• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would have imagined if there was just one head coach in Aus capable of bringing a novice 10 through, it would be Bernie.

PS leave Quade alone. ;-)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Your QC (Quade Cooper) reference is just ho hum again

Interesting concept - and for QC (Quade Cooper) something to ponder. A team up the top end of the Super Rugby table, good forward pack, not a bad back- line looking for a 10 with experience to lead and mentor while it is being reinvented ......all under a Wallabies assistant.....food for thought. ;)

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Interesting concept - and for QC (Quade Cooper) something to ponder. A team up the top end of the Super Rugby table, good forward pack, not a bad back- line looking for a 10 with experience to lead and mentor while it is being reinvented ..all under a Wallabies assistant...food for thought. ;)

It's been said - you guys leave Quade alone!!

We may have to start reporting posts that mention Quade playing for anyone other than the Reds....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would have imagined if there was just one head coach in Aus capable of bringing a novice 10 through, it would be Bernie.

Really? none of the 10s at the Brumbies have shown evidence of that under Larkham so far

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Really? none of the 10s at the Brumbies have shown evidence of that under Larkham so far
Skillwise definitely. Game plan no. But the only real examples to gauge off are Jooste and JJH. To'omua and Lilo claim he had upskilled but it's hard to gauge with experienced players.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Holmes did well for a rookie in his stint at 10 when we had our injury crisis a few years ago. Both To'omua and Lilo have developed well.

Foley miraculously developed a long ball game during the RWC under Larkham too.

Sure the attack in general could be shit loads better... but hope is not all lost.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting concept - and for QC (Quade Cooper) something to ponder. A team up the top end of the Super Rugby table, good forward pack, not a bad back- line looking for a 10 with experience to lead and mentor while it is being reinvented ..all under a Wallabies assistant...food for thought. ;)

He would fit in perfectly in the team. Not sure he would enjoy Canberra too much though after living and loving the QLD lifestyle his whole life.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Holmes did well for a rookie in his stint at 10 when we had our injury crisis a few years ago. Both To'omua and Lilo have developed well.

Foley miraculously developed a long ball game during the RWC under Larkham too.

Sure the attack in general could be shit loads better. but hope is not all lost.

We get to disagree there and Foley has always been able to use a long pass. The Tahs philosophy has grown to favor through the hands with fewer cut outs

What baffles me about Larkham is that he played in some of the most structured attacking rugby sides ever and I don't see any attacking structure or plan for the ponies except kick to the corners, lineout and maul.

Reactions: mst

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
We get to disagree there and Foley has always been able to use a long pass. The Tahs philosophy has grown to favor through the hands with fewer cut outs

What baffles me about Larkham is that he played in some of the most structured attacking rugby sides ever and I don't see any attacking structure or plan for the ponies except kick to the corners, lineout and maul.

Baffles me as well.

Suppose it goes to show that great rugby players don't necessarily make great coaches

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I agree with you there about Larkham. As an attacking coach he has shown nothing at all. Which is so baffling given he's the wallabies attack coach, has played in successful RWC campaigns under the likes of Connelly, Eddie Jones, coached under White and Cheika. That's a pretty damn good apprenticeship for coach but it isn't paying dividends.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^ appears to be too risk averse.
Which is a puzzling trait for a member of Cheika's coaching staff.

Absolutely.

Possibly Jake White's influence is to blame. He's basically doing a simplified/amateur version of White's game-plan with less variation. At least White attacked in the opposition half, Brumbies have even been scared to do that this year opting for scrums and line-outs instead.

It's like he has "play to your strengths" mentality instilled in him - which is set-piece and mauls. Which is smart, as long as you mix it up occasionally to keep the opposition guessing. Which is what Jake White did. But Larkham seems to completely abandoning everything else which makes a very predictable and one-dimensional team.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
Sometimes wonder if the people who comment in this forum actually watch the games.
So the coach of a team which has made the finals the last four years when he has been backs coach,co coach and head coach doesn't know how to attack despite being the leading try scoring team from Australia this year.
Fly half haven't developed despite both To'omua and Lealiifano both being in the wallaby squads all during this period ( someone must think they are doing well) and the Brumbies wingers being the leading backs try scorers in several of theses seasons.
That's right they have no structure, seriously would you know, because if you can't see it then the problems isn't with Larkham.
I understand it when the trolls from other teams supporters come out with this rubbish but disappointing to see Brumby supporters sucked in.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Sometimes wonder if the people who comment in this forum actually watch the games.
So the coach of a team which has made the finals the last four years when he has been backs coach,co coach and head coach doesn't know how to attack despite being the leading try scoring team from Australia this year.
Fly half haven't developed despite both To'omua and Lealiifano both being in the wallaby squads all during this period ( someone must think they are doing well) and the Brumbies wingers being the leading backs try scorers in several of theses seasons.
That's right they have no structure, seriously would you know, because if you can't see it then the problems isn't with Larkham.
I understand it when the trolls from other teams supporters come out with this rubbish but disappointing to see Brumby supporters sucked in.

Chronicle, your points are fair but take things in context - Lilo and To'omua being part of the Wallabies squad doesn't actually mean that they have 'developed' - they were part of it previously and there hasn't been a lot of other choices - Foley and who else given that the Reds, Force and Rebels haven't really had a good 10 available with experience.

When Tomane was playing earlier in the season and was in fantastic form (best I can recall him being in) before injury he was scoring tries, but since then their game has certainly seemed to be based around the maul and scoring off that. Perhaps I am wrong and you have watched it more closely but that appeared to be their main play. Given that they have had a Puma and at times 5 WBs in their backline I expected better.

T

Train Without a Station

Chronicle I have to ask do you watch the games?

Can you credit Larkham for his backline and attack coaching based on tries scored if a high percentage of the Brumbies tries were scored from mauls?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Your referring to when White was coach. The last 2 years at the Brumbies we have seen a decline in back-line play and a decline attacking mentality.

Majority of tries are are built from mauls, or forwards slowly building pressure until an overlap out-wide develops for the winger to score an easy try.

Backline-play has declined. You would know this if you watched the games.

Prime example is every scrum holding the ball at the back until we win a penalty, every single line-out going for a maul. The option to send it to the backs always seems like a last resort.

Larkham has done a decent enough job as head coach taking us to the finals. But as an attack coach he doesn't do a lot of attacking.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Sucked into what?!

Anyone that has watched them play this year can see how poor the backline has been.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Has anyone at the Brumbies thought of making an approach to Angus Crichton with a view to tempting him back to rugby? The Brumbies could do with a hard-nosed number 8, and Angus is a localish lad. I'd wager his football career isn't going to go anywhere at Souths.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has anyone at the Brumbies thought of making an approach to Angus Crichton with a view to tempting him back to rugby? The Brumbies could do with a hard-nosed number 8, and Angus is a localish lad. I'd wager his football career isn't going to go anywhere at Souths.

Souths have him signed until the end of 2018 and he has been playing NRL for the last few weeks (albeit in a team that is struggling massively this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.