• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

George Smith has been around long enough to realise where his got to be, i wouldnt be worried, its probably better that his giving his body sufficient rest rather then smashing himself constantly

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy,

Belated thanks for posting those Academy details. Dunno how I missed it.

That's the first time I've seen the physical details of 7. Michael Hooper. Looks like he's grown a bit since I judged him the best player of the Oz Schools tournament in 2008. He's one of the guys I was looking forward to watching again in 2009 but he got injured early in the winter and wasn't available for Oz Schoolboys rugby for anything important after the operation.

Watch this kid. I wish we could have kept him in NSW. He's probably the successor to George Smith for the Brumbies after the RWC. I couldn't judge when he was 17 if he was going to be a big enough man but at 18 and 97kgs he's big enough now and will put on another 5kgs naturally in a pro regime. Unfortunately it looks like Queenslander Liam Gill, who I picked, with Hooper, to chase David Pocock after the 2011 RWC, will find it too hard to grow enough as he weighed in at only 86kgs for Oz Schools a few months ago.

It thought a couple of years ago that 2. Nathan Charles would have a Super contract by now. Moore going to the Brumbies did him no favours and nor did Edmonds help him a lot. I note that have him as one of my alternates for the Melbourne team, and if they don't get a foreign hooker, it may be the way to go.

Lock Hugh Pyle
from the Rats is a good athletic player but he's a bit of a stringbean who will have to bulk up. The Rats didn't have any problems with the lineouts with Chris Thompson and Pyle and sometimes Pat O'Connor, the ex-Force player. But he'll have to toughen up so that the Brumbies mafia can take him seriously.

3. Jono Owen seems to be an odd choice for a professional Academy. He was a bench player for Sydney Uni in the Shute Shied final but he played as low as 4th grade during the year - though that may not be here nor there for one reason or another.

Not a great professional Academy but I'll back the Brumbies to turn them into the best they can be.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
This was posted by Matt Smyth on facebook the other day, I think he's a PR guy for the Brumbies

DISTRUBING NEWS FOR BRUMBIES FANS: Striling Mortlock is seriously considering joining the new Super Rugby franchise the Melbourne Rebels for 2011.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I reckon that will be terrific if it happens as it just the kind of marquee player that a new Oz Super franchise needs. Moreover, instead of going offshore in 2011 he may say around for them in a 2nd season in 2012, or who knows, a 3rd?

I see in the Sunday papers today that Benn Robinson and Cliffy Palu may go to the new team but it's probably because they are two of the few high profile Tahs who are off contract in 2010 and the writer checked up on them and when somebody told him who they were thought he could cause a bit of a stir.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies play the Hurricanes in a trial this Friday in Wellington. Christian Lealiifano has been given the nod as starting fly half and Matt To'omua is slated to play fullback to ease his way back into the game after breaking his jaw, but will have a contact session fitness test before the team is finalised.

The Wallabies contingent plus a few other players won't be making the trip but the team that may start is not too shabby:

1 Ma'afu
2 Edmonds
3 Shepherdson
4 Hand
5 Harrison
6 Chapman
7 Fainga'a
8 Hoiles

9 Phibbs
10 Lealiifano
11 Fainifo
12 T Smith
13 Mortlock
14 Mafi
15 To'omua

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ma'afu at prop is enough of a pointer for me.

Team announced at about 4.30pm today I believe.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Not too shabby at all Brumby Jack. Arguably the best in Oz minus the EOYT Wobs though I haven't done a forensic investigation of it.

I hope that Pat McCabe gets a run in the trial. He was terrific for the Rats in 2009 but he got injured in a game for us and missed some action. IIRR it was a time when the Brumbies had some players down and he may have otherwise got a run. He's always played beyond his years and although he's only 21 I gave him the tag of "good footie player" during the 2009 season.

As usual one has to see him at the higher level before getting too excited, but my hopes are that he will follow the footsteps of another Rat, Mark Gerrard, at the Brumbies. If he does become a Brumbies regular I hope that he is not cursed by versatility.

