• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Our whole-back line are wallabies.
9. N White
10. Lilo
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kiudrani
14. Henry-Spreight (should be a wallaby)
15. Mogg

Would love to see this back-line fit and playing most of the season. I don't see McCabe fitting into our current structure. Unless he plays 13, or back-up 13 or back-up outside back.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
9. N White
10. Lilo
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kiudrani
15. Mogg

Would love to see this back-line fit and playing most of the season. I don't see McCabe fitting into our current structure. Unless he plays 13, or back-up 13 or back-up outside back.

Matt To'omua and Christian back each other up at 10 but if one is injured there is a hole at 12. Pat McCabe is probably the designated backup for 12, but I would like to see Andrew Smith given a go there in combination with Tevita at 13. Andrew is the logical backup to Tevita at 13, but Pat could also play there. Clyde Rathbone is the first replacement winger but Stephan van der Walt has also shown good form in trials and in JID. Robbie Coleman is probably the first backup at 15, and could also play 10 or 12 if required, but Pat is also a contender at 15, which I believe is his best position.

There is a lot of cover for 2014, but if we lose two or three to other franchises or to retirement, who are the next development players coming through to take their places?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
9. N White
10. Lilo
11. Tomane
12. To'omua
13. Kiudrani
15. Mogg

That is absolutely spot on with my dreams as well.

Switch them around, let Lilo ignite the team at 10, like last year, and let To'omua be the axe wielding maniac straightening the backline from 12.

I've never seen To'omua play as well as he is right now at 12, he seems to have all the skills required for flyhalf but has just never really stood out there, and the same applies for Lealiifano at 12. He has everything required, but just doesn't seem to be able to impose himself on the game like he does at 10.

Fark me, what a backline that is. Pretty handy pack too:

Sio
Moore
Alexander
Fardy
Carter
Mowen
Pocock
Auelua

and best of all, that pack/backline has every player in their best position/where they play for the Wallabies, it's not a situation where we have a winger playing centre for us and then wing for Wallabies etc.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'll finish the trend and name a whole team :p

Sio, Moore, Alexander, Fardy, Carter, Mowen (c), Pocock, Butler, White (vc), To'omua, Tomane, Lealiifano (GK), Kuridrani, Speight, Mogg
Siliva, R. Smith, Murphy, Whetton, Smiler, Hoffman, Coleman, Rathbone

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Switch them around, let Lilo ignite the team at 10, like last year, and let To'omua be the axe wielding maniac straightening the backline from 12.

I've never seen To'omua play as well as he is right now at 12, he seems to have all the skills required for flyhalf but has just never really stood out there, and the same applies for Lealiifano at 12. He has everything required, but just doesn't seem to be able to impose himself on the game like he does at 10.

Bernie says "no".........

Brumbies head coach Stephen Larkham says his back-line selections won't be influenced by where his players have been picked to play in the Test side on the end-of-season tour of Europe.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/stephen-larkham-puts-brumbies-ahead-of-wallabies-20131114-2xk0f.html#ixzz2kcuuTGi7

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Firstly, well said Brumbieman 100% agree. My thought exactly.

Matt To'omua and Christian back each other up at 10 but if one is injured there is a hole at 12. Pat McCabe is probably the designated backup for 12, but I would like to see Andrew Smith given a go there in combination with Tevita at 13. Andrew is the logical backup to Tevita at 13, but Pat could also play there. Clyde Rathbone is the first replacement winger but Stephan van der Walt has also shown good form in trials and in JID. Robbie Coleman is probably the first backup at 15, and could also play 10 or 12 if required, but Pat is also a contender at 15, which I believe is his best position.

There is a lot of cover for 2014, but if we lose two or three to other franchises or to retirement, who are the next development players coming through to take their places?

