• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
hope a few in the nations capital can get to games and provide a boost to crowd numbers. Just read an article in the age stating that the club is unviable if numbers stay so low.

I don't want to see any further dilution to oz rugby.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rug...if-crowds-drop-continues-20180524-p4zh6e.html

Reading the article I have to confess that I am puzzled by how writing to your about 5000'ish supporters (members) and stakeholders, who are already the supporters / stakeholders that do generally turn up is a sound marketing strategy to attract 10k+ beyond the people you are writing to.

Most members are very well aware of all the issues mentioned I would find it hard to believe that members would not be already encouraging of friends, colleges and other family attending games.

The reality is the the Raiders have shown that the venue really isn't the issue and have scheduling challenges as well. Although theirs are less challenging as the governing body has more interest in their issues.

The Raiders crowd appears to have increased after a significant culture shift and with the increased success of the team. The Raiders also have really done well with their game day experience. The Viking clap and big horn are examples of this.

This is more about performances and the decline has been occurring for a few season now. Until the Brumbies want to make the big changes to move away from the current state (culture and philosophy) its hard to see a supporter resurgence until at best mid next year; and only if the Brumbies are belting every team they play.

IMHO they would probably get better support buy appointing the 3 top local JiD coaches immediately as a interim measure while looking forward to next season. It would be an immediate culture change and really involve the heart of the Canberra Rugby community. Move on the players that are already going and roll the dice with the "new" Brumbies for the remaining games.

The Brumbies were the small club of locals and the discarded who as a small community (Canberra is a relatively small place) and family formed a powerful initiative team in the nations capital. This has diminished with the increasing domination of the Boardroom in its running. Time to get back to what the club is really about I think.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Presumably the Brumbies mailing list is far bigger than just the full season members.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Presumably the Brumbies mailing list is far bigger than just the full season members.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Potentially not; The ACT Brumbies have written to stakeholders and members to encourage them .....

I would be unsure if writing to non-members would be an acceptable practise being cognisant of privacy requirements and the potential adverse reaction to unsolicited "spam".

In fact they do not have all their members email / address details. Usually their is an account holder and from there its an opt-in address system. Our group of five generally receive one email to the account holder even though the others opted-in in past seasons.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Potentially not; The ACT Brumbies have written to stakeholders and members to encourage them ...

I would be unsure if writing to non-members would be an acceptable practise being cognisant of privacy requirements and the potential adverse reaction to unsolicited "spam".

In fact they do not have all their members email / address details. Usually their is an account holder and from there its an opt-in address system. Our group of five generally receive one email to the account holder even though the others opted-in in past seasons.

Also all registered players in the zone (SIRU, Monaro & South Coast) are counted as Brumbies members even if they support other teams

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Im feeling the pain for you guys in Canberra. One of the things I've noticed with being out of the control of RA is the marketing of The Force here in Perth. Every radio station has a Force player on for a segment leading into the games' ABC news is running stories of the Force and nearly every bus has signs planted on the back. People who have never been to a game are commenting on the amount of marketing that's been happening. It's not rocket science but it works.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One of the things I've noticed with being out of the control of RA is the marketing of The Force here in Perth. Every radio station has a Force player on for a segment leading into the games' ABC news is running stories of the Force and nearly every bus has signs planted on the back. People who have never been to a game are commenting on the amount of marketing that's been happening. It's not rocket science but it works.

It's great but no one knows what the financials of that looks like yet (or possibly ever will).

The crowds have been fantastic and by all reports the advertising is very prevalent in Perth but what is the return on it? I would be unbelievably surprised if the marketing spend isn't significantly more than the return on it.

One of the big problems with lack of funds is that advertising for Super Rugby is very limited. RA rightly puts their modest advertising budget into the Wallabies because it delivers a far greater return.

RA promoted the crap out of the ARC in 2007 and it was well attended but the extra revenue from fans attending went nowhere close to paying for the marketing.

