• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't worry lads. You're doing ok.

15 Banks (Wallaby training squad)
14 Speight (Wallaby)
13 Kuridrani (Wallaby)
12 Godwin (Wallaby)
11 Dargaville (Hack)
10 Lealiifano (Wallaby)
9 Powell (Wallaby)
8 Naisarani (Wallaby in waiting)
7 Pocock (Wallaby)
6 Cusack (Olympian)
5 Arnold (Wallaby)
4 Carter (Wallaby)
3 Ala'alatoa (Wallaby)
2 Mann-Rea (Wallaby)
1 Sio (Wallaby)

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lineout, general Rob Simmons make the tags unstoppable

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

15 Banks (Wallaby training squad) Behind Folau, Hunt and Beale, probably Hodge too for the 15 spot.
14 Speight (Wallaby) Surpassed by Hodge and Koroibete and probably Naivalu when fit - will drop out of the Wallabies squad.
13 Kuridrani (Wallaby) Competing with Kerevi and possibly Hodge at 13 - likely to drop to the Wallaby bench.
12 Godwin (Wallaby) Way down the pecking list for the 12 spot behind Beale, Hunt, Meakes and Hodge.
11 Dargaville (Hack)
10 Lealiifano (Wallaby) Impossible task to dislodge Foley from No 10. QC (Quade Cooper) probably second in line.
9 Powell (Wallaby) Can't get 5 minutes ffrom Cheika. Will disappear next year when overtaken by Ruru, Lowrens and Gordon.
8 Naisarani (Wallaby in waiting) Not until EOYT next year I believe and probably won't dislodge Dempsey by then.
7 Pocock (Wallaby) Has to play second fiddle and out of position to get a guernsey.
6 Cusack (Olympian)
5 Arnold (Wallaby) Out of favour and probably now behind Coleman, Rodda, Simmons and Tui.
4 Carter (Wallaby) Won't be sighted again in gold.
3 Ala'alatoa (Wallaby) Expect him to be overtaken by Tupou and Vui.
2 Mann-Rea (Wallaby) Not now in the race.
1 Sio (Wallaby) Bench spot at best after Slipper returns.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
They might not be making the Wallabies, but I'm still damn happy with our starting 15 and our depth next year. I expect Sio, Pocock, and Kuridrani to be Wallabies starters, and Ala'alatoa, Arnold, and Lealiifano on the bench.

BR, you're being real harsh on Sio, Ala'alatoa, Lilo, and Kuridrani there. And while Carter and Arnold are out of the picture at the moment, I wouldn't rule them out; bloody Tetera Faulkner made his way back to the side.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Current sportsbet 2018 Super rugby winners.

Brumbies $10
Tahs $21
Reds $51
Rebels $201

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Again a nice try but no. Its straight off last yeas results. Odds will change.

Brumbies $10 - middle of the street solid but not fancy so safe bet so wont shorten much

Tahs $21 - ah, always one step from dysfunctional but basically being the Wallabies you use them as the marker. Always over backed so they will shorten to favourites

Reds $51 - big move here. False hope restored, coach that looks like he is not being a prick to the players and has a clue. Maybe the carpark has finally spat out a real coach. With Quade pissed and if they can master one skill only - tackling they will end up as a short roughy.

Rebels $201 - Within minutes of the ARU announcing the business in confidence Rebels special salary cap betting will suspended as they go to odds on. Its like a cashed up Force with the ability to attract players (being players have no other choice that is). So will the RebelForce who finished 2nd last year he helped of hindered by the Rebel recruits? The cattle demands they are on par with the Brumbies as a starter.

It means nothing now and nothing until round 1 except the Tahs are favourites as usual.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

15 Banks (Wallaby training squad)
14 Speight (Wallaby)
13 Kuridrani (Wallaby)
12 Godwin (Wallaby)
11 Dargaville (Hack)
10 Lealiifano (Wallaby)
9 Powell (Wallaby)
8 Naisarani (Wallaby in waiting)
7 Pocock (Wallaby)
6 Cusack (Olympian)
5 Arnold (Wallaby)
4 Carter (Wallaby)
3 Ala'alatoa (Wallaby)
2 Mann-Rea (Wallaby)
1 Sio (Wallaby)

Lol. Its more of an exclusive club not to have been to one of Cheika's Wallabies shindigs. Every player is a Wallaby in waiting.

So, that 4 in the Wallibies squad atm, and 1 or 2 starters?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They might not be making the Wallabies, but I'm still damn happy with our starting 15 and our depth next year. I expect Sio, Pocock, and Kuridrani to be Wallabies starters, and Ala'alatoa, Arnold, and Lealiifano on the bench.

BR, you're being real harsh on Sio, Ala'alatoa, Lilo, and Kuridrani there. And while Carter and Arnold are out of the picture at the moment, I wouldn't rule them out; bloody Tetera Faulkner made his way back to the side.

Roffy, I'm sorry if you've taken my comments as being my serious views on the Brumbies next year. I am merely pointing out how each of the players, and then the team as a whole, appears to be rated by our national coach. Just how does the pre-eminent team in the Aus conference this year start the test season with one of the lowest representations out of the five (as there were then) franchises, and then for that number to be dwindled down to a measly two starters and two on the bench by the end of the campaign? I can only surmise that Cheika sees next year for the Brumbies being so dire that perhaps only Poey will get a starting guernsey while he obviously has such confidence in the re-emergence of the Tahs that they now fill two thirds of the starting national team. Quite clearly, the Tahs, who will be essentially the national team next year, will dominate the Super Rugby competition as you'd expect if they are truly the Wallabies in disguise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Again a nice try but no. Its straight off last yeas results. Odds will change.

