• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yanuyanutawa is the backup LH... but I've been hearing stories on here that he's injured and unlikely for the season...

If someone could shed some light on that it would be great...

Otherwise you would have to assume Palmer as he has some experience there? But I'm pretty sure he's been recruited as a TH...

The lock combo would have to be Chisholm/Kimlin if Kimlin is fit... however he's had ongoing injuries and I wouldn't be surprised if Friend continued with Chapman, but I feel he plays his best rugby as a blindside as he excels in the loose and excels at offloading in the tackle... and is probably the Brumbies' best longterm option there if/when Elsom leaves...

I personally prefer Hand in the second row over both Chisholm and Chapman because he seems to solidify the Brumbies' set piece... although Chapman is excellent in the lineout...

R

Rothschild

Welcome Ronnie,
BTW - I had also heard Speight and Sills weren't that spectacular/impressive in last Thursday's intrateam trials as well.
Coleman seems like a good choice for that last rookie spot. He had a good year last year (when not injured) and apparenly has fitted in really well and has great skills across the board.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I am in agreeance, I think Vaea is a good option to back up Hoiles @ No8...even a bench spot....could make an impact off the bench.
I think the back three is light on experience but could be very dangerous...Maybe a back three of Lealiifano, McCabe and Speight..

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Vaea could be the next Palu; at the same time, he could become the Brumbies own Leroy Houston. Great potential, heres hoping he makes it.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I think if Gits, lilo and Coleman get injured Huia Edmonds should play 12. Great boot on him, good chip, sound running lines and a licence to thrill.

if he made a good fist of it he could become the next Manny Edmonds and play 12 for the wallabies. Im pretty sure his running is better than both barnes and Gits,

Moral of the post: Huia Edmonds for Wallaby Inside Centre 2011 :thumb

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me if one of the Smiths take the other wing spot. Both are much better all around players than the names being thrown around currently, and with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Gits the likely centres then one will probably miss the 22 altogether. Andrew played 15 for Manly this season so wouldn't be too out of place. I would pick:

9. Valentine
10. To'omua
11. Smith/Smith
12. Gits
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
9. Valentine
10. To'omua
11. Smith/Smith
12. Gits
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano

Now that's a handy back line. I couldn't see Tyrone playing on the wing though, he looks lost at 13 at times on the wing we could see him disappear.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Having played with Sammy Wara, I hope he an replicate some of the tries he scored this year. Not so much a finisher as opposed to an out and out something from nothing bloke.

Brumbies need a game breaker like this - hoping he can get a shot, and then actually use it!

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Now that's a handy back line. I couldn't see Tyrone playing on the wing though, he looks lost at 13 at times on the wing we could see him disappear.

How about Coleman on the wing? He is one of the fastest in the squad and could play a similar role as JOC (James O'Connor) did for the Wallabies.

Reactions: FTS

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me if one of the Smiths take the other wing spot. Both are much better all around players than the names being thrown around currently, and with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Gits the likely centres then one will probably miss the 22 altogether. Andrew played 15 for Manly this season so wouldn't be too out of place. I would pick:

9. Valentine
10. To'omua
11. Smith/Smith
12. Gits
14. McCabe
15. Lealiifano

The biggest issue to me is who in that back three is likely to go 75m to score, Andrew Smith looks the only guy likely

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Welcome aboard Empire and others.

Slim - the reason why I asked about the next uncontracted player off the rank after an injury to a lock or LHP was because of the injuries to Jerry Y and Kimlin. The question wasn't really answered.

Palmer would have less idea of playing LHP than Salesi Ma'afu. I can't remember seeing him play there, even in his school days, though perhaps he has come off the bench to make up the numbers. Another LHP will have to be tracked in the trials - Ulugia doesn't seem to be around anymore and THP Jonno Owen won't answer either.

PS : To quote myself earlier in the thread:

Benny wasn't that great scrummaging at LHP for the Brumbies in the S14 this year, but that is his future IMO, and Deans will do him and Oz rugby no favours in persevering with the THP experiment.

If Jerry will not be ready to go at the start of the S15 and the Brumbies don't have the cattle in their pro academy at LHP, Ofa Fainga'anuku from Gordon and Eddie Aholelei from Manly may be interested in a one year deal. Ofa has been in the Tahs stable for a few years but is no longer with them and Eddie can play on both sides of the scrum, is a hard head, and can take the ball up.

I wouldn't know if Ofa is still interested in pro rugby or if Eddie would leave his job at Warringah Mall, but they would be two from the Sydney comp that I would recommend.

As for lock: in Noddy's secret academy provisional list earlier in the thread, Liam Linton was the only Tier One lock mentioned and he hasn't exactly grabbed my eye in the occasional games I have seen him play for Penrith or the Runners. Grab Dylan Sigg from Manly - a Kimlin type, and who wouldn't be out of place in the S15 as a 6 either.

However things are dressed up these spots are the lack of balance areas for the Brumbies. All sides have them, but to have them in tight five positions is dangerous.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
I think their is a player who can go 75 if not 100m to score a try and that would be Henry Speight.
He has a Step, pure speed and is strong in defense...remembering he was 2nd only to Jack Lam for Waikato in Turn Over ball won at the Ruck, still pretty raw but If I was to pick a back three who could create havoc, it would be Lealiifano at Fullback, McCabe on one wing and Speight on the other, its a good balance with McCabes power game, Lealiifano smart attack and vision and Speights being the Xfactor bloke. I would also think about using Sam Wara as back up to the Back Three.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)

Slim - the reason why I asked about the next uncontracted player off the rank after an injury to a lock or LHP was because of the injuries to Jerry Y and Kimlin. The question wasn't really answered.