IIRR the Brumbies have been playing just 2 trials in recent years and anyway, they've had a tour with their non-Wallabies; so they have a good idea of the attributes of the players in their stable. They don't have to have a trial for their wannabees as we see with other Oz teams in their 1st trial. [Come to think of it: IIRR McCabe was reported to have a very good tour.]

The team for the Hurricanes trial doesn't mean beans but the one they pick for the trial against the Tahs, the one before the S14 starts, will deserve a bit of discussion - as to who is in the 22, the run-on team, and who is playing where - and the same for the Tahs team.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CA Brumbies v Hurricanes

Porirua Park, Porirua

Friday, 29 January 2010

Kick-off: 5.30pm local time (3.30pm AEDST)

Salesi Ma’afu
Huia Edmonds
Guy Shepherdson
Justin Harrison
Ben Hand
Mitchell Chapman
Henry Vanderglas
Stephen Hoiles (c)
Josh Valentine
Christian Lealiifano
Francis Fainifo
Tyrone Smith
Stirling Mortlock
Alfi Mafi
Matt To'omua

Reserves

Anthony Hegarty
John Ulugia
Sitaleki Timani
Michael Hooper
Colby Fainga'a
Patrick Phibbs
Afusipa Taumoepeau
Andrew Smith
Jesse Mogg

S

Second row

For a mostly non-Wallaby line-up, that looks fairly impressive! But the Brumbies tend to be woeful at trial games...

Newb, it seems that the Noriega boys all take after their dad - the Canberra Times had an article about them with their mother bemoaning the amount of food she has to have in the house and cook for them all!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
BJ

Thanks - that's bad news for Pat.

But 18 y.o. Michael Hooper, a 7, is on the bench? Crikey.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I will be interested to see how Hooper goes if he gets game time. Have seen some big wraps for this kid from a number of sources, including the redoubtable Lee Grant.

A good opportunity for Jesse Mogg as well.

To'omua at fullback is interesting. Thought he and Lealifano might have been selected the other way around.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
So there's Blue in the Coles in the Manuka village. As I look to my right, one Stephen Moore is standing looking at some cans with a slightly confused look on his face (tough thing this shopping business for a front rower but a man must eat).

So I run through the options in my head:

a) How's training going mate?
b) Hey Stephen, good luck for the Super 14. I reckon you blokes can do it.
c) Can I help you pick the right can of spam?
d) I support the Bulls and I hope they beat you shitless sonny.
e) Pick up the large 5kg can of tomato pulp and drop it on his foot.
f) e) but repeatedly

What would you have done?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It could have been worse. It could have been Giteau and he has a slight tear in his quad...

Oh wait, that really DID happen today.....and is now in doubt for the first game.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Stephen Moore always has a confused look on his face.

Who can forget a few years back in the S14 for the Reds when he stood there like a stunned mullet whilst the ref continually gave half arms against him for delaying the lineout throw? Big guy standing there with a big dumb look on his face. Tragic.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Brumby Jack said:
It could have been worse. It could have been Giteau and he has a slight tear in his quad...

Oh wait, that really DID happen today.....and is now in doubt for the first game.
Torn hammy before the season even starts, hope the ponies haven't bought a Tahu...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Moses said:
Torn hammy before the season even starts, hope the ponies haven't bought a Tahu...

If he becomes a "Tahu" (considering Barnes is already a "Tahu") the Wobs will be in a serious "Tahu" of a pickle.

Did I use to right?

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone watch the Brumbies v. Hurricanes trial? I see that the Brumbies got done 26-5 or something, but I am interested to hear how Matt To'omua went in his comeback game, and whether a few of the young roosters got time off the bench.

In the report I read it was interesting to see the name Charlie Ngatai in the centres for the Canes. He was a very impressive 15. for NZ schools in 2007 if my memory serves me correctly. The other impressive player from that side, Robbie Robinson should also see some S14 action this year.

Any kiwi's on these boards familiar with those two?

Status
Not open for further replies.