• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Good find. But, can the Ref boot them from the field? Perhaps he declared it a safety issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Law 6.c.2
Last sentence "Such persons must not obstruct, interfere or make comments to the match officials."
The player wasn't in danger, it wasn't a spinal/head injury its not juniors; the referee stopped time when there was a stoppage in play. Teams are concerned when they are a numerical disadvantage.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Law 6.c.2
Last sentence "Such persons must not obstruct, interfere or make comments to the match officials."
The player wasn't in danger, it wasn't a spinal/head injury its not juniors; the referee stopped time when there was a stoppage in play. Teams are concerned when they are a numerical disadvantage.

The part of Law 6.c.2 that you refer to above is about medical and non-medical persons entering the field and when. The "such persons" part is in reference to the other non-playing members of the team, not medical persons.

6.C.2 Those who may enter the playing area In the case of injury, only the match doctor and/or the non-playing members of the team who are medically trained (only qualified Doctors or Physiotherapists) may enter the playing area while play continues.

The other non-playing members of the team may enter the playing area while play continues, provided they have permission from the referee. Otherwise, they enter only when the ball is dead. Such persons must not obstruct, interfere or make any comments to the match officials.

What is key is the below law. In the Top 5 we decided to not include the reference to this law as we though it may provoke more aggressive commentary. The reality is he failed to adhere to the Laws and the ARU safety directives. If you read these documents (at http://www.aru.com.au/Portals/18/Files/Refereeing/level3papers/Nick_Long_MP.pdf) you can see how the slope becomes slippery very fast and that there are obligations on referees in relation to duty of care and the like. Letting games go on won’t serve well as a defence legally I would presume.

6.A.8 The referee’s whistle

(f) The referee must blow the whistle when it would be dangerous to let play continue or when it is probable that a player has been seriously injured.

With the above obligation explicitly in the rules I would strongly encourage every referee to blow the whistle rather than be questioned about how he formed a view, noting he is not a medical expert and doing so on the run at a distance, that it was not probable that the player was not seriously injured after a cry of pain was heard across the field from the player and he lay motionless for a period.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Which laws and safety directives?

The document you cite is someone's assignment from when they sat the level 3 refereeing course.
Correct. That why I clearly stated it was for example to read and get some idea about the implications. And yes it's an ARU published document.

As for safety related documents, ARU and or any of the unions. Google and you shall find.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I believe Damon's handling of the actual injury was fine his reaction to the trainer was over the top and he needs to look at that. For the record the match management guidelines for the NRC specifically mention that the referee can have anyone removed from the playing enclosure, although his personal interactions were at a level with the ones he received we have a higher expectation on the way referees deal with it.

T

TOCC

Brumbies have signed schoolboy Noah Lolesio for 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
He can play either centre position, but is more of an inside centre. He'll still have two years left on his contract when Godwin's current deal is up.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Interesting choice when the Chiefs are chasing Canberra local Will Goddard...

I thought you knew by now that with the abundance of "Aussie" flyhalf's we have in Super Rugby and the depth in that position let alone the abundance of talent coming through why would we sign a flyhalf that Kiwi rugby would want?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
To be fair, the Chiefs are desperate having lost Cruden and Donald, and they missed on their chance to sign West or Black. They've signed Falcon from Hawke's Bay, but there isn't much to go for in the NPC at the moment; besides Falcon, the only flyhalf under 28 in the NPC worth looking at is Eade (Southland).

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
To be fair, the Chiefs are desperate having lost Cruden and Donald, and they missed on their chance to sign West or Black. They've signed Falcon from Hawke's Bay, but there isn't much to go for in the NPC at the moment; besides Falcon, the only flyhalf under 28 in the NPC worth looking at is Eade (Southland).

Are we talking about the same Donald that is currently unemployed and considering offers after his contract ended at the Chiefs, was unwanted by Waikato and playing at Counties? And West, the fly-half nobody really wants in Super Rugby? Black signed with the Blues well after Cruden was known to be going and even before we re-signed Hawera; who I am sure would have been tempted back home given the opportunity. They could even have a go at calling Garden -Bachop back since the cutting of the Force (he is playing back in the Mitre10 atm).. The Rebels released Lomax early and may do the same if asked. Chiefs have had options and opportunity.

You also need to remember that with the assistance of people inside the Brumbies organisation it was Goddard's camp that was approaching teams including the Chiefs not the other way around because of the lack of local opportunity.

It appears to be becoming a trend looking for options in NZ. I see Ah-Wong had a cracker of a game @13 for Counties last night. Michael Ala'alatoa again got plenty of praise from the commentators in the losing Turbos in the same game.

Also, I cant not say there is irony in your reference to Eade in that the only reason the Stags have him starting is they chose not to enforce the second year of the contract they have with Hawera.

FWIW, IMHO its just sad that players like Goddard have to look for options elsewhere as organisations like the Brumbies just don' t have the resources, programs or finances.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
[quote="mst, post: 975068, member: 16802"*snip* They could even have a go at calling Garden -Bachop back since the cutting of the Force (he is playing back in the Mitre10 atm).. The Rebels released Lomax early and may do the same if asked. Chiefs have had options and opportunity.

*snip*[/quote]

Apparently the Rebels have already released JG-B.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
[quote="mst, post: 975068, member: 16802"*snip* They could even have a go at calling Garden -Bachop back since the cutting of the Force (he is playing back in the Mitre10 atm).. The Rebels released Lomax early and may do the same if asked. Chiefs have had options and opportunity.

*snip*

Apparently the Rebels have already released JG-B.[/quote]

Thanks. I thought i had seen it mentioned but was unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.