• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This could be promising...

Larkham yearning for ACT reunion

BY PETER FITZGERALD AND CHRIS DUTTON, RUGBY UNION
03 Jun, 2010 08:29 AM

Stephen Larkham wants to return home to the ACT Brumbies next year and help guide the team back to Super rugby glory.

The Canberra Times can reveal Larkham is one of five candidates who will be interviewed for the role of attack coach for next season's Super 15.

The 36-year-old applied for the position last week after his father and president of ACT Rugby Union Geoff Larkham alerted him to the vacancy.

The former Brumbies and Wallabies flyhalf will have a teleconference interview next week.

The interview panel will consist of Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan, head coach Andy Friend and senior players.

While they scored more tries in 2010 than they did the season before, the Brumbies' improved player roster this year had more points in it than it produced.

Larkham has spoken with Fagan about the coaching role and is excited about the prospect of potentially returning to Canberra.

He is currently in Japan playing for the Ricoh Black Rams in the Top League competition.

''I'm preparing for the interview as best I can and I hope I'm in with a pretty good shot,'' Larkham told The Canberra Times yesterday.

Caputo and Harrison seem likely to take the forwads coaching roles after Young and Finegan were shown the door...

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
just a little of me believes the Brumbies need to make a break and move on from that oh so succesful era of Brumby rugby. I think its time for a new culture. At the very least they should stop hiring guys who haven't coached before just because they are ex-Brumbies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Geez Bernie seems to be too laid back to be a coach. He's a very clever fellow though; so one never knows - perhaps he can help to get some of those tries left on the park scored.

I wonder what his contribution to behind the scenes discussions was like when he was at the Wallabies - or the Brumbies for that matter?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think he would do a great job and prove to be a real asset in that role. I think those young fellas would really listen to an respect him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
just a little of me believes the Brumbies need to make a break and move on from that oh so succesful era of Brumby rugby. I think its time for a new culture. At the very least they should stop hiring guys who haven't coached before just because they are ex-Brumbies.

My thoughts exactly, they need to look forward for a change.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If my petit peus french still works he has apparently signed for 1 year with a 1 year option. Good on him and I hope he is making a mint over there. One of the great servants of Australian Rugby and he deserves a good retirement package. Hope he finds the work/life balance he was talking about when he retired from international rugby this year.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I actually have no idea who it is, I was just throwing it out there since there was talk of it earlier on..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
here you go

Stubbs signs on with CA Technologies Brumbies

Brumbies Academy centre Ed Stubbs has been promoted to the CA Technologies Brumbies squad for 2011 after signing on for two years.

Stubbs received his first taste of Investec Bank Super 14 rugby this year when he started off the bench against the Cheetahs. He went on to earn further caps against the Reds and Highlanders.

After starting the year in the CA Technologies Brumbies’ development program, the 21-year-old’s reputation was enhanced after becoming a key representative for the Australian Sevens side during the season, including their IRB tournament win in London and second-place finish in Edinburgh.

These on-field achievements followed in the wake of Stubbs’ stellar season for the Tuggeranong Vikings in 2009, where he played an integral role in their Tooheys New John I Dent Cup premiership.

Stubbs says he’s looking forward to following in the footsteps of his cousin, Peter Playford, in linking with the CA Technologies Brumbies.

“This is very exciting,” he said. “I was very happy to be part of the Academy this year but to make the transition into the main squad during the season and have the chance to stay there for a decent period of time was a great experience.

"I took a lot out of this year in terms of learning from the senior guys and players who’ve been part of the squad for a few years. Things like understanding attention to detail during skills work and training standards gave me an idea of where I want to get to and made me realise that the Brumbies is where I need to be to be developing my football.

“I’ve still got some work to get myself physically where I want to be. While the Sevens was a fantastic experience for me, you always drop a few kilos during the year, so my focus now is getting myself into a good condition to get a decent club season under my belt [with the Vikings], hopefully be a part of the Sevens team for the Commonwealth Games and work towards being ready to get stuck into next year’s pre-season.

