• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
This is what I've tried to track.

Not sure about Nick Jooste?

Hookers:
Josh Mann-Rea
Robbie Abel
Folau Fainga'a

Props:
Scott Sio
Allan Ala'alatoa
Les Makin
Nic Mayhew
Ben Alexander
Locks:
Richie Arnold
Blake Enever
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter

Backrowers:
Tom Cusack
Ben Hyne
Robert Valetini
Lachlan McCaffrey
David Pocock
Lolo Fakaosilea
Isa Naisarani

Scrumhalves:
Matt Lucsas
Joe Powell

Flyhalves:
Wharenui Hawera
Nick Jooste

Centres:
Christian Lealiifano
Jordon Jackson-Hope
Kyle Godwin
Andrew Smith
James Dargaville
Tevita Kurindrani

Outside backs:
Lausii Tailiauli
James Verity-Amm
Henry Speight
Chance Peni
Andy Muirhead

Reg, there is 39 (according to Dutton - https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...alise-super-rugby-roster-20171121-gzptwk.html ) in the squad including EPS I believe. I can only account for 38. Jooste was released. Your list is at 33.

Missing:
Swain
Lonergan
Sione
Mees Erasmus
Mack Hansen

Hookers:
Josh Mann-Rea
Robbie Abel
Folau Fainga'a

Props:
Scott Sio
Allan Ala'alatoa
Les Makin
Nic Mayhew
Ben Alexander

Locks:
Richie Arnold
Blake Enever
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter

Backrowers:
Tom Cusack
Ben Hyne
Robert Valetini
Lachlan McCaffrey
David Pocock
Lolo Fakaosilea
Isa Naisarani

Scrumhalves:
Matt Lucas
Joe Powell

Flyhalves:
Wharenui Hawera

Centres:
Christian Lealiifano
Jordon Jackson-Hope
Kyle Godwin
Andrew Smith
James Dargaville
Tevita Kurindrani

Outside backs:
Lausii Tailiauli
James Verity-Amm
Henry Speight
Chance Peni
Andy Muirhead

BRUMBIES ACADEMY INTAKE
NAME / POSITION / CLUB/HISTORY
Angus Allen / Backrow / Wests
Will Goddard / Flyhalf / ACT Schools
Byron Hollingworth-Dessent / Wing / NSW CAS
Len Ikitau / Centre / Tuggeranong
Harry Lloyd / Prop / Wests
Noah Lolesio / Centre / Australia Schools
Langi Lolotonga / Backrow / Easts
Lachlan Lonergan / Hooker / Tuggeranong
Liam Rasch / Lock/Backrow / Wests
Tom Ross / Prop / Gungahlin
Seamus Smith / Scrumhalf / ACT Schools

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
To be fair, I can't find anywhere that confirms that Banks is signed for next year. But the fact that he hasn't been announced playing anywhere else suggests he'll still be there

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Would really like to see one of Louwrens or Ruru in there to bolster the No 9 spot. Understand Lonegan is there but will be a year or two off Super Rugby standard imo.
The No 10 spot is also very light on and vulnerable if either Hawera or Lealiifano go down with injury.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I must admit i thought they would have picked Louwrens or Ruru before another outside back (Peni) to give Lonergan more time even if it was for one season. In saying that i am not disappointing with Peni's signing.

Lonergan's decision making is what lets him down but that is an experience thing. He's still a pretty good back up if needed.

Our 10 options are limited and i think with the 12's we have (some good ones at that) they are counting both Hawera and Lilo as the 10's . I know JJH is ok at 10 and think they should develop him there. We also have Mack Hansen but that's big step up.

We also have Will Goddard in the Academy (yes, he chose not to go to NZ).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
MST, I'm interested in your comment that the Brumbies have some good 12s. Assuming Christian is seen as a 10, who are the 12s and which ones would you rate as good? The best available in my eyes are Dargaville and Smith, neither of whom are natural 12s but are being remodeled from other spots.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is what I've tried to track.

Not sure about Nick Jooste?

Hookers:
Josh Mann-Rea
Robbie Abel
Folau Fainga'a

Props:
Scott Sio
Allan Ala'alatoa
Les Makin
Nic Mayhew
Ben Alexander
Locks:
Richie Arnold
Blake Enever
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter

Backrowers:
Tom Cusack
Ben Hyne
Robert Valetini
Lachlan McCaffrey
David Pocock
Lolo Fakaosilea
Isa Naisarani

Scrumhalves:
Matt Lucsas
Joe Powell

Flyhalves:
Wharenui Hawera
Nick Jooste

Centres:
Christian Lealiifano
Jordon Jackson-Hope
Kyle Godwin
Andrew Smith
James Dargaville
Tevita Kurindrani

Outside backs:
Lausii Tailiauli
James Verity-Amm
Henry Speight
Chance Peni
Andy Muirhead
Nick jooste was cut - announced some time ago. No super rugby club for him...maybe aim for iprc spot in 2019. Just did not really live up to his early hype..but still young...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
MST, I'm interested in your comment that the Brumbies have some good 12s. Assuming Christian is seen as a 10, who are the 12s and which ones would you rate as good? The best available in my eyes are Dargaville and Smith, neither of whom are natural 12s but are being remodeled from other spots.