It means nothing now and nothing until round 1 except the Tahs are favourites as usual.

Of course the odds will change. The bookies are working off the best available information which is the 2017 season just as the punters are.

It's a pretty reasonable position to take right now that the Brumbies are favourites for the Aussie conference next year. They won the Australian conference fairly comfortably in 2017 and are adding Pocock and Naisarani to their backrow and Leali'ifano to their midfield.

Their biggest loss is Cubelli who almost didn't play in 2017.

T

TOCC

Is Cubelli a loss though, I thought a few have been arguing Powell should be on the wallabies bench ahead of Phipp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Cubelli a loss though, I thought a few have been arguing Powell should be on the wallabies bench ahead of Phipp

He certainly isn't a loss on the basis of it weakening their 2018 team relative to 2017.

Cubelli is surely a stronger option than whoever ends up as their bench halfback in 2018 unless they get Louwrens or Ruru from the Force.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Roffy, I'm sorry if you've taken my comments as being my serious views on the Brumbies next year.

Mea culpa, BR; I think part of it is that Cheika does underrate some Brumbies (did he ever understand just how important Fardy was?), and in other cases he just has favourites (Douglas, Mumm, Horne, Hanigan), but in general he seems to have the right idea about how good our players are. Far bigger issue is what he wants the players and the team to do, and in that sense he's often times asking the wrong thing from players who are otherwise great in their position.

He is a loss, he's a class above what we have now. But I'm excited to see Powell develop, and both Lucas and Lonegran are good backups.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The bookies might set their odds on the previous outcome, but posters use a much more scientific approach to their favourites. I look at the current Wallabies makeup and conclude the Tahs are almost certain to win the Super Rugby competition in 2018.

I do recall, though, that after 2016 where the Brumbies also finished first in Aus, most posters had them coming in near the bottom of the table in 2017 in their prognostications.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The bookies might set their odds on the previous outcome, but posters use a much more scientific approach to their favourites. I look at the current Wallabies makeup and conclude the Tahs are almost certain to win the Super Rugby competition in 2018.

I do recall, though, that after 2016 where the Brumbies also finished first in Aus, most posters had them coming in near the bottom of the table in 2017 in their prognostications.

Umm... I'd suggest that the bookies have a far more scientific approach to setting their odds than posters on the forum.

The bookies had the Brumbies as favourites to win the Aussie conference last year and were correct in that estimation.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BH I hope you recognised my attempt at sarcasm in describing my scientific approach to forecasting for 2018.

In truth, I believe the Brumbies will again be well in the running for the Aus conference, but I am mindful that quite a few ex-Force players are yet to announce their intentions for next year. The point of contention I am trying to make is that no matter how successful or otherwise the Brumbies are, it is likely that they will continue to be much under-represented in the Wallabies given that there are 10 or more Waratahs who are inked in to the most likely match day 23. Add in the other front runners from the Rebels/Reds/Force like Koroibete, McMahon (if available), Genia, Hodge/Rodda, Kerevi, Hunt/Coleman, DHP, and there is little capacity left for the Brumbies despite them being the standout Aus franchise over the past 4 - 5 years.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
BH I hope you recognised my attempt at sarcasm in describing my scientific approach to forecasting for 2018.

In truth, I believe the Brumbies will again be well in the running for the Aus conference, but I am mindful that quite a few ex-Force players are yet to announce their intentions for next year. The point of contention I am trying to make is that no matter how successful or otherwise the Brumbies are, it is likely that they will continue to be much under-represented in the Wallabies given that there are 10 or more Waratahs who are inked in to the most likely match day 23. Add in the other front runners from the Rebels/Reds/Force like Koroibete, McMahon (if available), Genia, Hodge/Rodda, Kerevi, Hunt/Coleman, DHP, and there is little capacity left for the Brumbies despite them being the standout Aus franchise over the past 4 - 5 years.

Have to call BS on this one mate......... I count 7 Tahs likely to play test footy next year with Brumbies at 6 in the 23 with Reds and Rebs making up the difference 14 Speight (Wallaby) Currently in 23 13 Kuridrani (Wallaby) Currently in 23 10 Lealiifano (Wallaby) Probable backup 10 if returns to form. 9 Powell (Wallaby) back up for 23 8 Naisarani (Wallaby in waiting.......... 7 Pocock (Wallaby) Will be when he returns next year. 5 Arnold (Wallaby) Was recently in 23 3 Ala'alatoa (Wallaby) Currently in 23 1 Sio (Wallaby) Currently in 23 Waratahs would expect to have Folau, Beale, Foley, Dempsey, Hooper, Kepu plus Phipps on the bench. Max 7 With return of Pocock, Slipper plus emergence of Uulese, Rodda and Tui and shortly eligibility of Taniela Tupau and Naisaranie I expect think the following tahs may get a gig periodically but only in the event of injury crisis. Latu, Hanigan, Simmons and

Status
Not open for further replies.