• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There's more to it than this though. You might be fit to play but you're way behind in terms of working with your teammates and understanding team structures and plays etc. which affects everyone in the team.
Players generally lose strength and fitness during a season because of the need to be ready to play each weekend.
Without an off season there is no time to get back the preseason strength.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What are everyone's thoughts on Hewera?

ATM a poor man's Quade Cooper. Runs like Quade with a bunny skip to start; tries to beat a tackle like Quade (actually QC (Quade Cooper) did beat most tackles, WH just tries); many questionable decisions; not the strongest tackler (though probably better than QC (Quade Cooper)); hit and miss goal kicker.

But he's learning. He came into the Brumbies when they were in a poor situation - To'omua off overseas and Lealiifano struck down with cancer. He has done a passable job, and I hope he is able to build on that over the next couple of years.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, he's not the worst backup flyhalf..........

He's performed better than some of the more fancied no 2 (and a couple of first choice) options at other teams.

I do wish we had Zack Holmes back in Australia though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
What are everyone's thoughts on Hewera?

Why are they re-signing him? We obviously need to unearth some 5/8 talent to back up Foley and to step in when he is finished. With one of the franchises about to be canned and Lealifano back on deck for 2018 surely they could give that contract to a youngster?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
they already have jooste as a youngster, and the Force will only have Lance and Burton available, but the Rebels are losing Debrazcinin and hopefully losing Bachop. They are getting Horwitz but still doesn't leave any appropriate youngsters running around without a contract. From the last few years of Aus u20s, Mcintyre, Deegan, Greene, Mcgregor, Mason, Stewart and Jooste have all had/have contracts. Maybe the Brumbies could grab Greene who is finishing up in Japan after leaving the Reds.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To be fair, he's not the worst backup flyhalf....

He's performed better than some of the more fancied no 2 (and a couple of first choice) options at other teams.

I do wish we had Zack Holmes back in Australia though.

Not the point, he ain't near the best and he will never be that, so what is the point of him?

To me, these kind of units are the metaphor with what is wrong with Aus super rugby. They just add little value being the "back up", that role should be for a young Aus 10 there to learn and develop.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not the point, he ain't near the best and he will never be that, so what is the point of him?

To me, these kind of units are the metaphor with what is wrong with Aus super rugby. They just add little value being the "back up", that role should be for a young Aus 10 there to learn and develop.

I personally think every team should have 3 x flyhalves or at least 3 guys who can play flyhalf.

1. First choice
2. Development player (usually fresh off u20 campaign)
3. Solid flyhalf option - not a teenager if your first choice goes down, maybe can play another position.

2018 (reds/tahs/brumbies/rebels (imaginary))

1. Quade, Foley, Lealiifano, Lance
2. Stewart, Mason, Jooste, Mcgregor
3. DP, Hegarty, Hawera, Horwitz

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Is 10 still considered Jooste's best position? From reading comments on here I thought he was considered more a 12 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.