• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
This is a great outcome of Christian and Brumbies. The Brumbies get their best player playing top level rugby again. Christian gets away from the being reminded of his illness and to focus on playing footy. Win win!
My thoughts exactly. I think his case is a little different to others.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
From my perspective I look at the deal in terms of the equality for players. I have no issue with Christian being given certain exceptions on compassionate grounds but where does it stop? Is he sick ATM (still) or is he now the same as all the other players and fine to play?

In regards to him missing out on going to Japan last year it is no different than any player getting injured and unable to fulfill the contract (EG: Folau and Kepu).

In the past the likes of Stanaforth have been refused the option of going O/S to play (like to the ITM for development reasons - so he wasn't allowed to do what he believed would improve his game and get him more game time.

This year the ARU have made it clear that if you go O/S (unless there is a deal already in place like George Smith or Pocock) then you cannot sign a Super Rugby contract for 2018. You either stay or go and take your chances after you end you O/S contract.

The Brumbies sought an exception for this with Toua and were refused. the same with the Reds and Magnay. This has also effected players like Alcock and Ah-Wong. We may not see them return to Aussie rugby in the foreseeable future because of it.

This decision also impacted all the Force and Rebels player who's futures was under a cloud. If they choose to maximise there income (hedge their bets and provide some safety net) knowing they may loose their Super Rugby contract and the real possibility they may never get another Super Rugby contact in Australia, again they were not give the option to do so.

The ARU have been absolute that the NRC needs the top non-Wallaby players playing where possible. With Hawera most likely going home (or playing ITM) that now makes a mockery of the NRC priority as the Viking have no known 10.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
MST in all of those examples it was never in the clubs best interest for the player to go OS. In this case, it is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
From my perspective I look at the deal in terms of the equality for players. I have no issue with Christian being given certain exceptions on compassionate grounds but where does it stop? Is he sick ATM (still) or is he now the same as all the other players and fine to play?

In regards to him missing out on going to Japan last year it is no different than any player getting injured and unable to fulfill the contract (EG: Folau and Kepu).

In the past the likes of Stanaforth have been refused the option of going O/S to play (like to the ITM for development reasons - so he wasn't allowed to do what he believed would improve his game and get him more game time.

Just as they get paid the most, the best players get preferential treatment in terms of contracts and perks/incentives.

It's the same in every aspect of life in pretty much any career.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just as they get paid the most, the best players get preferential treatment in terms of contracts and perks/incentives.

It's the same in every aspect of life in pretty much any career.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Those who play the boys club game the best is what you mean, in every career and aspect of life. Its who you know not what, if we are truly honest.

T

TOCC

MST in all of those examples it was never in the clubs best interest for the player to go OS. In this case, it is.

Is that really the case though?
I completely sympathise with the guy, but if this were just about bringing him back into the fold and getting some game time under his belt then why not do it via the NRC, followed by a solid pre-season with the rest of the Brumbies squad. Sure England offers a superior level of competition to the NRC, but the opportunity cost of that is a full pre-season with the rest of the squad.

It seems like a financial decision if anything, maybe that was a clause in his contract that allowed him to take it up. Personally i don't have any issue with guys like Lealifano/Magnay etc taking up these flex-contracts, if it increases their earning power and keeps them in Oz Rugby then brilliant, manage them carefully and they can benefit Australia in the longer term.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting news regarding Hewat. What is his coaching background? I recall he had a short training stint here as a player a few years ago so he does have a connection with the club

T

TOCC

intersting signing... would have thought they might try and test him in the NRC before promoting him to the Brumbies Assistant Coach

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
intersting signing. would have thought they might try and test him in the NRC before promoting him to the Brumbies Assistant Coach
Not really. He's been with Suntory as a coach for 5 years.

The assistants for the NRC side are local club coaches or coaching assistants

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
More importantly, how were Suntory's backs under Hewat? Anyone got any idea?

Also loved an article I read today listing Meakes as one of our targets to fill one of those two backlines spots.

T

TOCC

Not really. He's been with Suntory as a coach for 5 years.

4 season as assistant and backs coach, New Zealand uses their ITM cup to have the coaches develop under the coaching style and game plan that the Super Rugby teams and All Blacks are developing. Wouldn't be a horrible thing for Australia to do similar.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
4 season as assistant and backs coach, New Zealand uses their ITM cup to have the coaches develop under the coaching style and game plan that the Super Rugby teams and All Blacks are developing. Wouldn't be a horrible thing for Australia to do similar.

We definitely need more of that to improve the pathway of becoming a professional coach domestically but that isn't realistic with someone like Hewat.

If you want to hire him, it's going to be as a Super Rugby coach. His coaching career has already advanced beyond what the NRC can offer in terms of both development and salary.

T

TOCC

We definitely need more of that to improve the pathway of becoming a professional coach domestically but that isn't realistic with someone like Hewat.

If you want to hire him, it's going to be as a Super Rugby coach. His coaching career has already advanced beyond what the NRC can offer in terms of both development and salary.

Salary yes, development wise I don't agree.
I think it's absolute crap to suggest that there's no development benefit for someone, whose coaching skills is limited to 4 seasons as assistant coach in Japan to take up a role as head coach of an NRC team in Australia.

I'm not saying he is a bad coach, but if this were New Zealand, Hewat would be coaching an ITM Cup team in 2017, firstly to reintroduce him to the systems and style that they are trying to coach, get him familiar and hands on with the players who are generation next, and to ultimately test his ability.

Current kiwi coaches like Boyd, Rennie, Brown and Robertson all earned their stripes in the ITM cup, even after experience overseas. Australias coaching development and pathways are one of the reasons we are where we current are.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Salary yes, development wise I don't agree.
I think it's absolute crap to suggest that there's no development benefit for someone, whose coaching skills is limited to 4 seasons as assistant coach in Japan to take up a role as head coach of an NRC team in Australia.

I'm not saying he is a bad coach, but if this were New Zealand, Hewat would be coaching an ITM Cup team in 2017, firstly to reintroduce him to the systems and style that they are trying to coach, get him familiar and hands on with the players who are generation next, and to ultimately test his ability.

Current kiwi coaches like Boyd, Rennie, Brown and Robertson all earned their stripes in the ITM cup, even after experience overseas. Australias coaching development and pathways are one of the reasons we are where we current are.

A head coach role at a Mitre 10 Cup side wouldn't necessarily be a backwards step though. The likelihood in an NZ situation is that the prospective coach would have probably done that first, rather than working for 5 years overseas.

Whilst the Brumbies could have structured it such that he was going to be head coach of the NRC side prior to taking up an assistant coaching role with the Super Rugby side I don't think you could realistically lure someone back to Australia on that premise without the guaranteed assistant coaching gig in Super Rugby.

We need to get it to that point where the NRC head coaching gig is a reasonable stepping stone to Super Rugby level even for coaches with a decent amount of international experience, but I don't think we've reached that point yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.