• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Anybody else notice Tim Cornforth, an ACT local, playing for Southland? He looked good the other day. Not saying that he is Super level or that the Brumbies have room for him, just saying he's playing OK and looking dangerous on the other side of the ditch at the ITM level.

James Lew, an ex-Oz 7s player like Cornforth, is not appearing for North Sydney now because he is in the Southland squad too.

I'm suprised that there isn't more Australian players going over there for the ITM. I could think of a fair few Brisbane club players and Super Rugby academy contracted players who'd make it at that level at least. Then again most of them work full time jobs aswell.

I also noticed Mark Swaneopol from the Force on the bench for Cantebury.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Will do him no harm at all. I never rated him before but he had a few good games for the Force when he got his chance.

T

tranquility

I think Swanny is a very good young scrummy. Good service and tough as nails.

T

tranquility

Good quote, Jake is going to be a very good signing.

""You get into a campaign where some players are contracted already. For me, I don't know all the players. I'm the first one to admit that. But I suppose the positive of that is that I don't come with any bias. I don't come with any preconceived ideas of who can do what and who should be doing what."

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I heard this a few days ago and now I see it's reported on Keo.co.za.

Jake White wants Danie Rossouw for the Brumbies.

http://www.keo.co.za/2011/07/26/boks-latest-gold-confident-of-turnaround/

Reckon it will be one hell of a signing. Just the player the Brums need in the pack. And he's getting better with age.

Just as some background. White backed Danie around 2005 and most people were against his selection. I think Danie has huge respect for Jake as a result and will take his interest seriously.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Danie at lock with Kimlin would be great for the Brumbies, I think. Add some size and aggressiveness to their pack. Maybe a small question over their line out jumpers, but Mowen is a handy enough jumper as well.

F

Fredfreduels

So what does everyone predict the team to be for the first super game?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My one and only concern of signing Danie would be his height (1.96m), and that would leave Kimlin as the tallest lock in the xv at 1.98m.

Although it would be no different to when Hand/Kimlin made up the second row.

However, that would be my only concern.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The difference between 195 cms and 200 cms can be negligible, depending on a guys reach, or how spring heeled he is.

A 195 cm guy can reach as much as a 200 cms guy can especially if the taller guy has a long neck which doesn't mean beans - and the shorter guy has a short neck and long arms. Also, a taller guy's reach can be compromised by an unfavourable articulation of the shoulder joint.

A spring heeled shorter guy can be more effective than a fellow 5 cms taller because he can be lifted from a higher starting point. Yarda, yarda.

The effect of good lifting teamwork, good throwing and good calling is more important than 5 cms in height - though all other things being equal, including scrummaging ability, you'd go for the taller player.

I'm realising now that this doesn't have much to do with Rossouw. I have digressed.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
My one and only concern of signing Danie would be his height (1.96m), and that would leave Kimlin as the tallest lock in the xv at 1.98m.

A valid concern. Danie is an excellent jumper at 2 or at the back of the lineout. Less so at 5.

I'd day they'd be okay though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A few pages back I did a profile of the Brumbies current signing and what the needed and who could back up what.

In that context take note that Hegarty has been cut by the Brumbies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)

Young Brumbies signing and UNI lock Sam Carter is 2 metres...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
brumbs have also got ben mowen now. not that he's tall, but he's another very viable lineout option. 3 not so tall blokes equal 2 taller ones?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Young Brumbies signing and UNI lock Sam Carter is 2 metres...

And has a neck like a giraffe - however he is spring heeled. I think I mentioned this before but with Mowen in a XV the 2nd starting lock need not be a super tall guy - and ditto when Fotu shows up from Japan to play some at 8. He is a good lineout man too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mowen will solve a lot of the lineout issues, having a 2m unit is nice, having three good options is more important. He will also can markedly improve the Brumbies defensive lineout, stick him at two with an attentive lifter and watch him disrupt the front and middle.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
On defensive lineouts you can often see the blindside at 2, being lifted from behind by a lock to get extra height. Mowen is handy enough at 2 in the lineout.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Crimes has been reporting that White is also waiting to hear back from a 'fringe All Black lock'.

Any ideas who that could be?

Status
Not open for further replies.