• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Why are they re-signing him? We obviously need to unearth some 5/8 talent to back up Foley and to step in when he is finished. With one of the franchises about to be canned and Lealifano back on deck for 2018 surely they could give that contract to a youngster?

Now this goes back to the question are the Super Rugby franchise there to service Aussie rugby or win for themselves? The old schools will tend to say the former, for country but most of those are from the bigger and topped up franchises.

If Aussie rugby was structured in a centralised pro-Aussie regime I would agree and we wouldn't have good viable prospects siting on the beach at other franchises.

But in this case no. His 2 year deal puts him on the fringe to qualify for Australia. and TBH Lilo still needs to be managed for a period. He is a good option that's been in the Brumbies system for a year and provides a few contacting options including heading towards qualification for Australia or cutting him is necessary without to much "obligation" being he can return home.

We are still in the dark about Jooste but suspect there is something up (dud or injured) or its just the usual issue with Aussie coaching to hold back players unlike everywhere else on the planet.

This argument was run and done when the Tahs signed Potgiter and Pat Sio and the like were overlooked and went O/S. Due to the current lack of 10's at least give some credibility to signing foreign 10's.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
No shock that Alcock and Ah Wong are also off according to this article. Shame on both fronts, but I guess we can't promise game time ahead of Pocock and Kuridrani respectively.

Also says Toua is going. That's a real surprise to me; it seemed that whenever he was fit, we found somewhere in the starting lineup for him.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Alcock for Pocock ensures less work for the locker name plate writers. I bit shocked both Butler and Alcock went as I would have expected one or the other to go.

Toua is rumoured to be heading to the Honda Heat.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not surprised by Toua. Will be 28 soon, not a youngster, fairly injury prone so would struggle to pull in a salary meaningful enough to add value for life after rugby. All the best to him and his young family.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I thought Jooste was contracted for next year. So released then? Disappointing for him

Was a 2 year deal signed back in 2017. When you combine the injury toll, the fact he didn't get any Super rugby minutes and that Jackson-Hope, Hawera, Godwin and potentially Lealiifano are there you can see why. I thought he could have also been a backup fullback since it seems Banks has that role sewn up and can kick, which is something the Brumbies lacked big time, ever since the departures of Mogg and White.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Poor kid is still U20, should be a development player like Mason, Mcgregor and Stewart, still a lot of value to be gained there over time. Over time.

Far to much expectation on a teenager who wasn't exactly a world stopping teenager like Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Poey etc were. Those guys were amongst the best in the world in their cohort, Jooste is barely a starter in Aus in his cohort.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Poor kid is still U20, should be a development player like Mason, Mcgregor and Stewart, still a lot of value to be gained there over time. Over time.

Far to much expectation on a teenager who wasn't exactly a world stopping teenager like Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Poey etc were. Those guys were amongst the best in the world in their cohort, Jooste is barely a starter in Aus in his cohort.
Very well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Hi Brumbies fans, need some advice.
Planning a small trip up the Hume with some mates for the Argentina match in a month:

(1) Is it worth shelling out for the gold/platinum tickets at GIO? Or are most seats pretty well placed?

(2) Having no knowledge of Canberra, does it matter where we stay? Should we be looking near the stadium or is easy to uber/public transport around the place?

(3) Pubs/bars nearby for before or after the game?

Cheers.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
Most of the seats in the stadium are pretty good. The western side is closer to the ground and gives a better view imo. That is also the side the reserves sit, and the tunnel to the change rooms. It is up to you whether you think the $101 is worth sitting closer to halfway than the $81 gold tickets.

GIO stadium is not near anything. It has no bars or hotels nearby. You won't be able to walk to it no matter where you stay. Most locals catch the free bus to the stadium. I would stay somewhere in the city, start off somewhere like Bent Spoke in Braddon, then catch the bus to the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most of the seats in the stadium are pretty good. The western side is closer to the ground and gives a better view imo. That is also the side the reserves sit, and the tunnel to the change rooms. It is up to you whether you think the $101 is worth sitting closer to halfway than the $81 gold tickets.

GIO stadium is not near anything. It has no bars or hotels nearby. You won't be able to walk to it no matter where you stay. Most locals catch the free bus to the stadium. I would stay somewhere in the city, start off somewhere like Bent Spoke in Braddon, then catch the bus to the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would guarantee there'd be an Air BnB in the area if you book early.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Hi Brumbies fans, need some advice.
Planning a small trip up the Hume with some mates for the Argentina match in a month:

(1) Is it worth shelling out for the gold/platinum tickets at GIO? Or are most seats pretty well placed?

(2) Having no knowledge of Canberra, does it matter where we stay? Should we be looking near the stadium or is easy to uber/public transport around the place?

(3) Pubs/bars nearby for before or after the game?

Cheers.

Hey DCT
I don't think there's bad seating at the stadium. The seating is tiered better than ANZ for example. We've always sat behind the goal posts at the southern end where you have a clear view of the big screen, and have no complaints. That being said we sat 3 rows back on the halfway line for the QF and that was pretty sweet too.

Your tickets will come with free bus travel to and from the stadium from the major Centres, but if it was me I'd probably opt for getting something in the city if possible. There's plenty to choose from at different budgets. Good pubs and food. The Duxton and the RUC are both reasonably close to the stadium, and I think you can get shuttles from both. There's not lot in the immediate vicinity.

Should be a good night, and hopefully not to chilly for you. Bring some layers no matter how warm it says it's going to be.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
D.C. - you won't want to stay near the stadium as there's not much around.

Braddon (next to the city) is full of good bars and restaurants and there'll likely be buses going to and from the stadium from around there, or at least from the city.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Thanks guys - really appreciate the info.
Here's hoping for a good weekend and a Wallabies win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.