• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This is the icing on the ludicrous ARU/RA approach: here’s your salary, no need to play to earn it; sure earn some big dollars in Japan and come back when you’re ready. Don’t worry we’ve got this participation levy to make the ordinary amateurs fund this clusterfuck.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
G&GR should start handing out a free stubby holder for every 100th poster that displays a misunderstanding of Pocock's contract..........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pocock is set to miss up to three months after surgery on an ongoing knee issue, that he said had plagued him for years.

The procedure means Pocock may not return to the Brumbies side until round nine of this Super Rugby season, but a more optimistic prognosis could see him back four rounds into the season.

Pocock played through the issue during the recent 2017-18 Top League season, in which Panasonic finished second, and the 29-year-old said he could have played with the issue on his return, but the ACT franchise was keen to take the safe route rather than risk a longer-term injury.

“It's a problem I've been managing for a while and could've kept managing it and playing but talking to the Brumbies and (surgeon) Peter Myers, we all decided it was probably the best decision to get it sorted now and be right to go for the rest of the year rather than potentially have something happen halfway through the season,” he said

“I've been managing it for ages now. It's something that's been brewing for the last few years I guess.

“It's been manageable but the Brumbies were really keen for me to get it sorted out rather than manage it through the season, which is fair enough.”

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/01/21/pocock-brumbies-injury-update

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I suppose one question would be "Why not get it sorted while he was not playing for an extended period, given it has been an issue for years?". I'm guessing advice he had previously was that he could continue to play with it? I know hindsight is wonderful, but if he planned to keep playing for a number of years it seems like an opportune hiatus was a good time to fix it properly. I'm sure he'll be back bigger and better though. At least, from a Brumbies' perspective, they seem to have pretty good cover.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
$1.2 million this season for someone injured when playing in Japan.
I'm assuming that he's made it worse in Japan, and didn't delay it to maximise his cash intake.
I understand his contract perfectly and it's stupid for this exact reason. WTF is the point of taking a year off to extend your playing career when you play 2 seasons in Japan and then need surgery?

People cam say hindsight. There were a lot of us saying this a year ago.

PS: I'd be fine with the contract if he played no rugby, even if he sustained an injury whilst hugging a rhino

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
$1.2 million this season for someone injured when playing in Japan.
I'm assuming that he's made it worse in Japan, and didn't delay it to maximise his cash intake.
I understand his contract perfectly and it's stupid for this exact reason. WTF is the point of taking a year off to extend your playing career when you play 2 seasons in Japan and then need surgery?

People cam say hindsight. There were a lot of us saying this a year ago.

PS: I'd be fine with the contract if he played no rugby, even if he sustained an injury whilst hugging a rhino

The article doesn't say he made it worse in Japan, it says it has been an issue for some years. I'm guessing it was an educated gamble that he might have been fine, but it turns out he wasn't. The only thing I'd be interested in is whether the option of surgery while he was "off" was considered. But really, it's between him and his surgeon.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
The injury predates his time in Japan....

If anything he should've had the surgery in his down time before he played in Japan.
So why didn't he?
I assume it got worse in Japan?
Surely he wouldnt wait till he banked the Japanese cheque before getting it done? Having helped giraffes give birth between the last 2 Japanese seasons?
I'm seeing nothing but corroboration that it was a dumb contract.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
The article doesn't say he made it worse in Japan, it says it has been an issue for some years. I'm guessing it was an educated gamble that he might have been fine, but it turns out he wasn't. The only thing I'd be interested in is whether the option of surgery while he was "off" was considered. But really, it's between him and his surgeon.

I get what you're saying. But still. You've got a year to rest, relax and generally take ot easy to extend your career and somehow it ends up in this situation.
Sabbatical should be rest not a big cash grab. 2 Japanese seasons is arguably not much less than a super & international season.
Anyhow. I'll leave it at that.

T

TOCC

like i keep saying.... these sabbaticals or 'flex-contracts' are fools gold.. they should be targetted at the lower range players not the Folau's, Foleys and Pococks of the game.

T

TOCC

The injury predates his time in Japan....

If anything he should've had the surgery in his down time before he played in Japan.

Isn’t the suggestion that he wasn’t paid for the year off? So why would he get surgery and 3 months rehabilitation if he isn’t getting paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.