• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Geez Bernie seems to be too laid back to be a coach. He's a very clever fellow though; so one never knows - perhaps he can help to get some of those tries left on the park scored.

I wonder what his contribution to behind the scenes discussions was like when he was at the Wallabies - or the Brumbies for that matter?

Are you kidding ? He was basically our backline coach for a couple of years there. There was a Mat Rogers piece in the SMH at the time where he basically said Bernie was the one breaking defences down and coming up with the set piece moves. Bernie forever !!

A

Albert

I think Nic White - Aus 20s no 9 - has signed for 2011 (rookie) and 2012 (full). James Stannard also on the books for 2011, not sure if rookie or full. Phibbsy definitely gone, looking overseas.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A couple of Scrummies for the Brumbies

CA Technologies Brumbies complete scrumhalf roster

The CA Technologies Brumbies have finalised their scrumhalves for 2011 with the re-signing of Patrick Phibbs and the elevation of Nick White from the Brumbies Academy.

Phibbs, who made his Super Rugby debut for the CA Technologies Brumbies against the Reds in 2005, has signed a one-year extension while White has signed on for two seasons.

Phibbs joined the CA Technolgies Brumbies on a training contract in 2005. He was selected for each fixture for the ACT-based side in 2010 after playing all 13 matches in 2008 and 2009. This year he recorded his 50th Super Rugby cap for the CA Technologies Brumbies against the Blues in Auckland.

The 28-year-old has also represented the Australian Under 19's (2000), the Australian Sevens squad (2001-2004) and Australia A (2008).

White, a former Australia Schools shadow squad member, joined the Brumbies Academy in 2008 and was the starting scrumhalf for the Australian Under 20's squad in their IRB Junior World Championship final against New Zealand in Argentina last month. He was also a member of the 2009 Australian Under 20's squad.

The 20-year-old Maitland-raised, Queanbeyan Whites scrumhalf was selected for last year's French Tour with the CA Technologies Brumbies where he played all four matches.

White is the fourth member of the Brumbies Academy, along with Michael Hooper, Ed Stubbs and Colby Fainga'a to be promoted to the CA Technologies Brumbies squad for next season.

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says Phibbs and White provide balance to a key position for the CA Technologies Brumbies.

“We're very pleased to have Pat and Nick in the squad along with Josh Valentine, who will provide three genuine scrumhalf options for the side in 2011,” he said.

“Pat has been a consistent performer for the side over the past six seasons. He's been a very reliable player and brings a great deal of experience having brought up his 50th Super Rugby cap this year.

“Nick showed his potential for the [Australian] Under 20's this season and has risen to each challenge he's been presented with. He's a very enthusiastic and committed young player who will make the most of his opportunities next year and beyond."

Patrick Phibbs
Position: Scrumhalf
Physical: 1.80m, 88kg
Investec Bank Super 14 Caps: 57
Investec Bank Super 14 Points: 35 (7t)
Investec Bank Super 14 Debut: 2005 v Reds, Brisbane

Nick White
Physical: 1.73m, 78kg
Investec Bank Super 14 Caps: 0
Investec Bank Super 14 Points: 0
Investec Bank Super 14 Debut: 0

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Nick White

He would be one of the lightest Super players going around wouldn't he? From sight I would have put him in the mid 80's but his height might of had something to do with that.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gio Aplon
Position : Fullback
Current Status : Fit
Date of Birth : 6.10.1982 ; Hawston
Height : 1.75m
Weight : 74kg
Club : Hawston High

Aplon takes the cake.

T

TOCC

whilst still only a academy player, Matt Lucas at the Reds is pretty dam small

Matt Lucas
Scrumhalf
29/01/1992
Weight 70kg
Height 1.71m

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well done to the Brumbies. Cheers fellas

CA Brumbies to take rugby to the Northern Territory
Thursday, 29 April 2010
Brumbies Media Unit

George Gregan at a Darwin crocodile farm during a 2003 Wallabies training camp

Brumbies Rugby has embarked on a three-year agreement with the Northern Territory Government to help bring top-line rugby to the territory.