Agreed BR; if Lilo and Hawera are excluded from the 12 conversation, then it's not like we lack options there (Godwin, Smith, Jackson-Hope, Dargaville, even Peni or Hansen in an emergency), but we're certainly lacking quality in depth. Lots of solid options, or players with potential, but not much star power in the present.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I think potentially there is star power at 12 but there's been little opportunity to see it. For me the biggest indication its there was after Godwin got injured. Smith came in and showed us what he was about. This was done in an over structured backline and without time to gel. Dargavillie has shown glimpses like Smith but the last NRC season he has really shown his talent at 12.

I think JJH used at the right time could be a decent option if we were looking for a true second play-maker. Peni and Muirhead both could be good options. That would be more of a case who fitted in the best and gelled with the existing combinations.

But the one i would like to see be given a run at 12 is Lausi. Big, good ball runner, has speed and is dynamic, and coming from a 7's background has creativity and can kick. He has all the right attributes so could be interesting to find out.

i would also have Hawera at 10 for these selections as he seems a bit better with broken play, goes to the line, will take contact and his offloads are really good. Lilo has better game management and far better kicking in play. Its a coin toss really as to which one you would start.

I think we also really need to ask the question about 13. Tevita is solid but fairly vanilla. That has worked for us but if we are changing things up do we to consider potential options at 13? Who would step in if he is injured or out of form?

I am thinking things could get mixed up a little:
"ACT Brumbies back coach Peter Hewat has promised to bring "razzle dazzle" rugby back to Canberra with the assistant determined to create the best attacking team in Super Rugby."

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...tack-best-in-super-rugby-20171125-gzsrbp.html

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
But the one i would like to see be given a run at 12 is Lausi. Big, good ball runner, has speed and is dynamic, and coming from a 7's background has creativity and can kick. He has all the right attributes so could be interesting to find out.

That's a really interesting call MST. I know McKellar really rates both Taliauli and Muirhead, and its clear that Lilo, Banks, Kuridrani, and Speight will also be in the backline, so the only way to fit them both will be one on the wing and one at 12.

It really is looking like the end for Godwin. Even with his strong tackling and defensive positioning, Smith and Dargaville are matches for him there, and I think every other possible 12 is a better attacking option than Godwin. Still, we won the conference last year because of our defence, who knows what McKellar is thinking.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Squad for next year announced on the Brumbies' website today, and is :

The Plus500 Brumbies will welcome nine new faces into the squad for the 2018 Super Rugby season, including the returning David Pocock, as Head Coach Dan McKellar prepares for his first season in charge of the two-time Champions.

Australian international Pocock, who has 65 caps for Australia, will be back in Brumbies colours following his year’s sabbatical and is part of a formidable looking pack that includes eight Wallaby internationals.

Pocock could potentially be joined by fellow Wallabies Scott Sio, Allan Ala'alatoa, Ben Alexander, Josh Mann-Rea, Rory Arnold, Sam Carter and Blake Enever with the strength in depth throughout the forwards evident.

Three of the new signings are up front with the former-Force trio of Mees Erasmus (prop), Richie Arnold (lock), and Isi Naisarani (No.8) joined by Lachlan McCaffrey (flanker) who returns to the Brumbies after a three-year absence playing in Europe.

Rookie hooker Folau Fainga’a joins fresh off an inclusion in the Wallabies train-on squad during the Rugby Championship following impressive form with Canberra Vikings in the National Rugby Championship.

Amongst the backs, the Brumbies faithful will no doubt be delighted to see Christian Lealiifano return to full fitness and with some much-needed playing time under his belt in the Pro14 for Ulster Rugby. The pivot, who is two-points shy of 800 in his career for the ACT-based club, could have a huge impact.

New faces in the back-line include scrumhalf Matt Lucas, an off-season capture from the Waratahs who will push Wallaby youngster Joe Powell for a starting berth, whilst outside backs Chance Peni and James Verity-Amm join from the Force.

International stars Tevita Kuridrani, Kyle Godwin and Henry Speight are included whilst the continuing emergence of talented speedsters Tom Banks and Andrew Muirhead will be worth keeping an eye on.

There’s a plenty of youth amongst the squad with Tuggeranong Vikings lock Darcy Swain and promising scrumhalf Ryan Lonergan aiming to push their more established teammates for a place in the matchday squad.

