• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Firstly, I'd just like to say I'd be livid if I saw Coleman at 10, obviously he is a decent distributer but he reeks of 2nd 5/8 and should be aloud to play there.

Secondly:
10. To'omua
11. Fainifo/ Speight
12. Giteau
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano
All three are play-makers and I very much subscribe to the "too many chefs spoil the broth" theory.

This being said, I was proved wrong when the Wobs went Quade, Gitts/Barnes and Beale. I'd be happy to be proved wrong again but I just think you need more blokes that will run first preference and distribute second preference rather then the other way around. After all, if everyone is passing who will capitalise on the passes?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
BJ

Thanks for that. What's your punt on the Rd 1 matchday 22, taking into account the injuries but with Hoiles OK?

E4cer

I'd like to see McCabe at 15 also. He plays there for the Rats; it's his best position and his favourite, but Friend will have to balance factors like that against getting all his best players on the park though bearing in mind that sometimes "getting all the best players on the park" is not as productive as it seems.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BJ

Thanks for that. What's your punt on the Rd 1, taking into account the injuries but with Hoiles OK?

E4cer

I'd like to see McCabe at 15 also. He plays there for the Rats; it's his best position and his favourite, but Friend will have to balance factors like that against getting all his best players on the park though bearing in mind that sometimes "getting all the best players on the park" is not as productive as it seems.

This has definitely been one of the Brumbies biggest problems the past couple of years... highlighted best by the failed Mortlock/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) centre combination...

What was interesting about that 2009 season was it took a player like Fairbanks (who to be honest isn't that special) to help transform the backline and the Brumbies played their best rugby with him at inside centre... but it probably also helped that Frankie played the best rugby of his career in those last remaining rounds, and then blew any chance of a Wallaby touring spot with a shithouse Shute Shield final performance...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Don't the S15 rules require two spare front rowers on the bench? More correctly: the IRB requires it.

Can the hooker on the bench double up as a reserve prop for the purposes of compliance with game day bench composition? No; it wouldn't comply with the law which requires there be 5 players who are trained and experienced to play in the front row. Edmonds would be only the 4th front rower in the 22, but there has to be a 5th.

Incidentally, usually there is a hooker and prop on the bench but there is nothing to stop the designated 4th or 5th front rower, or both, starting the game in another spot.

Who is the Ponies backup hooker - Is it Edmonds and can he prop? It would be Edmonds and no, he can't prop, but I've seen him play inside centre, if that helps.

Note that the above laws do not mention props or hookers, just front rowers.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the IRB also authorises a union, or unions, to require, in effect, that teams have a separate replacement for each of the hooker, the LHP and the THP. The intent is to avoid uncontested scrums if more than one prop is injured. It allows teams to have an extra bench player for the purpose.

This option has been exercised in European tournaments following its being trialled in France.

The reason why I mentioned this is that folks may think that the S15 will follow what they are doing in the Heineken Cup, Magners League etc, but to the best of my knowledge SANZAR has not adopted the option.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Firstly, I'd just like to say I'd be livid if I saw Coleman at 10, obviously he is a decent distributer but he reeks of 2nd 5/8 and should be aloud to play there.

Secondly:

All three are play-makers and I very much subscribe to the "too many chefs spoil the broth" theory.

This being said, I was proved wrong when the Wobs went Quade, Gitts/Barnes and Beale. I'd be happy to be proved wrong again but I just think you need more blokes that will run first preference and distribute second preference rather then the other way around. After all, if everyone is passing who will capitalise on the passes?

I agree that Coleman will make a great 12 in time. But he has played almost all of his footy at 10 and it seems his natural position (he's an ex league 5/8), he was an Aus Schoolboys 10 and plays 10 at Club/Runners level and 10 on his Brumbies debut. He has also outplayed both To'omua and Lealiifano at 10 during John I Dent games. He did play 12 at JWC to allow for To'omua, but he also played on the wing.

On Lealiifano, I don't that his natural game is to primarily distribute as you say. He is a ball running playmaker and has a fantastic running game (which is why he is not a 10... 12/15 compliment his strengths).

We're blessed with quality backs next season, I just hope one of the flyers we've secured breaks out from the wing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has Matt To'omua ever played in the John I Dent Cup?