The partnership includes playing one annual Super 15 pre-season match in Darwin from 2011, providing support and involvement in the Northern Territory’s Hottest Sevens in the World, and providing a pathway for elite players, coaching assistance and referee coaching and opportunities.

The agreement will also see CA Brumbies players and coaching staff have intensive involvement in the Northern Territory rugby community, both through the Northern Territory Rugby Union’s Sevens program and running development programs in indigenous communities such as Nhulunbuy, Jabiru and the Tiwi Islands.

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says 2011 will mark the beginning of a great partnership between the CA Brumbies and the Northern Territory.

“This is a great opportunity for us to spread the rugby message and ensure that our game is reaching every corner of the country,” he said. “There’s a strong rugby culture in the Northern Territory and this has been demonstrated by the success of the Hottest Sevens in the World tournament, which is now the biggest non-IRB Sevens tournament in the country.

“This is an exciting opportunity to bring Super 15 rugby to the Territory in the form of a pre-season match and the feedback has been very positive from the players at the news that we will be playing up there over the next three years.

“But this agreement is more than just rugby. It’s also about being involved with the local and indigenous communities and providing that pathway for talented players to realise their potential.”

Northern Territory Minister for Sport and Recreation Karl Hampton says Budget 2010 delivers $900,000 to bring the CA Brumbies to Darwin annually until 2013.

“The Territory Government is committed to enhancing the great Territory lifestyle by bringing a diversity of world-class events to our own backyard,” he said. “Rugby has a huge and growing following across the Territory, as we have seen with the popularity of the Hottest Sevens tournament.

“This Budget commitment will have the star-studded Brumbies play another Australian or New Zealand Super 15 team every February at Austar Park for the ‘Territory Cup’, in a match that will bring big economic benefits while promoting the Territory across borders through this truly international sport.”

“The chance to see world-class Rugby in Darwin will grow the local profile of the game, the international profile of the Territory and inspire a generation of our young athletes.”

R

rugby_man

That's a great initiative by the Brumbies. I think there should be a round allocated each season to playing games elsewhere, such as locations like NT, SA, TAS etc. It'd be a good chance to promote the game in areas where rugby isn't as strong as the other states.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know it isn't a big fish but with no OTHER real professional sport in Darwin with some hard work it could belong to union.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phibbs??!??!

Boooooo...

I know it won't happen but Friend needs to give Nick White some game time because we can't continue rotating between Valentine and Phibbs...

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Nick White

He would be one of the lightest Super players going around wouldn't he? From sight I would have put him in the mid 80's but his height might of had something to do with that.

u20 player profile shows as 82kg and certainly looked every bit of it when taking on the AB's u20's and Baby Boks in South Africa. I don't think size will be an issue

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've heard from people who have been watching play for Queanbeyan that he's total class...

I just hope the Brumbies offer full contracts to Battye and Coleman now... let's keep the local talent in the Brumbies...

There's been a bit of a lull in regards to local representatives in recent years...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would rather Phibbs at 9 than Valentine, but White looked very neat in the U20s

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Phibbs??!??! I know it won't happen but Friend needs to give Nick White some game time because we can't continue rotating between Valentine and Phibbs...

You have to read the tea leaves. Phibbs was give just a one year deal which, for an older player is code for: "We don't think a lot of you but we are going to need you for a bit longer because the young fellow we have hired needs a season to settle into pro rugby."

Young Nick looks good but it's better to have Phibbs around for 2011.

Hard to say why Stannard wasn't picked up by the Brumbies. I know you can't bring 7s form into the argument but he's a good footie player who Melrose had playing on the wing for Eastwood.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't get how Stannard can have a good solid season for the Force, starting at times, and can't get picked to bench for another province. He is willing to be a "pro-academy" player, so it isn't like his asking price for a full contract would be very much at all.

It's all very odd.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I don't get how Stannard can have a good solid season for the Force, starting at times, and can't get picked to bench for another province. He is willing to be a "pro-academy" player, so it isn't like his asking price for a full contract would be very much at all.

It's all very odd.

I've always found the Stannard situation very odd, he is a great bloke and a great clubman and can definitely play. Slept with O'Neill's wife?

Anyway good news for Brumbies with Frankie Fainifo returning from injury playing 15 for Vikings.

Status
Not open for further replies.