In the Coaching Department, former Assistant McKellar takes over from Stephen Larkham as Head Coach. He is joined by Laurie Fisher as Forwards Coach and Peter Hewat as Backs Coach whilst Peter Ryan (Defence) and Dan Palmer (scrum) continue their important roles within the organisation.

The Brumbies pre-season fixtures kick-off on Saturday 3 February with a clash against the Rebels at Seiffert Oval in Queanbeyan.

FORWARDS

Robbie ABEL
Allan Ala'alatoa
Ben ALEXANDER
Richard ARNOLD*
Rory ARNOLD
Sam CARTER
Tom CUSACK
Blake ENEVER
Mees ERASMUS (EPS)*
Folau FAINGA’A (EPS)*
Lolo FAKAOSILEA
Ben HYNE
Leslie LEULUA’IALI’I-MAKIN
Josh MANN-REA
Nic MAYHEW
Lachlan MCCAFFREY*
Isireli NAISARANI*
David POCOCK
Scott SIO
Darcy SWAIN (EPS)
Rob VALETINI

BACKS

Tom BANKS
James DARGAVILLE
Kyle GODWIN
Wharenui HAWERA
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE
Tevita KURIDRANI
Christian LEALIIFANO
Ryan LONERGAN (EPS)
Matt LUCAS*
Andrew MUIRHEAD (EPS)
Chance PENI-ATAERA*
Joe POWELL
Andrew SMITH
Henry SPEIGHT
Lausii TALIAULI
James VERITY-AMM (EPS) *

*new signing

Dan Palmer still there as scrum coach. Probably confirms some earlier comments that he won't be going to the Wallabies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Bit of off field news.

Phil Thomson takes over as Chairman from Rob Kennedy who steps down from chairman but still remains on the board.

Thomson is a former interim CEO at the Brumbies and Kookaburras player and previously at the ARU.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Just cant get some out the door. So then its back to the obligatory chair swaps from one to another who showed he couldn't deliver in the past. Merry-go-round.

"Brumbies match-day revenue dropped from $1.878 million in 2016 to $1.328 million this year". OUCH!

In fairness is there was one less game but that would have been offset somewhat as the membership cost did not get reduce even though here was one less game.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
The loss of revenue is more than just the difference between nine games and eight; in fact, by that measure, it's as if we played three fewer games. I think we all noticed how small the crowds were this year, made even worse by the lack of a Tahs game (which almost always brings in close to 20k).

The board is smart if they realise that part of this drop off is due to the general trend of decline in attendance in Super Rugby, but they also need to know that casual fans and locals looking for entertainment in the evening aren't going to show up to watch a losing team. Bringing us back to winning ways is their best bet of bringing back crowds, regardless of competition-wide trends.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The loss of revenue is more than just the difference between nine games and eight; in fact, by that measure, it's as if we played three fewer games. I think we all noticed how small the crowds were this year, made even worse by the lack of a Tahs game (which almost always brings in close to 20k).

The board is smart if they realise that part of this drop off is due to the general trend of decline in attendance in Super Rugby, but they also need to know that casual fans and locals looking for entertainment in the evening aren't going to show up to watch a losing team. Bringing us back to winning ways is their best bet of bringing back crowds, regardless of competition-wide trends.

And yet the Brumbies were the winningest Aussie team! Getting good crowd support is not just about winning. Its about building up a tribalist culture that says we are going to support "our" team come hell or high water.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brumbies do have that tribal core, the 7k who will show up to a bottom-of-the-table Bulls game at 5:30 on a Friday in the pouring rain, but that group only grows by bringing in new fans and convincing them to stick around.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Winning and tribalism certainly are bedfellows. But the glaring lesson here is the failure to listen to the tribe and fear of change.

I find it interesting that the the changes stopped when Jones was disposed of and its no coincidence that the tribalism waned and dropped back to a core group of desperate but faithful at the same time.

I believe the antics of the board stripped away something important that Hawko mentioned about; that its our team, the supporters team. The the board frigged around with our team and played power and political games for no substantial reason.

What they are yet to grasp was their actions, even if for the right motivations, were wrong and unacceptable. Supporters of all types don't like it when their team is played with by egotists who should not be on boards. That we can see that by low level of support. It common knowledge that after being unable to deliver for years the Jones changes did make a difference, but its now regressed to the control of the old hands again.

Sadly I don't see the sustained growth required returning soon even if we start winning without more significant changes. Those without the faith in the Brumbies organisation can still get there fix via TV and support their team. That is the key factor the Brumbies board are yet to understand. When the supporters are unwilling to subscribe and invest because they prefer the view from outside of the fence it should be a fairly clear message.

But I hope I am wrong.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New jerseys.........

EDITED-1.jpg

A return to the "burnt orange" gold.

1513654440682.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.