• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chriscullen

Robinson plays for Southland and helped guide them to a ranfurly shield win over Canterbury last year, He is a star of the future and was involved in the NZ u20 side who won. Has been tipped by all and sundry to be a future All Black, should get lots of game time for the Highlanders this season.
Charlie Ngatai has been earmarked as a star since he was 15, fast and strong, he actually repd NZ in the junior olympics in 100 metres and also a handy cricketer. I watched him destroy opposition teams playing for Poverty Bay in NZ 2nd division heartland competition.
Aaron Cruden(hurricanes) and Robbie Fruean(crusaders) are the other stars in the making playing s14 this season.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Thanks for that CC.

Who was the guy playing 12. for the NZ Under 20's last year. I thought he was impressive as well.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
On the subject of the thread and leaving aside, for a while, the internal player positioning of the UnZidders, can anyone remember the Brumbies "winning" a S14 trial? Memory tells me they usually get walloped on the scoreboard in trials.

shadreck

Allen Oxlade (6)
Today's Canberra Times' report of the match with the Hurricanes makes the statement:

"The loss was the Brumbies' 11th from their past 13 trials."

Interesting to see whether they maintain their trial match record against the Tahs on Thursday in Canberra.

C

Calexico

Biffo said:
On the subject of the thread and leaving aside, for a while, the internal player positioning of the UnZidders, can anyone remember the Brumbies "winning" a S14 trial? Memory tells me they usually get walloped on the scoreboard in trials.

I seem to remember them losing all the trail games both times they won the comp. So things are looking good.

S

Spook

Can't wait to see him get a try. Of course he is known to suffer from white line fever.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought one reason he was so effective at lineout time was because of how high he'd get.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The ACT Brumbies have reopened the door for a possible return to rugby for Julian Huxley.

Huxley's playing career seemingly ended after it was discovered he had a brain tumour in March 2008.

The 30-year-old held hopes of returning to the field last year but the Brumbies were against the idea, for legal and medical reasons.

But that could change in 2011 as the two parties continue negotiations.

Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan has met with Huxley multiple times in recent weeks about the prospect of the former Wallabies utility making a comeback.

Huxley is currently the Brumbies' kicking coach but also trains in the gym and on the field regularly with the senior squad. He is contracted to the club until the end of this season.

Fagan indicated any decision on a possible Huxley return could be ''as far as six months away'' but didn't rule out a fairytale comeback.

''We're still going through those discussions with Hux and those discussions have been going for several weeks and I imagine they'll go for a number of weeks yet,'' he said.

''He's keen to fully explore the option of playing rugby again somewhere in the world in the future and we're happy to continue working through that process with him."

A poorly kept secret. Still, respect to the man.

If his comeback plays out well I smell a movie deal.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
it will fatprop.

They do an article like this ever couple of months just have rugby in the papers causes thats what canberra likes

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumby Runners gallop over Greens

CA Brumbies outside back Afusipa Taumoepeau has starred in the Brumby Runners’ 62-5 win over Randwick at Goulburn’s Simon Poidevin Oval this afternoon.

The 20-year-old crossed for three tries in a personal points tally of 23 points that also included four conversions. Other star performers for the Runners included centre Ed Stubbs, scrumhalf James Stannard and back-rower Jesse Parahi, who each crossed for five-pointers of their own.

Despite the first half sin-binning of prop Steven Noriega, the Runners held a 31-0 half-time advantage before kicking on to record the 10-tries-to-one victory.

MATCH DETAILS
Brumby Runners 62 (Afusipa Taumoepeau 3; James Stannard, Steven Noriega, Robbie Coleman, Ed Stubbs, Nathan Charles, Jesse Parahi, Ita Vaea tries; Afusipa Taumoepeau 4 conversions, James Stannard 2 conversions) defeated Randwick 5 at Simon Poidevin Oval, Goulburn.

Half time: Brumby Runners 31-0

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Nice to see a prediction come true, he is highlighting the lack of work off the ball Fanifo does.

Brumbies coach sees a star in boom rookie McCabe
CHRIS DUTTON
March 8, 2010

JUST four games into his Super 14 career, rookie flyer Pat McCabe has already proved he's destined to be a Wallabies star, says Brumbies coach Andy Friend.

The challenge for the talented 21-year-old is to maintain the lofty standards he has set. McCabe will get another chance to impress when the Brumbies play the Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.

The utility back hasn't faltered in his debut season and despite his limited exposure to professional rugby, Friend is backs McCabe to figure in the Wallabies' World Cup squad next year. ''He's been tremendous - he looks like he has been there forever,'' Friend said.

''You don't want to put too much pressure on him because he's only new to professional rugby. But all the evidence suggests that he's got what it takes to make it to the top.

''He's committed, he's got that work ethic … I certainly think he could [be in that World Cup squad], especially if his first four games are anything to go by. He's going to get better the more he plays; his potential is tremendous.''

But pulling on an Australian jumper is the furthest thing from McCabe's mind. His first priority is to keep his place in the Brumbies' starting XI and if he maintains his early-season form, that shouldn't be a problem. McCabe was one of the Brumbies' best in their 24-13 victory over the Lions last Friday. He made numerous busts through the Lions' broken-line defence and comfortably diffused attacking kicks in the slippery Canberra conditions.

After joining the Brumbies on a rookie contract last season, McCabe impressed while on tour with the team in France. And, while he is considered a dynamic fullback, Friend says he has no intention of switching incumbent No.15 Adam Ashley- Cooper and McCabe.

''The way the three at the back are working with Frankie [Fainifo] as well is really pleasing,'' Friend said.

''The way they covered the ground against the Stormers [two weeks ago], they controlled the ball in that game and their positional play is outstanding at the moment.''

Although the Brumbies have won three of their four games, they remain the only team in the competition to have not collected a bonus point.

The players are well aware they have not hit peak form. And with the Sharks still searching for their first win, McCabe said the Brumbies could not afford to remain below their best. ''The Sharks are a quality team and they'll definitely be looking to knock us off,'' he said. ''I'm trying to learn as I go, but I'm probably getting more confident on the field to call the ball my way if I can see an opportunity.''

Status
Not open for further replies.