And Lilo didn't play in the comp this year, and was excellent for the Vikings last year...

But Coleman is the Brumbies' future 12, and possible flyhalf backup... but I doubt he'll be flyhalf backup next year with Giteau and Lilo already there with experience...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd of hoped that getting Christian on the field as much as possible would be in their plans, especially on his form last season.

10. To'omua/ Coleman
11. Fainifo/ Speight
12. Giteau
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano

Pretty well balanced and potentially exciting back line. I'm still hoping Deans' demotion of Giteau, and the Barbarians game, sparks some life back into Giteau.

Let me add that this is pretty much the backline I want to see as well...

With a bench makeup of:

20. White
21. Coleman
22. Fainifo/Stubbs/A or T Smith (I assume Speight will start)

Friend, are you reading this?

The Brumbies certainly don't need to sign another centre for a while... Stubbs and Tyrone play both positions and Andrew Smith is a quality outside centre...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Has Matt To'omua ever played in the John I Dent Cup? Yes, with Canberra Royals

And Lilo didn't play in the comp this year, and was excellent for the Vikings last year... Yes, he was in good form last year and in Super 14 this season until he was injured. He is one of my favourite players.

But Coleman is the Brumbies' future 12, and possible flyhalf backup... but I doubt he'll be flyhalf backup next year with Giteau and Lilo already there with experience...I'd say Coleman > Lealiifano @ 10, Lealiifano > Coleman @ 12... at least at the moment.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When did To'omua play for Royals?

He's had two seasons now with Easts in the Shute Shield so his competition with Coleman must've been pretty brief?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
From May 31 2008 vs Wests

Royals: 1. Eugene Mulipola, 2. Robbie Abel, 3. Kesomi Lolotonga, 4. Luke Regan, 5. Larry Stevens, 6. Soalki Tai, 7. Joe Kolo, 8. Thenus Jacobs, 9. Matt Henjak, 10. Matt To'omua, 11. Brendan Russell, 12. AJ Abel, 13. Jason Swain, 14. Brent Hamlin, 15. Ben Johnson

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think what you would find is To'omua would play in the ACT comp during the Super season if he wasn't named in the Brumby 22 and then when Super rugby is over he'd go to Sydney and play for Easts.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
From May 31 2008 vs Wests

Royals: 1. Eugene Mulipola, 2. Robbie Abel, 3. Kesomi Lolotonga, 4. Luke Regan, 5. Larry Stevens, 6. Soalki Tai, 7. Joe Kolo, 8. Thenus Jacobs, 9. Matt Henjak, 10. Matt To'omua, 11. Brendan Russell, 12. AJ Abel, 13. Jason Swain, 14. Brent Hamlin, 15. Ben Johnson

Is Sok still around or has he headed overseas? He was a very handy player.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua 10, Gits 12. Both solid players but seems a bit dull doesnt it? Especially with Gits' form. He's not a line-breaker anymore, basically a good defender and good passer and thats about it at the moment. I dont see this combination making regular line-breaks or really ever threatening the line. I think after lealifanos form last year he's got to be in the backline closer to the action, realistically dont see them dropping Gits so unfortunately Im seeing a 10 Gits 12 Lealifanno combo. Hopefully the crabs are out of his system. Plus im secretly hoping lealifano at 12 could be a bolter for the wallabies.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
To'omua was really good last season, he is not so much of a steady eddie player that year are saying his Sec V. Last year he made a fair few breaks and the side was scoring freely.

Lilo played well last year Matt T is a better 10 than both of them and he is the better goalkicker now, especially if Gits gets the yips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHDI2RjCoyQ

R

Red Rooster

I think there are good prospects for the starting backline - whats the depth and experience looking like for the replacements - a bit thin on match winners?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I think there are good prospects for the starting backline - whats the depth and experience looking like for the replacements - a bit thin on match winners?

Assuming this starting lineup:

9. Valentine
10. To'omua
11. Fainifo
12. Giteau
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano

The replacements are:

Halves- Phibbs, White
Inside Backs- Coleman, Smith A, Smith T, Stubbs
Outside Backs- Speight, Taumoepeau, Wara