• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^

This academy business sounds promising.........

The ACT Brumbies will give a host of schoolboy stars a chance to launch their Super Rugby careers as the club prepares to reinvest in an academy pathway.

Brumbies talent scouts have lured Australian Schoolboys centre Noah Lolesio to the capital as part of the George Gregan scholarship partnership at the University of Canberra.

But coach Dan McKellar revealed the Brumbies want to rebuild junior opportunities after the academy system was fell away when ARU funding was cut six years ago.

Lolesio, who played in Australia's loss to New Zealand in Sydney on Saturday, is set to be a part of a young group of players who will train with the Brumbies during the Super Rugby pre-season.

It's the same pathway Ben Hyne, Andy Muirhead, Mack Hansen, and Ryan Lonergan have followed to secure Super Rugby deals.

The ACT Schoolboys side won the national championship this year for the first time since 1988.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cusack's showings in the NRC have probably earnt him that starting 6 spot next year, he's just unstopable. Hell, apart from Makin, the entire Vikings forward pack could probably find a spot in the side next year.

Reactions: mst

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sio, Ala'alatoa, Carter, Pocock, and Naisarani should expect to start each week. But who's in the backrow? Any of Hyne (if he's fit), Valetini, Fakaosilea, and Cusack could fit. And the hooker spot is up for grabs, though I expect we'll see Mann-Rea start and Fainga'a on the bench. Sione probably won't overtake Mayhew but who knows? He certainly has potential. Enever is still the go-to bench option, but I expect him to start a few games and we may even see Swain on the bench for a few games.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The backrow is likely to, or rather should be........

6. Cusack /Valetini
7. Pocock
8. Naisarani

I think Cusack is most likely to start with Valetini to add impact off the bench, but those two and Naisarani could rotate throughout the year.

Hyne to come into consideration when he returns from injury.

McCaffrey to rotate onto the bench for some games........

Fakaosilea to play John I Dent Cup.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I have been really impressed with Dargaville's form. Looking really good and could push for run in the centres. He could push TK to keep him in form.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies have the potential for an incredibly balanced forward pack. Is Butler still signed for you blokes?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Brumbies will finish last in the Aus conference next year with only Pocock and Sio able to win Wallabies' selection. And even then, Scott is destined for the bench making way for the return of James Slipper.

T

TOCC

Battle for the pre-pre-season underdog is already won by the Waratahs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Battle for the pre-pre-season underdog is already won by the Waratahs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In what Universe TOCC? Tahs have 9 or more regular members of the Wallaby squad, 8 of whom make the match day 23. On that basis, they must be favourites to win the comp next year. I'm sorry, but you seem to be disseminating fake news.

T

TOCC

In what Universe TOCC? Tahs have 9 or more regular members of the Wallaby squad, 8 of whom make the match day 23. On that basis, they must be favourites to win the comp next year. I'm sorry, but you seem to be disseminating fake news.

Clearly using Wallaby representation is a failed metric given it’s a conspiracy by NSW to further Waratahs representation at a national level.

Brumbies have the great Dan Palmer coaching the best set piece in the competition and the return of the great Laurie fisher.. they are worth 4 Wallaby selections apiece

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Clearly using Wallaby representation is a failed metric given it’s a conspiracy by NSW to further Waratahs representation at a national level.

Brumbies have the great Dan Palmer coaching the best set piece in the competition and the return of the great Laurie fisher.. they are worth 4 Wallaby selections apiece
Dan's coming back to play 9 and 10..plus packing down ever second scrum at THP

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Pffft. Nice Try. With the Reds having the super forwards coach take over from the super forwards coach the Reds have the best set piece going around. Even has legends bolted on like the great G Smith let alone the tales of the legendary coach.

The Tahs have an all Wallibies back line, Wallaby forwards. FFS, the other teams only have players selected to make up the number to give the impression of fairness. It why they cut the Force - too many fricken Force player being selected was getting in the way of the Tahs players being selected.

But you also have Izzy. Yep, him. The multi-million dollar try scoring machine. That's on top of the best 10 on the planet and best 7 in the galaxy.

We don't even have a back who is a dead set starter in the Wallibies back line. Sure TK come close, but he has to share the spoils with Samu "the Defender" Kerevi.

Our locks are not worthy, our props are coming along . Pocock. you say - nothing without Hooper by his side.

With it being hard to tell where the Wallibies end and the Tahs start; the Rebels having a triple don't talk about it, business in confidence - salary cap with all the ex -force Wallibies and emerging talent with a few Rebel left overs as token gestures the and the expensive absolutely "Reds always or nothing" man they will be hard ensemble to beat.

Us, well we will be lucky to come forth out of all the Aussie franchises. IMHO we will lucky if our Kiwi no quite good enough 10 wins us a game or two.

But, worse case, if all else fails, we will run Godwin @ 12 and every teams will be worried by his running (on the spot) game!

Yes, we have a coach for every occasion and every facet of the game (I think we even hired a coach for the waters boys, ball boys, bloke that mows the grass), and yes McKellar could take the year off and has all the coaching covered for him, but that just proves that we need as much help as possible.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Since when has that made a difference to how the Tahs perform? In fact there may even be an inverse relationship between representative players and performance for the Tahs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nice try Gnostic, but with 9 current Wallabies and Folau, Beale, Foley, Hooper and Kepu, and maybe Phipps, all on ARU top ups, anything less than top of the conference should be totally unacceptable. And no doubt a couple or more of the ex-Force stars to help along the way.

No, if they have the most Wallaby stars and the highest ARU top up supplement, then they are without doubt the worthy favourites for at least our conference.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bloody Hell, I don't know how I could have overlooked it, but with Rob Simmons also there next year, that will bring the Tahs complement to at least 10 and maybe with another ARU top up. Lay down misere now.
BTW, it might look lie I'm off topic, but these observations are made to illustrate the weakness in the Brumbies playing stocks for the next year or more. I can't be wrong if I'm just pointing out the realities of the Wallabies squad at the present time.

Status
Not open for further replies.