• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I would be still be pretty surprised to see this. To'omua 's form last year warrents his place in the side, Giteau selects himself. There is your 10/12.

I also think if is going to be a Smith in the starting lineup it'll be Andrew Smith on the wing or at outside.

I'm not too sure to be honest. They did have a large contingent of islanders in 2009 (14 of the starting 15) but they have seemed to of moved on. The ones I know of:

Sitaleki Timani- Southern Districts, Sydney
Kesomi Lolotonga - Injured
Robbie Abel - Northland, NZ
Waqa Vulawalu, Paramatta, Sydney
Sokai Tai - Overseas (Tonga?)
Joe Kolokihakaufisi - Souths, Brisbane

Soks went back to Tonga after his visa expired, but will be back.
When did Robbie go back to Northland?

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Where is Speight mentioned on the Brumbies website? I cant seem to find any record of him.
Also I believe Timani has signed a dev contract with the Waratahs. I guess he is trying to do a Fava and play for everyone.
When did Waqa go to Parramatta as he was at Gordon this year. Does anyone rate him? He has played mostly second grade in the Shute Shield after a promising schoolboys and 19s start.

R

Rothschild

The Brumbies are yet to update their website.
Speight is definitely in the squad which will bring that list on the site to 30, plus there is also a prop from NZ who is also not mentioned on the site.
They are yet to finalise the final rookie spot.
Not sure how many they plan for the final squad but by the way it is looking it will probably be 32 or 33.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rugby union has welcomed with open arms its fair share of league defectors.
But volleyball? Now that's a different story.

Growing up in rugby-mad Auckland, Palmer Fou remembers being bagged by his mates for shunning cut-out passes for spiking.

But now that he's a signed-up member of the ACT Brumbies' Academy, his school friends are finally getting their wish.

It has been a rapid rise for Fou, who only played his first game of rugby 18 months ago.

He was spotted by Brumbies scouts starring for Souths in Queensland's Premier Rugby, and was invited down for a trial.

The rest is history.

''At school they said it [volleyball] was a girl's sport, but I didn't really care what anyone thought at the time,'' Fou said.

''One of my best mates brought me over to rugby, and I loved it.

''My speed's good, but the main thing I have to focus on is my defence and tackling technique.''

Fou admits he agonised over his decision to switch sports for five months before choosing rugby.

In his former sport he was good enough to train with the AIS volleyball program, before shoulder problems forced him to reassess.

Brumbies Academy coach Darren Coleman says many observers are shocked when he informs them of Fou's limited rugby background.

Coleman describes the 20-year-old as a ''rough diamond'' who has the raw potential needed to make it at Super 15 level.

''I knew his background when we first started scouting him, but when the other coaches or senior players see him with the ball in hand, it is hard for them to fathom he's only been playing for 18 months,'' Coleman said.

''We got him down to our trials in September, where he excelled, and got him into the Academy on the back of that.

''He's a rough diamond at the moment who has a lot of physical development to do, but he's a special athlete. He's got good speed, is great on his feet, and his ball skills are quite exceptional for someone so new to the game.''

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Where is Speight mentioned on the Brumbies website? I cant seem to find any record of him.
Also I believe Timani has signed a dev contract with the Waratahs. I guess he is trying to do a Fava and play for everyone.
When did Waqa go to Parramatta as he was at Gordon this year. Does anyone rate him? He has played mostly second grade in the Shute Shield after a promising schoolboys and 19s start.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Brumbies website, they are notoriously slow updating things. Yeah Gordon sounds more like it
Soks went back to Tonga after his visa expired, but will be back.
When did Robbie go back to Northland?

Went there in '09... but BP has said on the previous page that he has taken up his missionary since and won't be available for a few years

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ok, I am pretty sure I saw him play a game v Gold Coast earlier this year, when Quade played half and tore them up.

