• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
What is needed more than anything else at the Brums (including big signings) is a change of attitude in 2012.
The lack of intensity in 2011 has been staggering and most evident in the lack of support play and momentum.
Why couldn't they always play like they played Vs the Reds in Brisbane? It is all in the head (fitness also important though).
Need to change mentality and attitude to hard work. That, combined with good leadership and less missed tackes will turn around fortunes. Management should make clear that Jack White will stay for the next four years, no matter what.
Anyone who don't like, press eject button.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Is Tom Alexander available or maybe even Caderyn Neville. I think they are both in the Runners. Hugh Pyle showed with the right attitude and training they might be able to become starting players. Finally can someone remind me why Ed Gower was flicked from their Academy. I know of his injuries whilst at the Highlanders. Was it for this reason or more to do with his overall performance in training and Runners games?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The good folk at The Canberra Times have revealed that Ed Stubbs has been released from his contract to go and play on the 7's circuit and Tyrone Smith is off to Japan to play with Honda - the team, not the car....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does that means an extra backline position opens up with Stubbs off at 7's?

Might that indicate that Jake already has someone in mind if they're willing to release him?

It's a shame because Stubbs is a very promising young player, but maybe some more international 7's will see him return an even better player.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good luck to him. I know that Elvis was on the bench when Hegarty had to start in that game against the Force when Moore and Edmonds were both injured but I don't think he would have got a gig in in any Super team next year.

But it does raise the question of who will be the 3rd string Brumbies hooker with a rookie from the Oz U/20 team being no. 2. If the 2011 3rd string hooker (Hegarty) had to start a game it is just as likely that next year's 3rd stringer will have to also - as Ulugia had to for the Tahs more than once.

A left field suggestion from Sydney could be the U/20 LHP, Scott Sio. He was listed in the Oz U/20 2010 team as prop/hooker so he must have had some training throwing to the lineout. And we all know how the Brumbies turned TPN into a hooker before anybody else had ever heard of him, unless they saw him play 6 or 8 at school.

I thought Scott scrummaged well in the U/20s this year and he has played for the Junior Tahs. He could provide cover for Jerry Y at LHP too if Jerry becomes ineligible. I don't like youngsters playing in the front row in Super Rugby before their time but he is a big lump of a lad and could get away with if for a while.

In a few years he could be starting material. Maybe not - but you have to take a punt sometimes on youngsters and we are just talking about 3rd string.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Slim - you quoted an AAP article in the Reds thread which included these words:

".... it's understood only back-up halfback Ian Prior (Brumbies) from the Reds' final team won't be at Ballymore next season ..."

It is only "understood" but if it happens it would explain who the 2nd Brumbies scrummie will be. Then maybe they could have Stirzacker in the pro academy as 3rd string.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Eds Stubbs will do well on the 7s tour... with only a 30 man squad every position needs to be filled by players who will be available and fit... to start the season. I hope to see Stubbs back at the Brumbies once he's finished with the 7s... Personally I like that Jake White is doing cleaning out the squad and looking for new fit performers... Perhaps they'll sign outside back AUS U20 and 7s player Kimami Sitauti.

With Stubbs and Smith gone perhaps White sees McCabe as a 12...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Personally I like that Jake White is doing cleaning out the squad and looking for new fit performers... Perhaps they'll sign outside back AUS U20 and 7s player Kimami Sitauti.

I agree mudskipper. I'd like to see a major attitude change for 2012. Overall, the most disappointing thing about the Brumbies 2011 was their lack of attitude and pride.

With Stubbs and Smith gone perhaps White sees McCabe as a 12...

I'd like to see McCabe running around in the centres, he's much more effective there than at 15.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope McCabe will be the Brumbies' permanent 13... I think he can really challenge for a Wallaby starting spot there...

He ticks all the right boxes - strong straight runner, good defender, and actually has some ball skills...

mudskipper - there has been talk in the media for a little while now that Kimami Sitauti was heading to the Brumbies... so maybe that's about to happen?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
But it does raise the question of who will be the 3rd string Brumbies hooker with a rookie from the Oz U/20 team being no. 2. If the 2011 3rd string hooker (Hegarty) had to start a game it is just as likely that next year's 3rd stringer will have to also - as Ulugia had to for the Tahs more than once.

I was under the impression that Hugh Roach was down there on a rookie contract at the moment. Although whether he'll want to stay there behind Siliva is another question.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No, Hugh was in the academy but on what tier I don't know, but almost certainly he was an amateur. This is his first year out of school and he is a bit light at 98kgs to think about being 2nd string next year. Fearless though; if he is able to pork up a bit he will be a Super player, as he was TPN-like at the school level.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
No, Hugh was in the academy but on what tier I don't know, but almost certainly he was an amateur. This is his first year out of school and he is a bit light at 98kgs to think about being 2nd string next year. Fearless though; if he is able to pork up a bit he will be a Super player, as he was TPN-like at the school level.

98kgs would be around Frier's weight. He had a pretty successful career and is still trucking on.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Only need 2 hookers in the first squad any others can be from the academy. Siliva is young enough and will have a lot to learn in his first S15 season, he will get game time. Roach was in the U20 AUS tour team so he must be a lad of promise.

T

tranquility

Moore > Siliva > Roach

That may be a very inexperienced tripod of Hookers, however the talent is unquestioned. There is no way in the world the Brumbies will hold onto all three for too much longer.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Exactly, how many Australian hookers have gone through the Brumbies Academy?

Freier, Polata-Nau, Fainga'a, Charles...

Charles was with the Brumbies' Academy last year until he was loaned out to the Force... I bet they regret that now...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
98kgs would be around Frier's weight. He had a pretty successful career and is still trucking on.

A seasoned player though. Roach is only 18 - and Siliva 20. They need a seasoned backup even if he's in the pro academy - like Ulugia was at the Tahs at the start of this season.

B

Buggles

Has anyone heard any news on Ian Prior signing. Has been rumoured for weeks, but nothing official. Worrying as at this stage Nic White is the only contracted half, with Valentine and Phibbs shown the door.

Also any news on possible imports coach is looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.