• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Look at our squad depth and I think that tells you where we need signings:

In order of first team, reserves, and development

LHP: Sio, Mayhew, N/A
HK: Mann-Rea, Abel, Fainga'a
THP: Ala'alatoa, Alexander, Makin
LK: Carter, Enever, N/A
LK: Arnold, Swain, N/A
BSF: Valetine, McCaffrey, N/A
OSF: Pocock, Cusack, N/A
N8: Naisarani, Hyne, Falaosilea
SH: Powell, Lucas, Lonergan
FH: Lealiifano, Hawera, N/A
WG: Taliauli, Dargaville, N/A
IC: Godwin, Jackson-Hope, Lolesio
OC: Kuridrani, Smith, N/A
WG: Speight, Muirhead, N/A
FB: Banks, Hensen, N/A

We should probably re-sign Sione, get some OC/Wing cover, and bring in a lock and a flyhalf on EPS.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Faalelei Sione is signed IIRC.

I can't see why we would bring in a lock if we released Staniforth and signed Swain?

We dont need another 9. Lucus pushed out Phipps when he was in form so between him and Powell its covered. Lonergan is pretty good cover beyond that if needed.

Lilo will play 12.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed Lilo will likely play 12, was just listing to reinforce that we have some depth at 10. Did we release Staniforth? I was under the impression that he chose the Waratahs offer over the Brumbies. I want more lock cover for the same reason we need more options at 10 and 13; it's only two injuries away from having a position where someone is playing 80 minutes, and the reserve doesn't play the position.

According to this, Sione is not signed for 2018: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/09/19/western-force-state-of-play

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Agreed Lilo will likely play 12, was just listing to reinforce that we have some depth at 10. Did we release Staniforth? I was under the impression that he chose the Waratahs offer over the Brumbies. I want more lock cover for the same reason we need more options at 10 and 13; it's only two injuries away from having a position where someone is playing 80 minutes, and the reserve doesn't play the position.

According to this, Sione is not signed for 2018: https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/09/19/western-force-state-of-play

There are a few questions with that list. First one is around Banks. I still haven't seen anything definitive that he has signed for the Brumbies in 2018 yet. Some say he signed a one yer deal when he joined, other say 2. I have seen the question put to the Brumbies directly on several occasion on several social media platforms and are yet to see an answer.

The only definitive thing that the Brumbies keep saying is the roster is full except for 2 backs spots. So if Sione ain't signed we are appear to be a prop short going in to 2018, Big gamble by the Brumbies considering his for form the CBR VIkings has been pretty good and would be a good option for other teams.

Staniforth did make a choice but it was because he wasn't going to get game time as he is surplus to requirements. It was a good move for him as retaining him was wasting his talent.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There are a few questions with that list. First one is around Banks. I still haven't seen anything definitive that he has signed for the Brumbies in 2018 yet. Some say he signed a one yer deal when he joined, other say 2. I have seen the question put to the Brumbies directly on several occasion on several social media platforms and are yet to see an answer.

Brett McKay, who also works for the ARU's media unit, apparently confirmed with the Brumbies that Banks was signed on for next year........

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Brett McKay, who also works for the ARU's media unit, apparently confirmed with the Brumbies that Banks was signed on for next year....

Yeah, I saw that but nothing official to confirm or any details (duration etc).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A post on the Reds 2018 thread suggests that Shambeckler Vui might be signing with the Brumbies. Is there a connection between this possibility and Makin's absence from the NRC game tomorrow?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if its a case of trying to find homes for Force contracted players, He was signed with the Force until 2019. I believe if the Brumbies were signing a prop it would be LLoyd.

Haven't heard anything about Makin.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
While acknowledging how good Vui looks like he'll be, I would also be very content with Lloyd, Makin and Sione as the back up props to Sio, Ala'alatoa and Alexander. I presume Mayhew is still around too.

The Tahs probably need props more than any other franchise, but I wouldn't be unhappy if Vui found a home elsewhere. The apparent lack of any strategy or plan to absorb the ex-Force players into the remaining franchises is really bewildering.

As far as I know, there hasn't yet been any announcement from the ARU regarding the affect on existing salary caps or how in future years the salary costs will be dealt with. Until these matters are sorted, I can imagine the franchises are loathe to commit to the excess players who maybe can't be absorbed within the existing cap.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Congratulations to Blake Evener - off on the Wallaby tour!

The question I would love answered is if he knew pre- CBR Vikings game or is he on the field (as i right this comments) without a clue?

I am also shocked and devastated that they have omitted Godwin - NOT!

Banks apparently got overlooked (according to Beth Newman from Rugby.com.au on twitter) as getting NRC Finals experience was considered valuable (I believe that means he is better off playing for the CBR Vikings in the finals than carrying the bags).

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Said this in another thread, but I expect Enever is there ahead of Carter because of his ability to play at 6, whereas Carter is only really an option at lock. I'd still expect Carter and Arnold ahead of Enever next year, though this could be an in for Enever to take Arnold's place.........
The question I would love answered is if he knew pre- CBR Vikings game or is he on the field (as i right this comments) without a clue?
Enever knew before the NRC game:
"Cheika said Enever was surprised at the call-up, notified just hours before canberra's NRC game against the Greater Sydney Rams this afternoon.
(source: http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2017/10/29/wallabies-spring-tour-squad-announcement)

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
And in the black, even if its only just. Positive signs and i hope it continues.

T

TOCC

Yes it’s positive, the turnaround isn’t exactly remarkable though, it’s on the back of a an extra couple of million in grants each year that the Super Rugby teams are receiving.

I’d like to see what the growth in revenue aside from ARU grants was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes it’s positive, the turnaround isn’t exactly remarkable though, it’s on the back of a an extra couple of million in grants each year that the Super Rugby teams are receiving.

I’d like to see what the growth in revenue aside from ARU grants was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aside from the $2+mil from the ACT Government, ditching the CBR Vikings licence and getting rid of most of the game day experience stuff like flames / fireworks and general entertainment. Also charging the same membership amount last year for one game less.

Brumbies and ARU versions of "growing revenue"! We are even copying the ARU model of adding more and more coaching staff while your cost cutting.

Still, it stopped the bleeding so that is something and close enough to a positive considering its the Brumbies board.

Oh, did I mention we also have a major sponsor! We don't own anything apart from our IP, Brumby Jack and a solitary brick stopping the marketing trailer from rolling away but again, we have a major sponsor.

Status
Not open for further replies.