The Force are currently in the enviable position of having someone financing them who is willing to lose money doing so. Ultimately we need some private equity in our other teams and owners willing to do the same.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Judging the amount to be spent on marketing would certainly be a balancing act. But I don't think it should be measured simply against increase in patronage. If crowds are up over a longer term because of some continuing advertising campaign, then it would be expected that sponsorships would become more valued also. Doing nothing in the way of advertising/marketing at the Super level is surely the wrong path.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
BH there are a few ways to market the players and game and not having to spend a kings ransom. I bet 8 out of ten people could not name or recognise players from the Brumbies around the Canberra region. Once the RA releases the reins of the marketing and allows the clubs to do it themselves well you may see things improve. I'm pretty sure sending out media releases and pissing in the pocket of radio producers and presenters, to have players and coaches etc on the program, wouldn't cost a lot as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
. Once the RA releases the reins of the marketing and allows the clubs to do it themselves well you may see things improve. I'm pretty sure sending out media releases and pissing in the pocket of radio producers and presenters, to have players and coaches etc on the program, wouldn't cost a lot as well.

What makes you think the teams aren't able to do these things now?

I think the vast majority of promotion that teams do is through the cheap methods such as social media. Cost wise this is an excellent option and they need to be doing as much of it as possible.

The marketing around Perth that has been so impressive is costly though and that's the thing that is hard to compete with just by low cost methods.

It's a difficult position. Clearly the sport needs more people putting equity in the game who are prepared to lose money doing it. That is the situation for the Force and indeed the situation in the UK and France that has allowed those leagues to grow so much.

If you look at the A League, private owners have poured hundred(s) of millions into the competition in terms of accumulated losses since it started. We need that sort of investment.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Jeez BH it's not that fucking hard! And yes my understanding is that every team attached to RA and Super Rugby has to get permission from RA to market themselves and marketing initiatives.
If your marketing budget is just not there then what can you do? Knocking on the door of the local radio stations or tv stations doesn't cost that much. Get the players out in the community and active but not at the usual haunts. Try something bloody new or die a fucken cold death.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
BH there are a few ways to market the players and game and not having to spend a kings ransom. I bet 8 out of ten people could not name or recognise players from the Brumbies around the Canberra region. Once the RA releases the reins of the marketing and allows the clubs to do it themselves well you may see things improve. I'm pretty sure sending out media releases and pissing in the pocket of radio producers and presenters, to have players and coaches etc on the program, wouldn't cost a lot as well.

I can confirm that every club has its own marketing department and is completely independent of the ARU when it comes to promoting the clubs own Super Rugby games, where the issue is however is the people at the top of these organisations lacking the understanding/skills to promote in the modern climate.

Generally the marketing staff are semi-experienced people that have a decent understanding of the digital and outdoor advertising platforms available, where they are limited is people in decision making positions not preparing to invest in tools for example that help segmentation analysis of their fans/non fans (understanding psychographics of what makes these people tick), or the budget available to promote on modern platforms (target campaigns on facebook, dcm), etc. probably an indication that there is too many accountants/administrators that count the beans but have no clear idea about rugby, or too many rugby people that constantly see correlation with what happened in their day but don't have the business acumen to bring the club into the modern and professional world of rugby.

Reactions: mst

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks Rebel for clarifying that. My apologies BH.
I totally agree re the accountants in charge. Nice people accountants but their job is too constantly worry about the beans instead of figuring out how to make the beans procreate.
I reckon a certain percentage should also be put back onto the players as well. No attractive rugby means no attracting bums on seats. No bums on seats means no attracting sponsors, no sponsors means no upping of wages. It's not that fucking hard!!
But then again I was born in the seventies when plain and simple things were explained to you and were taken on board.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
How much would it cost for the the giant Force advertisement covering the entire wall just past the security on the Virgin side of Perth airport?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Thanks for the laugh mate!
Dunno Cobber but its bloody good! Mind you that's only one part of the marketing and advertising that's been happening, being able to get the players and coaches voices on the radio and Tv has been excellent as well. Id say a lot of pissing in pockets and favours have been called as well to get these things happening.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting signing. Is he Wallaby class or are we just desperate for some hope and new blood?

I’d love to keep him and he’s a wonderful player, just what the wallabies need, but I hope big Isi opts to play for Fiji. This would obviously mean he has to go overseas but it would be a fantastic boost for the Fijians.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
He wouldn't HAVE to go overseas - all our teams can still pick 1 foreign marquee player, plus a foreign developing plus a Japanese player. Tahs have Tawake I think but Reds and Brumbies haven't used theirs.​
Naisarani could (at this stage) even be the Brumbies 'foreign developing player' technically I think. A noneligible player who is not capped by another country. (Reds had JJ Taulagi). I think that is a favourable classification for salary cap purposes.​

Status
Not open for further replies.