Highlanders 30-16.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Colby Finger must be scratching his head and looking elsewhere if Hooper has jumped him to a full contract.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
very sad news for G.Smith but better in the long run for the Brumbies. They should give both Hooper and Coby runs.

Interesting article in the Canberra times about lack of Australia wide comp. Saying an ACT will join the NSW comp next year if an ARC type comp doesn't start up.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Don't think Salvi really had Wallaby potential so not too fussed that we aren't getting him. Michael Hooper and Colby Fainga'a sound promising so can't wait to see Hooper in action this week.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Noddy said:
looking to his brothers per chance???

Heard this time last week that he had been having meetings with Reds, the next day I read an article that the twins had announced they're resigning.. Would seem he's heading that way

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If Canberra were to go down the Shute Shield path I'd like to see 2 teams rather than one. Some ideas would be:

Moving Tuggeranong and Queanbeyan into the Shute shield and playing all Grades baring maybe Prem Colts. Obviously there playing standard would increase as Canberrians playing in Syd would come home and the best local players would gravitate toward the clubs.
OR
The ACT Premier grade clubs being split in two and two sides being picked from them. These sides would play Premier Grade and Prem Colts (like the coastal teams do in the Brisbane comp). To fill the gap in the other grades two subbies clubs should be picked with a plan to develop them to play Premier grade in the future. These two subbies could maybe be the best Suburban clubs in Western Sydney so that rugby could (potentially) grow in the area.

I have never lived in Sydney or Canberra so if either of these plans are stupid explain why. It just seems more appealing than what is essentially a Brumby Runners side playing in the league, clubs need to have a soul about them. They can't be passionless entities.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Brumbies Guy said:
Noddy said:
looking to his brothers per chance???

Heard this time last week that he had been having meetings with Reds, the next day I read an article that the twins had announced they're resigning.. Would seem he's heading that way
Resigning, or re-signing!!

Three brothers in one super team, has that happened before?

Status
Not open for further replies.