• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Valentine should stay as back-up, He is pretty good for the first half of games. Should have a decent impact off the bench. I'm also all for McCabe in the centres next year.

Im actually pretty excited about the prospects of next year. We finally get to see how To'omua will go as a regular fly-half. We may have had a poor season but the likes of Hooper, Fainga, Vaea, Coleman all now have valuable experience and will be better players next year. Kimlin is also starting to look the goods. Going to be a good season!

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Prior and Sitauti... youth youth and more youth... now the Brumbies need an experienced lock and its all covered. I think...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies signed so far?

Forwards
Alexander, Palmer, Yanuyanutawa, Moore, Silvia, Kimlin, Carter, Hand, Fainga'a, Hooper, Hoiles, Vaea, Mowen, Auelua,

Backs
White, Prior, To'omua, Lealiifano, Coleman, McCabe, A. Smith, Tomane, Speight, Sitauti, Crawford,

If this is right and its a Forward 16 & a Backs 14 mix then there are a few more spots up for grabs... did I miss anyone?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sitauti is one of the recent Qld Schools players I expected to move from up north. He's not really a Queenslander having come over from NZ just for his last year of high school IIRR and the Reds don't need him as one of their 30 contracted players anyway**.

Then there is the uncertainty of what his best position is. All that I know is that Kimani has played 13 and wing for the Oz U/20 team in the last two years and that I would be a bit scared to play him at centre first off.

Prior's move was expected but I don't know much about him. I know he was called into the Oz U/20 team last year (to replace Turner) but can't remember his play and ditto when he got a chance for the Reds this year. What are his strengths and weaknesses?

He wouldn't be eligible for a rookie contract as Sitauti would be; so the Brumbies have used up one of their valuable full contract spots. They should still have a seasoned halfback as 3rd scrummie. It's unlikely you would get an older fellow to move to Canberra on the strength of a pro academy gig but a hard head decent club scrummie who still has the dream would accept a rookie deal.

**Though I would would still like to see in the Reds 2012 thread a list of Reds players (including 2011 pro Academy players) categorised as following:
- definitely signed for 2012
- definitely leaving
- not signed yet but expected to stay
- status uncertain

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
So Brumbies signed so far?

Forwards
Alexander, Palmer, Yanuyanutawa, Moore, Silvia, Kimlin, Carter, Hand, Fainga'a, Hooper, Hoiles, Vaea, Mowen, Auelua, Owen,

Backs
White, Prior, To'omua, Lealiifano, Coleman, McCabe, A. Smith, Tomane, Speight, Sitauti, Crawford,

So they need 3 more backs and 1 forward lock... to fill their ARU 30 man quota

T

TOCC

the brumbies squad seems much more balanced then it did in 10/11, there are some question marks over the locks, but they have definetly added some size to there backs, and the backline actually looks like it could be quite good, obviously big losses in Gits and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but the addition of Tomane, Sitauti and a more mature Lealifano/To'omua/Coleman could become quite impressive.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Brumbies need to find a big lock because currently they are fecking short.

Maybe Chris Thomson has gotten good overseas?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Forwards looking alright also Carter yung tall very promising, Mowen, Vaea, Auelua, Hoiles and Fainga'a all good ball handling forwards. A seasoned lock would be good, I guess we'll see in coming weeks. However still a few backs spots up for grabs... All young but keen and thats a great start for 2012...

T

tranquility

Prior is a very good bread and butter halfback. Good pass, solid defender, sound kicking game.

He will never be Genia, but he will definitely push Nic White for the starting spot next year.

T

tranquility

I am just listening to impressive young coach Matt Taylor on the podcast.

His analysis of defensive patterns is quite amazing, and well worth a listen. He is also attributed to turning our defensive system into a first rate unit.

However in terms of defensive accuracy (as in completion to missed) he said the Reds were second in the comp this season to the Brumbies???

Huh, how bad was your attack? if you were the most effective tacklers in the comp? mind blowing..

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies were also up there for line breaks and metres gained...

Their problem was they struggled to finish off their good work with points...

It'd also be interesting to see what their penalty count was like...

rookie

Bob McCowan (2)
Ian Prior was the starting half for QLD UNI last year in a backline featuring Jono Lance (10) Luke Morahan (13) and Tevita Kundrija. He was one of the standouts in an unbeaten (bar the first game) premiership season. Apart from his passing game, defence and general tenacity, the real story here is that Prior has shown a capacity to learn and improve quickly. He is not even close to his full potential. This is a bloke who made none of the school boy rep teams, worked his way up out of colts and into premier rugby, and has been one of the players at the heart of University's revival. In short, he's done it the hard way. This is just the sort of player the Brumbies need.

He can also cover 10, 12 and fullback at premier rugby level, though I'm not sure if he's quite there yet in these posis for super rugby. He will turn out this weekend in the UNI vs GPS fixture at 10 and I'd be suprised if he didn't see more time there this year since the next best half in the comp may well be Will Thompson the bloke who's been playing halfback in his abscence. It will be interesting to see what the coaches come up with...

Status
Not open for further replies.