The point i was trying to make with Pat McCabe is that if he was slotted into 12 it would mean changing our whole back-line structure/game plan. We go from playing 2 playmakers at 10,12 to having one playmaker and a direct runner in McCabe. (if To'omua was at 10 id imagine a pretty predictable back-line) I don't think it is a good idea to change game plans with every injury - I like the all blacks style where they slot in players who fit the game plan. I'd prefer Colman at 12 if either To'omua or Leali get injured.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
When the Brumbies had both To'omua and Lealiifano on the scene, it was Lealiifano who moved to 12 because of To'omua's lack of playing time at 12. The ill fated 'tri half' system of 2011 really shook To'omua's confidence IMO and proved he was more of a 10.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Brumbies have a lot of centers and inside backs now, including the new Saffa... I'd like to see a new up and coming winger in the mix now...

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
When the Brumbies had both To'omua and Lealiifano on the scene, it was Lealiifano who moved to 12 because of To'omua's lack of playing time at 12. The ill fated 'tri half' system of 2011 really shook To'omua's confidence IMO and proved he was more of a 10.

OK, well having seen how much To'omua has stepped it up as a 12, and Lealiifano's staggeringly good 2012 season as 10, is there any thought about switching them around?

It surely cant have been missed by Bernie and Gandalf, and while I can understand them playing To'omua at 10 because he wasn';t seen to be as adaptable, surely the last few months have induced a few chin scratching, head cocked discussions in the pub between Bernie and Gandalf?

Any thoughts?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Larkham says he knows what he wants from a 10 and what he wants from a 12 and for him that is To'omua at 10, Lealiifano at 12.
I for one won't be questioning Larkham knowing what he needs from a back.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Firstly, well said Brumbieman 100% agree. My thought exactly.

The point i was trying to make with Pat McCabe is that if he was slotted into 12 it would mean changing our whole back-line structure/game plan. We go from playing 2 playmakers at 10,12 to having one playmaker and a direct runner in McCabe. (if To'omua was at 10 id imagine a pretty predictable back-line) I don't think it is a good idea to change game plans with every injury - I like the all blacks style where they slot in players who fit the game plan. I'd prefer Colman at 12 if either To'omua or Leali get injured.

Well, that IMO depends on the 10. With Lealiifano there, McCabe was our 12 in 2012 and they carved up, because McCabe did exactly what To'omua is doing now, what Fainga'a does for the Reds/Wallabies and what Nathan Grey did 10 years ago, what Nonu does primarily (his new found kicking and passing is just a bonus) for NZ, what Tim Horan did as well:

Provide a hard, and direct running option to provide go forward and straighten the attack so that the 13 an doutside backs have space, and then eat anyone who runs into his channel for dinner in defence.

Lealiifano is the more creative passing/running, flashy 10 that makes the hard 12 really shine. To'omua is a bit more Johnny Wilkinson than Spencer, so he needs a playmaking 12 to up the unpredictability level, and then you need a big physical 13 to straighten, eg Kuridrani/Mortlock.

Lealiifano-To'omua-Kuridrani is a hell of a midfield, as you have the creativity of Lilo, To'omua giving the directness (but still able to sell a dummy or run a phase or two if the 10 is under a ruck) at 12 that is giving Kuridrani space at 13 to cause havoc. Add in Tomane, Speight and Mogg running support lines off his shoulder, and that would be a freaking nightmare to defend against, let alone attack, with the whole midfield being aggressive defenders.

With To'omua at 10, the balance isn't quite right IMO, as you're sort of relying on the creativity to come from 12, where it's a bit harder because the team is really needing go-forward there, not dancing. The 2nd flyhalf system just puts pressure on the 13 as they normally have less space and need to be bigger to get any go-forward.

Roffschoice: I agree, Bernie knows his shit, but i'm just curious as to whether things have changed with To'omua's form at 12. Thy had him at 10 because he wasn't seen to be as adaptable as Lealiifano, but with him now carving up and really playing better than i've ever seen him play, I wonder/hope that it solves the riddle of how you fit two flyhalves into a backline, and lets them play Lealiifano as a flyhalf now that To'omua has shown he carves up more at 12.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Lilo is getting more work done on his ankle (which he clearly needs) then we'll be starting the season off with 10. To'omua 12. McCabe...........

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think To'omua-Coleman is more likely.

Just watched some highlights of Brumbies v Lions. I had forgotten that Andrew Smith played 12 in that game, and played it very well including a very nice try set up to Tevita Kuridrani. Would not be the worst combination if either Matt or Christian are unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.