“Playing Sevens has been great in terms of preparing me for the professionalism of playing at this level and playing in front of big crowds, but Super 14 is another step up again. It was unbelievable to get a taste of Super 14 this year and now I want to be doing what I have to to be a part of that Brumbies squad week in, week out.”

Head Coach Andy Friend says Stubbs is an excellent young prospect for the ACT side.

“This is a great opportunity for Ed, who showed this year that he definitely has a future playing at this level,” he said. “He’s a player who’s very committed to the development of his rugby and he’s certainly reaped the rewards of that this season.

“To have a Tier Two player playing Super 14 rugby is virtually unheard of, but Ed has been up to every challenge he’s been presented with this season and this contract the next step.

“He showed in his game time at Super 14 and with the Aussie Sevens that he has a very good skills base, he likes the physicality of the game and he enjoys running the football. He wasn’t overawed by his opportunities this season which stood him in good stead for making the step up to the main squad on a full-time basis.

“Ed follows in the footsteps of guys like Jerry Yanuyanutawa and Pat McCabe, who graduated from the Brumbies Academy last year and it’s pleasing to see that our development program is working so efficiently under Darren Coleman and that we are providing this pathway for young players.”

Ed Stubbs
Position: Centre
Physical: 1.84m, 97kg
Investec Bank Super 14 Caps: 3
Investec Bank Super 14 Points: 0
Investec Bank Super 14 Debut: 2010 v Cheetahs, Canberra

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So far, the Brumbies for next year (roughly):

Props: Alexander, Yanuyanutawa, Ma'afu, Palmer
Hookers: Moore, Edmonds
Locks: Chisholm, Hand, Kimlin, Chapman
Backrow: Elsom, Hoiles, Salvi, Fainga'a, Hooper

SH: Valentine
Flyhalves: To'omua, Giteau, Lealiifano
Centres: T Smith, A Smith, Stubbs
Wings/FB: Ashley-Cooper, Fainifo, McCabe

Obviously need another halfback and a few more backs... Robbie Coleman would be a good signing...

A proper no. 8 to replace the likes of Hoiles and Elsom when the inevitable post-RWC departures begin wouldn't be a bad thing either...

R

rugby_man

So far, the Brumbies for next year (roughly):

Props: Alexander, Yanuyanutawa, Ma'afu, Palmer
Hookers: Moore, Edmonds
Locks: Chisholm, Hand, Kimlin, Chapman
Backrow: Elsom, Hoiles, Salvi, Fainga'a, Hooper

SH: Valentine
Flyhalves: To'omua, Giteau, Lealiifano
Centres: T Smith, A Smith, Stubbs
Wings/FB: Ashley-Cooper, Fainifo, McCabe

Obviously need another halfback and a few more backs... Robbie Coleman would be a good signing...

A proper no. 8 to replace the likes of Hoiles and Elsom when the inevitable post-RWC departures begin wouldn't be a bad thing either...

Whatever happened to Afusipa Taumoepeau? Is he not with the Brumbies anymore?

A

Albert

This won't be notable to too many readers, but those with an interest in Sydney GPS Rugby might take note. Steve Brandon, the flying Joeys 1st XV winger from 2008-09, has signed with Brums Academy for 2011. Not sure if Tier 1, 2 or 3. Brandon is only small, but has absolute jet shoes. Played GPS 1s in 2009, but didn't really get a look in at higher honours. He wasn't picked up by a Shute Shield club, and has been back at home down the South Coast. Drafted into the NSW Country Cockatoos Under 20s earlier in the year, the ACT mob grabbed him. Personally, I think a pre-season in a pro setup will be brilliant for him. If nothing else, he'll set the Canberra club scene alight.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sippa's had an horrendous run of injuries the last year, the rumour I hear his contract's not going to be renewed. A shame, we can't afford to waste talent like his in Oz rugby, especially considering his size for a back.

Cyril Towers (30)
Sounds like Sippa has turned into another Pauliasi. Both great talents and both very injury prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.