• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect a major reason why blokes like McKellar, Graham and Stiles get picked are because they’re cheap.
Totally agree, but I bet they wish they paid that extra amount if it got more people to the stadium. Seen many a report saying the average attendee spends around $70 per game, and I imagine the sponsorship deals are either structured to pay more for a higher crowd, or are negotiated based on crowd numbers; either way, more people at the stadium = more money in.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Appointing a coach on the cheap is false economy, as the drop in attendances at the Aus Super Rugby games shows. Losing games will cost more in the longer run.

Get on a winning streak with a top class coach and watch the attendances rise and the franchise become more attractive to sponsors.

EDIT : Beaten to the punch by Roffy.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Appointing a coach on the cheap is false economy, as the drop in attendances at the Aus Super Rugby games shows. Losing games will cost more in the longer run.

Get on a winning streak with a top class coach and watch the attendances rise and the franchise become more attractive to sponsors.

EDIT : Beaten to the punch by Roffy.
Good coaching makes a hell of a difference

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
It would have been interesting to see how Tim Sampson would have gone given the opportunity.

In lieu of the big names the right up and coming coach(s) looking to establish his (their) name(s) could be a good option. But its identifying them.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It would have been interesting to see how Tim Sampson would have gone given the opportunity.

Tim Sampson is a good prospect, but needs more experience IMO.............

He's done well to get the Force gig, but it's difficult to assess his progress with the quality of WSR.

Still, he's someone to keep an eye on for the future.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think experience-wise, Sampson would have been in the same boat as McKellar. Better to allow him time to develop in WRC and then, if the Brumbies are still alive in some competition, work to get him back if he proves to be successful. Like the way he has the Force playing with intent though.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know it's hindsight, but the thing Tim Sampson brings that McKellar lacks is some kind of identity to the team; you can clearly see how they want to play the game. I'd argue that any advantage McKellar brings could be matched by Fisher, Ryan, or Palmer as supporting coaches.

Reactions: mst

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know it's hindsight, but the thing Tim Sampson brings that McKellar lacks is some kind of identity to the team; you can clearly see how they want to play the game. I'd argue that any advantage McKellar brings could be matched by Fisher, Ryan, or Palmer as supporting coaches.
I just think there is was better more experienced coaches out there then McKellar...Nothing when he run the Vikings that made me confident he had the right type of quality to be head coach..we all saw it and now it's happened we are rable..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^interestingly Sampson did quiet a good job with the CBR Vikings team unlike McKellar. It was also done without any direct connection / access/ previous working knowledge with the Brumbies players.

It was also reported that RA were chasing him as an under 20's assistant.

i am not saying he was the best candidate available but I cant help but wonder how he would have went at the Brumbies helm. Sadly he is contracted until the end of 2019.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
This should probably go in a match thread but couldn't find one.

After the Rebels game didn't McKellar say he would bring in big changes for the SA tour? I seem to recall him saying something along those lines. Looks like the big changes were miving Christian back to 10 (hasn't performed) bringing Godwin to 12 (actually hasn't been as bad as I though he'd be but still not brilliant) leaving TK at 13 (RUBBISH - NEEDS TO BE LEFT OUT OF THE 23) and moving Valetini to 6 while benching Mcaffrey (can go with that one).

The Upsides? Strong bench around 6/7 with Cusack and Mcaffrey.

The Downsides? The backs. Also think Henry needs a break, he looked like he was limping after the last game and with only 2 backs on the bench it could be an issue.

TEAM
  1. Scott SIO
  2. Folau FAINGA’A
  3. Allan Ala'alatoa
  4. Rory ARNOLD
  5. Sam CARTER
  6. Rob VALETINI
  7. David POCOCK
  8. Isi NAISARANI
  9. Joe POWELL
  10. Christian LEALIIFANO
  11. Andrew MUIRHEAD
  12. Kyle GODWIN
  13. Tevita KURIDRANI
  14. Henry SPEIGHT
  15. Tom BANKS
REPLACEMENTS
  1. Robbie ABEL
  2. Nick MAYHEW
  3. Ben ALEXANDER
  4. Blake ENEVER
  5. Lachlan MCCAFFREY
  6. Tom CUSACK
  7. Matt LUCAS
  8. Andrew SMITH

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Didn’t Naisarani only sign a one year contract? I’m hoping not but maybe he’s moving on?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the Brumbies appear to be signing Pete Samu for next season

Why? Of all the places they need reinforcements and investment, another backrower?

I partly agree....... but where else is he going to go that isn't stocked with backrowers?

And the Brumbies did have to call up an Oakman-Hunt this year due to injuries.

But I do foresee somebody moving on due to lack of game time........... It's almost as if we need a fifth team.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I partly agree... but where else is he going to go that isn't stocked with backrowers?

And the Brumbies did have to call up an Oakman-Hunt this year due to injuries.

But I do foresee somebody moving on due to lack of game time..... It's almost as if we need a fifth team.
The fucking Waratahs? Outside Hooper we have not one fit and capable back rower in the state.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Watched Godwin play John I Dent Cup last week and that looked about his level to me. Nothing in the performance to warrant a call up to Super Rugby level.

Status
Not open for further replies.