• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies (3rd) v Sharks (6th) - Super Rugby 2019 QF 4

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Arnold, Samu, AAA

Standouts in the Forwards.

Speight, Banks Powell in the backs

No passengers, they all played well

Absolutely. Powell MOTM for me. Samu right behind him but only 40mins - hope he's OK.

First 20min set the scene. Then 60% of the game the Brumbies lost the kicking game and with it both possession and territory. Held it together on their defence. Then took every opportunity given them.

Awesome maul and scrum. Really enjoyed Lucas try at the end.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Absolutely. Powell MOTM for me. Samu right behind him but only 40mins - hope he's OK.

First 20min set the scene. Then 60% of the game the Brumbies lost the kicking game and with it both the possession and territory game. Held it together on their defence. Then took every opportunity given them.

Awesome maul and scrum. Really enjoyed Lucas try at the end.

was there a MOTM named??

If I had to name 1 it would be Speight. He injected himself really well, very busy for a wing. Some nice work in defense as well and a good turnover or 2.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
was there a MOTM named??

If I had to name 1 it would be Speight. He injected himself really well, very busy for a wing. Some nice work in defense as well and a good turnover or 2.

Yes on Speight, but Powell's defence was amazing, his determination when defending rucks was superb, his supporting play on the ball, AND he played a decent 9 too. Bloody good knock there.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes on Speight, but Powell's defence was amazing, his determination when defending rucks was superb, his supporting play on the ball, AND he played a decent 9 too. Bloody good knock there.

I was never a fan, after the awful game for the Wobs. Didn't think he was up to that level. But he is playing very now, improved a lot. I think he is the best 9 in the country now.

Reactions: dru

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I was never a fan, after the awful game for the Wobs. Didn't think he was up to that level. But he is playing very now, improved a lot. I think he is the best 9 in the country now.

While I think they'll pick Genia to start (his late season poor form notwithstanding), no doubt Powell is next cab off the rank at the moment. Very good game last night.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
While I think they'll pick Genia to start (his late season poor form notwithstanding), no doubt Powell is next cab off the rank at the moment. Very good game last night.

I think you are right. Genia to start. I will be surprised if they don't take Phipps, and I know I am alone here but I think Phipps is a good selection. He is an X factor player and when he is playing well he is good and can lift other players around him. His work rate second to none.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think you are right. Genia to start. I will be surprised if they don't take Phipps, and I know I am alone here but I think Phipps is a good selection. He is an X factor player and when he is playing well he is good and can lift other players around him. His work rate second to none.
I think your right, it will be Genia, Phipps and a third halfback probably Powell or White.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

while this is likely, i find it hard even as a tahs fan to have phipps ahead of white on form atm.

had gordon ahead of powell earlier the season, but thought powell did a great job last. i made the earlier comment about his long con psych out, bided his time for the maximum impact off a quick snipe and it paid off.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
while this is likely, i find it hard even as a tahs fan to have phipps ahead of white on form atm.

had gordon ahead of powell earlier the season, but thought powell did a great job last. i made the earlier comment about his long con psych out, bided his time for the maximum impact off a quick snipe and it paid off.
Can you share Whites form please? Phipps has been pretty good I reckon, not as good as Powell but better than Gordon and I need a reference point for White.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Can you share Whites form please? Phipps has been pretty good I reckon, not as good as Powell but better than Gordon and I need a reference point for White.

There was a lot of talk overseas that White's been in sparkling form, which is more then I can say about most the Australian's overseas talks mostly rubbished them. I saw his highlights in the final for Exeter game and he was pretty awesome there.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There was a lot of talk overseas that White's been in sparkling form, which is more then I can say about most the Australian's overseas talks mostly rubbished them. I saw his highlights in the final for Exeter game and he was pretty awesome there.
Well, i’ll assess his actual form in whichever game he gets selected for in the RC.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Maybe, but we've heard this before about countless players, and I struggle to remember one that actually came back and played demonstrably better than they were, prior to leaving. We'll wait and see.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe, but we've heard this before about countless players, and I struggle to remember one that actually came back and played demonstrably better than they were, prior to leaving. We'll wait and see.
Beale. But certainly the exception to the rule and possibly (probably) because he was always undercoached due to his talents and they actually developed him up there.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Beale. But certainly the exception to the rule and possibly (probably) because he was always undercoached due to his talents and they actually developed him up there.

Didn't take him long to regress. Must be us.
im-sorry-george-its-not-you-its-me-youre-giving-37251714.png

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

I said mostly I've seen other players have been rubbish, bit different to what Ive been hearing about White.. but yes we will see.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I am continually disappointed with Will G when he refuses to get involved at the breakdown, either to protect his own ball or to put pressure on the opposition. Too many times he simply stands back when he is the closest Rebels/Wallabies player to the tackle but will not get involved. While he's not in any sort of form atm and he has this glaring deficiency in his game, I would not personally like to see him in the Wallabies squad at all. We have a few other No 9s who will give better overall service to the team than Will does.