He scored a couple, and looked capable I guess. Lanky for sure. Elusive - reasonably. Pretty sure he also had three tries scored down his wing, albeit two from intercepts.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Very elusive but very Raw winger, still has a lot of defensive issues that comes with his lack of experience but should get better with time. I still rate a player like Aufaga Lafaele who played with Royals and Easts who was probably the premier winger in the comp a few seasons back. But obviously selectors think otherwise, but I like the look of this Pama Fou.

In response to Lily re; Waqa Vulawalu, he has had a lot of injury problems which has curtailed his progress ie Torn Bicep of Bone, Broken Ankle, Forearm and minor ones. But from reports in Sydney he started finding his feet again in the back end of this season with Gordon, fellow players saying he as back to his playing weight when he was in Aust U19/20 contention. I rate him, could be something different if he gets fit and injury free.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Also, maybe if your interested in Club Rugby in Canberra, keep an eye out for new recruits coming into the region from both within and outside Brumbies Academy, players of note obvoiusly Pama Fou but also Kelemedi Vosuga from Souths Bris both joining Vikings, Elvis Levi thought to be joining Gunghalin, Tom Pelo (ex Sydney Roosters u20) joining Royals.

Do any of you know of any other recruits coming into the Comp?

T

TheTruth

Also, maybe if your interested in Club Rugby in Canberra, keep an eye out for new recruits coming into the region from both within and outside Brumbies Academy, players of note obvoiusly Pama Fou but also Kelemedi Vosuga from Souths Bris both joining Vikings, Elvis Levi thought to be joining Gunghalin, Tom Pelo (ex Sydney Roosters u20) joining Royals.

What about young Crooke - is he going to play in local comp or cannot if he is in top tier of Academy

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies' website have only added some of their signings for next year, but have removed all the players not in the squad... except for Taumoepeau...

I wouldn't expect an accurate squad list until the new year...

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
you would expect young Crook to play in the Canberra comp, but I would be unsure as to who he will go to, due to the Brumbies Development staff being coaches at club level too, I would expect either Uni Norths or Gungahlin as have been in the past.....last year, most Academy players went to these two clubs with the exception of Lesa who went to Royals so I wouldnt expect any different. I know Royals have recruited well for next year including an established NPC player.

I am surprised though the Royals halfback Scott Patterson isnt in any Brumbies Squad, he was recognised by most coaches in the comp as the best halfback in Canberra, even had Andy Friend going down to a few of his games just to watch him. Maybe injured. Unsure, anyone can shed some light?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
you would expect young Crook to play in the Canberra comp, but I would be unsure as to who he will go to, due to the Brumbies Development staff being coaches at club level too, I would expect either Uni Norths or Gungahlin as have been in the past.....last year, most Academy players went to these two clubs with the exception of Lesa who went to Royals so I wouldnt expect any different. I know Royals have recruited well for next year including an established NPC player.

I am surprised though the Royals halfback Scott Patterson isnt in any Brumbies Squad, he was recognised by most coaches in the comp as the best halfback in Canberra, even had Andy Friend going down to a few of his games just to watch him. Maybe injured. Unsure, anyone can shed some light?

Are you forgetting Nic White? He was head and shoulders above the other halves, and was elevated straight into the 2011 Brumbies senior squad as a result.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)

James Turner from Brisbane Souths also joining Vikings, while taking up a position in the Brumbies Academy. Karl Manning from Gold Coast was joining Vikings, but returned up north shortly after arriving. Does anybody know where Spreight will play his club footy?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Are you forgetting Nic White? He was head and shoulders above the other halves, and was elevated straight into the 2011 Brumbies senior squad as a result.

He was elevated due to his performances from last season and this season with U20s, I think you will see that in games played, Royals vs Whites, even though Whites won both games, Patterson was more dominant, in fact most games, Patterson was dominant Halfback, hence why most coaches in the comp except Whites coach of course rated Patterson as the best Halfback in the comp. The oil on Patterson is that he has had Shoulder Surgery and is out till March next year, was offered Tier 1 but declined due to operation on Shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.