• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Just been scouring through pre season photos, and noticed the plethora of backrowers the Brumbies have in Mowen, Auelua, Pocock, Smiler, Butler, McCaffrey and Fardy, but no obvious openside flanker other than Poey. Who will cover Pocock as the backup openside? Butler?

Or are the Brumbies going to use one of the remaning 3 EPS spots on someone like Michael Gunn, who I've seen mentioned earlier in the thread?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
White calling him home? If he was surplus to requirements you'd think Leon Power would be dropped first.

Well, he was White's project player. He could have felt a bit abandoned without him.

Seeing as Currie Cup ends soon and there's plenty of SA contracts to sign, why wouldn't you go home?

This leaves both the Rebels and Brumbies chasing 2nd rowers, probably both preferring Australians but they both also have developement spots. The only great Aussie option is Timani. Maybe Peterson from the Tahs could be picked up? I don't rate him personally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This leaves both the Rebels and Brumbies chasing 2nd rowers, probably both preferring Australians but not requiring it. The only great Aussie option is Timani. Maybe Peterson from the Tahs could be picked up? I don't rate him personally.

He still seems to have a Tahs contract for 2014. I don't rate him either.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
He still seems to have a Tahs contract for 2014. I don't rate him either.

Fair enough then. Bullet dodged for both of us ;).

You guys could get that nice young U20s lock you've got in your stable in on a proper contract? He wouldn't bring much less than Oosthuizen was bringing pre-2013 season and he's a local.

Still, the fact you're got that development player spot opens up a plethora of options. I'd love to see you go Argentine.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Interesting there are five locks in the training squad - Arnold, Staniforth, McKern (wests - thanks google!), Cree & Whetton.

I suspect that are competing for a spot in the main squad. Has Leon Power been retained?

We almost had this right substitute Power insert Oosthuizen

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
The five look to have different roads travelled to the Brumbies.

Rory Arnold aka Big Dog 23 born Wagga Wagga Combined Country v BIL and season in Brisbane comp and then short stay at Griqas

Tom Staniforth 19 trained with Bumbies since school. Aust U20 rep

Jack Whetton 21 Kiwi yet to break through at Northland and Auckland son of great All Black lock

Tim Cree the chance for bench multi position player (Kimlin/Fardy)

Dave McKern the local Wests player, unknown

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Honestly, what drivel.

There's nothing admirable about giving 100% at your very prestigious high paying job. It's an expectation.

As for breaking a signed contract to live 3 hours drive from your family and because you didn't get a job you were always an outside chance to get, how is that a good reason?

a) The Brumbies gave him plenty of time in SA for "scouting missions". How many 60yo people spend more than a few weeks with their adult kids a year? Do you honestly think he'll see them much more in this situation? Doubtful.

b) You were always an outside chance for the national job. And when he says he won't apologise for chasing international ambition, he's coaching the Sharks. A lower ranked team in the same league the Brumbies are in. How's that chasing anything international?

Let's face it, that man's ego was bruised. His ego is probably what makes him a good coach but it sure as hell makes him look like a prick in this situation.

I'm not that angry about this issue, surely less than you ACT fans, but this interview is a load of crap.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Steve Larkham was on the radio today and was asked if he'd spoken to Jake since his departure and he said he's only spoke once and used words like 'bitter taste in the mouth' about how he's coaching involved with a rival team.

Now that's he's spoken, time to move on. A grudge is just a place to park your car.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Steve Larkham was on the radio today and was asked if he'd spoken to Jake since his departure and he said he's only spoke once and used words like 'bitter taste in the mouth' about how he's coaching involved with a rival team.

Now that's he's spoken, time to move on. A grudge is just a place to park your car.

There's no reason you can't use the grudge for a bit of spite when the Sharkies come to Brumby-land this year.

Other than that you're right, move on. Hell, it's potentially a great opportunity for Steve.

BlueBagger

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well, he was White's project player. He could have felt a bit abandoned without him.

Seeing as Currie Cup ends soon and there's plenty of SA contracts to sign, why wouldn't you go home?

This leaves both the Rebels and Brumbies chasing 2nd rowers, probably both preferring Australians but they both also have developement spots. The only great Aussie option is Timani. Maybe Peterson from the Tahs could be picked up? I don't rate him personally.

Can't agree more.
It's time to start giving some contracts to local talents that deserve them.
Was very disappointed to see Robbie Abel overlooked for a contract this year.
Very good pick up for the Western Force there.
Both Tom Cusack and Tom Staniforth deserve at least an EPS spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would've assumed that they knew Oosthuizen was going when they finalised the EPS spots this week..........

No need for the cute nicknames...........

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Plus with Oosthuizen gone they would most likely promote one of the EPS boys to a full contract, freeing up an EPS spot.

Not necessarily. Oosthuizen is a foreign developement player, those aren't aloud in the EPS.

To promote an EPS player and fill the spot would forfeit the right to recruit internationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.