• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Yep you look at what a lot of these young guys have been doing over the past couple of years and it’s pretty impressive. They're certainly a new generation of quality Australian players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
[Prior] is not even close to his full potential. This is a bloke who made none of the school boy rep teams, worked his way up out of colts and into premier rugby, and has been one of the players at the heart of University's revival. In short, he's done it the hard way. This is just the sort of player the Brumbies need.

Thanks for your assessment of Prior on the last page.

Prior would not be the first player to rise after not being a star schoolboy player and the opposite is sadly true. Some of us, yours truly included, rabbit on about schools rugby, but it's not because we think that star schools players will of course be star senior players, or that non-star players will be non-star seniors, but because it's just another level of rugby to talk about.

Give us an ARC and we will talk about that until the cows come home too.

Where was I? Prior - there are many fellows who have risen through Colts and Grade unnoticed by the majority, except by followers of Colts footie and the clipboard guys attending Colts and lower Grade matches. It is good to see that the system sometimes works.

There is a lot of angst in the Schools forum about lads being selected, even pre-selected, with bias, but it is good to see that the consequence of such bias, real or not, is overcome by hard head opinions of officials who do not give a rats about how a player performed at school.

End of rant - whatever it was.

T

thesquirrel

First time post from TheSquirrel.
Lots of talk on this forum about Brumbies needing a second rower for next year. Here is one out of left field.
According to the article at http://www.flyafrica.info/forums/showthread.php?38022-Bok-Coach-Joins-The-Brumbies
Victor Matfield has backed Jake White's signing as Brumbies Coach.
A number of new signing have already been announced by White, but what if we were to see Matfield re-unite with his former mentor?
TheSquirrel has rubbed the holy Gilbert with Dencorub and a vision of Matfield in Brumbies colours emerged.
Here's hoping.

T

tranquility

It wouldn't be a bad signing, but the bloke is a shadow of his former self.

However, welcome on board buddy.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Does anyone know what is going on with the Brumbies Academy next year?

I haven't been able to find out definitively what is the plan nationally for academies, whether they will be consolidated or stay much the same.

Should the Brumbies Academy close, the JID will lose a lot of its quality. A key selling point for local clubs is the ability to set a player up for a shot at the local academy.

B

Brum

From what I've heard the national academy will be based in Sydney and Brisbane. I still think the Brumbies will have an academy of sorts but I think you'll find all the players within that set up will be Canberra born and bred as it would be harder to attract interstate players with the national academy up and running.

Empire you're right in saying the JID Cup standard would suffer from the new set up as it seems the best performers in the comp are mostly from interstate I.e. Parahi Roach Pradaud Mogg Fou Crook etc.

It seems as though the Brumbies no longer have an invested interest in the Canberra club competition as tier two academy players such as Levi Neville Alexander and Boiden were allowed to return to play in the Shute Shield. In previous years I'm lead to believe Brumbies academy members were required to commit to a Canberra club in order to take up their position in the squad.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I read in an article that Jake White was in favour of Brumbies playing in the Shute Shield as he though it was of a high quality. I believe that’s a fair call.

I also though that a brumbies academy helped recruit interstate players because they sure have educated a lot of successful players there over the years who have gone onto played at many clubs. It seems to be an ARU calling to create balance in talent stocks as Perth and Melbourne will still be recruit most players from elsewhere for years to come.

On Matfield: Why not? Experience can inspire youth...

Question; so if no academy what happens to the Brumbie runners?
Next question is Mogg related to the Raiders Mogg?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I don't think anyone would argue about the higher standard in Sydney, but does that mean that the Brumbies should just abandon their local catchment area? The disconnect between club and community appears to be growing.

If it is the case, their reason for being in Canberra is questionable - they would be a Sydney team in all but
name.

Matfield would be a great player to pick up, however a player of similar quality albeit 5 or so years younger would be preferable in my opinion.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
no plenty of talent in brumbies land worth developing... shute shield players come from all around the country including QLD. I'm more concerned they wont have a brumbies runners and the academy will have NSW stooges recruiting the best talent after the super rugby sponsorship budget pays for their development.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Justin Harrison in Sky Sports studio in UK offering expert analysis for the NZ v Fiji telecast here....

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Anybody else notice Tim Cornforth, an ACT local, playing for Southland? He looked good the other day. Not saying that he is Super level or that the Brumbies have room for him, just saying he's playing OK and looking dangerous on the other side of the ditch at the ITM level.

James Lew, an ex-Oz 7s player like Cornforth, is not appearing for North Sydney now because he is in the Southland squad too.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I heard from a South African mate that Danie Rossouw was about to sign for the Brumbies.
Any confirmation from Canberra?

T

tranquility

That would be a very good signing in my opinion. A little off track, but how has Blair Connor been going in France Sudrugby?

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Anybody else notice Tim Cornforth, an ACT local, playing for Southland? He looked good the other day. Not saying that he is Super level or that the Brumbies have room for him, just saying he's playing OK and looking dangerous on the other side of the ditch at the ITM level.

James Lew, an ex-Oz 7s player like Cornforth, is not appearing for North Sydney now because he is in the Southland squad too.

Yeah he looked very sharp for Southland in the Ranfurley Shield Challenge...everytime he touched the ball he created.....maybe another one who has slipped through the Brumbies Web....ala Jack Lam...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Jake is going to be a breath of fresh air. He was a lot more open in that article than most Super coaches who waffle on but don't tell you anything.

He is right in this quote:

It would be fair to say in Australia generally there are not too many second-rowers around. I found in Australia a lot of second-rowers are very young. I'm trying to get a more experienced guy.

Spot on Jake. You have identified a common flaw in Oz rugby: a lack of hard head candidates for positions where hard heads are needed. Instead Super teams scramble for young players, develop them and hope they stay on.

Kiwi and SAffer squads can be populated by more experienced players because they can look at them in the ITM, Vodacom or Currie Cup matches first.

Welcome to the no ARC world of Oz rugby Jake.

Status
Not open for further replies.