Palmer would have less idea of playing LHP than Salesi Ma'afu. I can't remember seeing him play there, even in his school days, though perhaps he has come off the bench to make up the numbers. Another LHP will have to be tracked in the trials - Ulugia doesn't seem to be around anymore and THP Jonno Owen won't answer either.

As for lock: in Noddy's secret academy provisional list earlier in the thread, Liam Linton was the only Tier One lock mentioned and he hasn't exactly grabbed my eye in the occasional games I have seen him play for Penrith or the Runners. Grab Dylan Sigg from Manly - a Kimlin type, and who wouldn't be out of place in the S15 as a 6 either.

However things are dressed up these spots are the lack of balance areas for the Brumbies. All sides have them, but to have them in tight five positions is dangerous.

I agree with the Liam Winton comment, how he is on a Tier One contract Im not sure...maybe because of his links with Darren Coleman (Via Penrith) or Cuputo (via Gungahlin), I would say there are better 2nd Rowers and Blindside Flankers playing in the Canberra Competition that this bloke. But your right, very thin in 2nd Rowers coming through, Phoenix Battye is a massive loss for the up and comers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

But Palmer played at LHP for the Tahs this year in a few games...

I'm not sure who the next uncontracted players are in those positions though...

Lock isn't too worrying because if Kimlin injures himself again the Brumbies still have Hand, Chisholm and Chapman...

I'm also hoping that Phoenix Battye will return in 2012 when/if one or more of the above goes OS after the RWC... Battye has stated that he's always wanted to play for the Brumbies and he's only signed a 1 year rookie contract with the Force...

Cyril Towers (30)

Palmer has played LHP when required and actually started there for the tahs against the Highlanders on that memorable shocker this year. He did OK against Newlands from memory but looked a whole lot more comfortable when he moved to THP when Tilse came on.
I gather Sam Carter has been going pretty well in pre season training with the Brumbies and spending a bit of time with the top squad. Might be a bolter if there are injuries to locks

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - I had forgotten that about Palmer. I remembered Tilse starting in that game but I was wrong. Not to the point but he played well - it's coming back now.

It was a forgettable game in most respects though the Tahs shortcomings didn't have a lot to do with scrums.

R

RonnieP

Agree with Brumbies Polynesian about the make-up of the back three. Would love to see Sam Wara get a go early in the season depending on his trial form. The Brumbies must clearly think highly of him promoting him to full time after a couple of months in the Academy. Guys like A Smith, Bracken k-H, Stubbs, Coleman, To'omua, McCabe, White etc all did a couple of years in the Academy before getting called up. Watching him play quite a few games this year in the JD Cup he is a freakish talent. Reminds me a lot of Sivivatu with his ability to change direction without losing speed. A nightmare for defenders. He is also very fast off the mark. Looking at the trend in modern rugby, teams are going for a counter attacking full back ie, Beale, Muliaina, Aplon, Foden, Byrne, Kearney etc. Jason Robinson could hardly kick the ball but was the best full back in world rugby while he was playing. I doubt Sam will start but would be good to have him on the bench and can wreak havoc in the last 20 mins or so. Would like to see a backline of: Valentine, To'omua, McCabe, Giteau, A-A-C, Speight/Fainifo, Lealifano Bench Phibbs/White, T. Smith, Wara - That leaves, Coleman, A. Smith, Stubbs who I'm sure will all get their chance to impress at some stage.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Agree with Brumbies Polynesian about the make-up of the back three. Would love to see Sam Wara get a go early in the season depending on his trial form. The Brumbies must clearly think highly of him promoting him to full time after a couple of months in the Academy. Guys like A Smith, Bracken k-H, Stubbs, Coleman, To'omua, McCabe, White etc all did a couple of years in the Academy before getting called up. Watching him play quite a few games this year in the JD Cup he is a freakish talent. Reminds me a lot of Sivivatu with his ability to change direction without losing speed. A nightmare for defenders. He is also very fast off the mark. Looking at the trend in modern rugby, teams are going for a counter attacking full back ie, Beale, Muliaina, Aplon, Foden, Byrne, Kearney etc. Jason Robinson could hardly kick the ball but was the best full back in world rugby while he was playing. I doubt Sam will start but would be good to have him on the bench and can wreak havoc in the last 20 mins or so. Would like to see a backline of: Valentine, To'omua, McCabe, Giteau, A-A-C, Speight/Fainifo, Lealifano Bench Phibbs/White, T. Smith, Wara - That leaves, Coleman, A. Smith, Stubbs who I'm sure will all get their chance to impress at some stage.

I think we might want to have a look (for those of you who have watched the John I Dent Cup) at a possible bolter coming out of the woodwork by the name of Viliame Iongi. What he did in the back end of the season, and what he did to Fainifo in the Grand Final was exciting to say the least. This bloke turned down a spot for the Commonwealth GAmes and also a spot with the National Tongan Team for the end of year tour to remain in Canberra, reasons being (whats going around the traps), Mr Friend wants to see him in the Brumbies Environment, one spot remains open on the Roster, this bloke could be the one who gets it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unfortunately I couldn't see as much of the JID as I wanted to but from all accounts Iongi is a talent to hold onto...

The only problem for the Brumbies' is that they're stocked with centres...

But with the possible exodus of several players post RWC it opens up many opportunities...

Status
Not open for further replies.