• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex

Allen Oxlade (6)
I see that Rod Iona has been named in the Australian Barbarians squad which is supposedly composed of players with no Super 15 contract of any kind (incl EPS).

That suggests that he is no longer in the Brumbies squad.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
The below article states '[t]he 26-man Australian Barbarians squad was chosen from players that have played in the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship not contracted to Super Rugby clubs in the most recent season', which I read as a contract for the 2015 season.

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...e-ARU-announces-Barbarians-touring-squad.aspx

However, an article from September 2014 notes that Iona earnt 'a one-year, extended playing squad contract with the ACT Brumbies' for 2015, so perhaps only full Super Rugby contracts count.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...kings-centre-rodney-iona-20140917-10hzfr.html

Either way, I'd say his selection in the NRC Barbarians does not rule out the possibility that Iona will be in the Brumbies squad somewhere in 2016.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Thanks Super G for covering that...

Does anyone have info on the Argie scrum half Possibily coming to the Brumbies in 2016
and is he playing against the Wallabies this weekend?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A direct quote from Michael Jones'(CEO) statement in the Brumbies Membership booklet just out:

"Add to that list the exciting new talent we've signed including Aidan Toua, Albert Anae and Tomas Cubelli......"

Closest I've seen to confirmation of his signing.

I'd expect he will be on the bench for the Argies in the RWC SF.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's starting I heard, was strange to see Landajo get the starting role last week.

It's a great signing. Hopefully the start of many Argies seeping into other Super Rugby teams rather than the Argie one.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is the Argie national team selection critera Super Rugby based or solely the Argentine Super Rugby team?

T

TOCC

The Argentina coach said back in 2014 that he would only Argentina based players for their national team from 2016 onwards, however i wouldn't exclude Cubelli from getting selected if he is in form. The Argentina Super Rugby team will have a hectic travel schedule which roles directly into an equally busy Rugby Championship travel schedule, fatigue and injuries will play a big part and they will likely need some extra depth.

One thing to consider when signing a Argentina test player is that he will need to be released back to Argentina for the Rugby Championship if selected.

pjm

Billy Sheehan (19)
One thing to consider when signing a Argentina test player is that he will need to be released back to Argentina for the Rugby Championship if selected.

No Super Rugby rugby is played during that so I doubt that would be a problem.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You'd think that his announcement won't be confirmed until Argentina are out of the tournament.

So Monday morning. ;)

T

TOCC

No Super Rugby rugby is played during that so I doubt that would be a problem.

Apologies, i meant the June inbound test matches, and yes they don't overlap but they do add a consideration for player fatigue due to extra travel requirements. Based on the schedule below, if Cubelli plays for Argentina on 25th Jun, he has a 6 day turnaround before the Brumbies play and that includes a 15hour flight back to Australia.

May 28: Brumbies v Japan at Canberra Stadium
Jun 11: Argentina v Romania - Argentina
Jun 18: Argentina v France - Argentina
Jun 25: Argentina v France - Argentina
July 1: Brumbies v Reds at Canberra Stadium

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Ok thanxs all... im looking forward to seeing him play... Internationals If chosen brumbies have 2 good young halves... The little blonde surfy chippy is doing well in the NRC Vikings.... Looks the goods...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ok thanxs all. im looking forward to seeing him play. Internationals If chosen brumbies have 2 good young halves. The little blonde surfy chippy is doing well in the NRC Vikings.. Looks the goods.

And Hamlin has been going quite good as well, although at NRC level. Could be different at Super level. But then, there's Michael Dowsett who now has a bit of Super experience. Powell certainly looks to have the skills to go to Super level.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Ok Havent noticed Hamlin I will look out for him... Does he have any connections with the Brumbies for 2016 ?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I noticed on my Apple TV that foxsports have some free NRC relays you can watch... Which is great... Take a look if u have one

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't think Hamlin has been signed by the Brumbies in any capacity. They reportedly have Cubelli, and then both Powell and Dowsett are on the books. A 4th halfback would be unlikely I think.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
All very exciting with so many Brumbies new and old doing so well in the Wallabies RWC squad... Just fantastic...
However after I hope Coach Larkham returns home to the Brumbies and continues his great work there with the team...

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Reports today that Larkham wants to stay on as Wallabies assistant coach, but still do the Brumbies job as well it seems.

And Cubelli doesn't appear to be locked in yet - though maybe they're just waiting for him to get back from holidays before making an announcement?

Tim Gavel@TimGavel 2h2 hours ago
Steve Larkham says he is keen to stay as the Wallabies assistant coach but needs to discuss with the Brumbies.

Tim Gavel@TimGavel 2h2 hours ago
Steve Larkham says he will know in 3 weeks whether Argentinian halfback Tomas Cubelli will be joining the Brumbies in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.