• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
professor-would-you-say-its-time-for-our-viewers-to-crack-open-each-others-skulls-and-feast-on-the-g.jpg

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not trying to preach doom and gloom, but, even if we win next week, this will be one of the worst starts to a Super Rugby season for the Brumbies. Only 1999 and 2011 were worse. Even 1998 was better. If we lose, it will our worst start to a season ever.

I've been trying to work out what the attacking plan is under McKellar ......... Statistically, the decision making and distribution of responsibilities this season seems to be attempting to mirror 2013, with the key difference ......... that the forwards are not operating as a collective unit, but are instead spread throughout the backline.
Stats and visuals back this up, but, beyond that, I don't know what McKellar is doing. The one improvement over these games is tackle success, where we've risen steadily from 81% to 90%. We've also bumped up metres per carry from 3m to 3.5m. We have had three games now and there's no plan to this team other than having more forwards in the backline. I don't think all of our backs have mysteriously forgotten how to pass, they're clearly operating under instruction to run more often. Likewise, the space out wide on defence isn't being made by the opposition, but exists because we have three to five players behind the line at any one time. Apart from Kuridrani, ever backline player has kicked the ball away in good attacking positions each game.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I respect and admire a man who knows what he is talking about and the facts and stats (reality) back up his words and actions.

Off the back of the Reds game McKeller made several post match comments about the performance. One was that with possession the Brumbies performances would be different. So much so he was banging on about that all week claiming it was the key. We dominated in every key stat v the Rebels except the scoreboard! McKellar got exactly what he wanted possession wise and all we do is over use the ball and achieve nothing from it.

He is obsessional about the set piece which the Reds targeted and dismantled showing that the Brumbies are over dependent on it. But the reality is set piece is meaningless unless you can use it. The Brumbies simply can't use the set piece. Against the Rebels we won all our scrums, turned over their scrum once and won all bar one of our line outs. Exactly what McKellar wanted. But what did it do for us? Nothing.

Post the Rebels game he stated that Hawera showed he sparked the attack in the trials, sparked the attack off the bench in the previous games. In the Rebels post match presser he again stated that we lacked spark in attack until he used the bench. McKellar keeps telling us week in week out that the spark we are lacking to win appears when he uses the players off the bench. WTF?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not trying to preach doom and gloom, but, even if we win next week, this will be one of the worst starts to a Super Rugby season for the Brumbies. Only 1999 and 2011 were worse. Even 1998 was better. If we lose, it will our worst start to a season ever.

Stats and visuals back this up, but, beyond that, I don't know what McKellar is doing. The one improvement over these games is tackle success, where we've risen steadily from 81% to 90%. We've also bumped up metres per carry from 3m to 3.5m. We have had three games now and there's no plan to this team other than having more forwards in the backline. I don't think all of our backs have mysteriously forgotten how to pass, they're clearly operating under instruction to run more often. Likewise, the space out wide on defence isn't being made by the opposition, but exists because we have three to five players behind the line at any one time. Apart from Kuridrani, ever backline player has kicked the ball away in good attacking positions each game.

Your not the only one that is picking up on the tends:

Quite amazed how static the ponies backs are, sweet f*ck all movement off the ball. No lines run, no second lines, no dummy lines, no movement at all.

They appear to have continued to only practiced passing to the winger with the idea of going around sides - which was worked on few occasions over the last couple of years.

The only time that say the blindside winger runs a line around Lilo is when he is going to crash ball.

Agree on Godwin, I will paraphrase a description I have heard elsewhere. He is a full stop in a backline
Did Larkham know something about the Brums future?
Personnel not all that different, if anything you might think they’re better.
Kuridrani continues to underplay in super.
Lilo not on song.
Godwin was a false dawn all those moons ago, his hand are poor.
Not sure Pocock will be enough but he might at least overcome the anonymity of their back row.
Dark days I fear.

T

TOCC

Godwin may have poor hands, but he is quite impressive in contact, always makes meters and beats the first man. There is a place for him in the team, I just don't think he is been used correctly at the moment.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Godwin may have poor hands, but he is quite impressive in contact, always makes meters and beats the first man. There is a place for him in the team, I just don't think he is been used correctly at the moment.

Disagree.

Although he has the second most tackle busts so far is season (just ahead of Naisarani) if you drill down in to the rest of his stats then look how he is used / plays it reveals both statistically and reality he would be more suited @13. But his running is less effective them the current incumbent poor performing 13. Right now is taking out his own 13 by the way he plays.

Overall 2 line breaks in 3 games is nothing special. Add to that he has had the most possession (behind the 9 &10), runs 50% of the time but his run meters are unimpressive and does not offload. What the stats are indicating is they use him a lot but it yields very little and limits the attacking options.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
mst ^^^^ i thought the post match presser was interesting ! McKellar gave me the impression that but for a couple of lucky breaks to the Rebels and some poor officiating the Brums would have won. he seemed to think that they outplayed the Rebels everywhere. At the game the Brumbies looked bereft of ideas as what to do with all their possession.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's ridiculous. With the exception of blindside flanker (no shame in being worse than Fardy), none of our first choice players are worse than their 2017 counterparts.

Post the Rebels game he stated that Hawera showed he sparked the attack in the trials, sparked the attack off the bench in the previous games. In the Rebels post match presser he again stated that we lacked spark in attack until he used the bench. McKellar keeps telling us week in week out that the spark we are lacking to win appears when he uses the players off the bench. WTF?
I think Lilo clearly has the higher ceiling as a 10; his ability to deceive the defensive line and to get the ball away under pressure is great and exactly what is required from a top notch flyhalf. But Lilo is so off his game that it's upsetting, and he keeps failing at the funamentals.

Hawera has his problems. Hell, sometimes you can see exactly what he's going to do before he even gets the ball, but he's throwing his passes, making his tackles, and not losing the ball. So, while I advocate for Lilo as the 10 in the long run, Hawera should be starting now.

Godwin has been better than he was last year, but, if McKellar wants a 12 who can play crashball and be competent at everything else, he should be picking Dargaville or Smith there.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
mst ^^^^ i thought the post match presser was interesting ! McKellar gave me the impression that but for a couple of lucky breaks to the Rebels and some poor officiating the Brums would have won. he seemed to think that they outplayed the Rebels everywhere. At the game the Brumbies looked bereft of ideas as what to do with all their possession.

Glad I am not the only one thinking what he is saying seems at odds with whats going on. I genuinely don't think he knows what to do.

One thing I trying to find is where the other coaches are at the games. I know Rhino is usually on the sideline / running water but I have only seen Lord Laurie in the box with McKellar. No signs of the other two particularly the backline coach.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Where would you put him?
Those hands are not good. Sad.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^ There is a reason for that but won't go into it

Ah. I was thinking that one may be to due to other commitments (*legitimate) but if its not something for public consumption it suggests its not good.

I would hazard a guess its either "personalities" again or its a cost thing - tis a big coaching entourage.

T

TOCC

Where would you put him?
Those hands are not good. Sad.

Im not sure if he fits with how the Brumbies are currently trying to play, to be honest i'm a little lost as to what their game plan actually is. But I could see Godwin playing 12 or even 13 in the current Reds backline, and filling that role well.

Status
Not open for further replies.