• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Maybe wait a while before you start picking over the corpse.
While It probably is in bad taste, I think the nature of the player market means that Australian teams will need to get moving early to sign these players. I doubt that French and other international clubs will be waiting to start throwing offers at these players.
I think that the removal of the Force is criminal, but the silver lining is clubs like the Brumbies might be able to operate with more depth. I think they need to act fast to ensure that these players aren't lost to Aussie rugby and the effect of the cut is lost.

T

TOCC

The players aren't un-signed, any player who had signed with the Force will have their contract honoured by the ARU(as they should). All the teams will have their contingency recruitment plans based on whether either the Force/Rebels were cut or retained, managers and coaches would likely have put the feelers out many months ago. Things will be happening behind closed doors and will come out in time.

But as a fan forum, it's in bad taste and we don't really need to invoke more anger on an already emotive issue for WA fans.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

I wonder if this deal will be called out and questioned and IMHO rightly so under the current climate. IMHO the deal stinks.

The ARU have blocked other players signing deals to play elsewhere (including ITM) and then return to a Super Rugby team in addition to insisting that players stay and play NRC.

Nothing against Lilo but is this another ARU special deal?

Can we revisit Alcocks contract options? The Top league finishes well before the Pro 14.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if this deal will be called out and questioned and IMHO rightly so under the current climate. IMHO the deal stinks.

The ARU have blocked other players signing deals to play elsewhere (including ITM) and then return to a Super Rugby team in addition to insisting that players stay and play NRC.

Can we revisit Alcocks contract options? The Top league finishes well before the Pro 14.

The bloke just recovered from cancer. He deserves a "special" deal. Fuck me.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Well yes, but surely for CLL some accomodations can be made. For goodness sake, under the circumstances he isnt just special to the Brumbies, he's special to all of Australia. And he needs a bit of game time.

Let him go I say.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

So your work place makes decisions based on a particular persons illness and give them special benefits because of it?

I don't see the Force players getting any special deal even though they are all unemployed. They even have to uproot family.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Leali'ifano had a contract that allowed him to play the last off-season in Japan. Obviously that didn't happen.

I guess the Brumbies have allowed him to use the entitlement this off-season.

All the Super teams have had this allowance for the last couple of years to offer one player this sort of contract.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Leali'ifano had a contract that allowed him to play the last off-season in Japan. Obviously that didn't happen.

I guess the Brumbies have allowed him to use the entitlement this off-season.

All the Super teams have had this allowance for the last couple of years to offer one player this sort of contract.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

But that deal or option has not been available this year. Brumbies asked the ARU if they could use it with Toua and it was refused.

This deal is outside of the margins.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
So your work place makes decisions based on a particular persons illness and give them special benefits because of it?

I don't see the Force players getting any special deal even though they are all unemployed. They even have to uproot family.

Most workplaces would do that. Mine certainly does. It's called compassion.

I think it's low to criticise a company or body by making a decision based on compassionate grounds. It's for the best interest for the health of a fellow human being.

The Force debacle should be completely unrelated in my view.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
My workplace, ironically, doesn't. Oh, they say they do, but words and actions.........
Anyhoo, probably fair enough he has some leeway, given the tough road he has had to travel. I just hope he does not get injured - I want to see him fit and firing in Super and Test rugby here next year!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My workplace, ironically, doesn't. Oh, they say they do, but words and actions...

Neither does mine, but we would be both paying for those special benefits out of our own money, not some nebulous shareholders or tax payers.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
My employer does. He did when we were public. Has done again since he privatised.

No need to be jealous though, let's just give Christian a break.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think it is down to his talent and ability, the reality is that is the usual key ingredient in the flexibility of any deals. So Pocock gets a paid sabbatical, while the 36th on the squad list gets sweet FA

Status
Not open for further replies.