• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies (3rd) v Sharks (6th) - Super Rugby 2019 QF 4

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I am continually disappointed with Will G when he refuses to get involved at the breakdown, either to protect his own ball or to put pressure on the opposition. Too many times he simply stands back when he is the closest Rebels/Wallabies player to the tackle but will not get involved. While he's not in any sort of form atm and he has this glaring deficiency in his game, I would not personally like to see him in the Wallabies squad at all. We have a few other No 9s who will give better overall service to the team than Will does.
Something ain’t right at the Rebels. Pretty much every capped Wallaby at the franchise (excluding Koroibete) has been shit for the last third of the soup comp. Will won’t be getting dropped, others like DHP and Quade might be given the benefit of the doubt too, most of them had a good start to the season. One suspect it’s the culture or the coaching, not the players. The Tevita syndrome should be brought up here - traditionally he has an average soup season then kicks butt in the test season - this year he’s had a great soup season so hopefully we don’t get a role reversal this year! Point is, I’m pretty confident Genia will come good and shouldn’t be disregarded, and won’t be, on the back of a poor Rebels back end of the season.

EDIT: sorry, just reread your post and realise you are talking about his play in general, not just his recent form. Despite his deficiencies, when he’s on song he’s far and away our best halfback.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I am continually disappointed with Will G when he refuses to get involved at the breakdown, either to protect his own ball or to put pressure on the opposition. Too many times he simply stands back when he is the closest Rebels/Wallabies player to the tackle but will not get involved. While he's not in any sort of form atm and he has this glaring deficiency in his game, I would not personally like to see him in the Wallabies squad at all. We have a few other No 9s who will give better overall service to the team than Will does.

Yeah, it kills me hey. Don't know what it is, it comes off as arrogance and lack of passion for the game, which I know it isn't.

There are a slew of 9s running around who can and will pilfer. Powell ain't bad at it.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Something ain’t right at the Rebels. Pretty much every capped Wallaby at the franchise (excluding Koroibete) has been shit for the last third of the soup comp. Will won’t be getting dropped, others like DHP and Quade might be given the benefit of the doubt too, most of them had a good start to the season. One suspect it’s the culture or the coaching, not the players. The Tevita syndrome should be brought up here - traditionally he has an average soup season then kicks butt in the test season - this year he’s had a great soup season so hopefully we don’t get a role reversal this year! Point is, I’m pretty confident Genia will come good and shouldn’t be disregarded, and won’t be, on the back of a poor Rebels back end of the season.

TK benefited from having a preseason, for the first time in a long time, I think he use to come back burnt out then took him a while to warm into the season.

Quade shouldnt get the benefit, his form hasn't been good enough, Genia yes, DHP probably yes.. but Maddocks no

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Maybe, but we've heard this before about countless players, and I struggle to remember one that actually came back and played demonstrably better than they were, prior to leaving. We'll wait and see.
I agree. There's a real trend to bag fringe players before they head OS, then then people get misty eyed and lament the fact that they left and how much they've improved. If you take White for example, he doesn't get scrutinised on a week to week or head to head against the other Super Rugby contenders. A lot of comments revolve around heresay about how he's killing it, but how many games have people actually seen him play?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree. There's a real trend to bag fringe players before they head OS, then then people get misty eyed and lament the fact that they left and how much they've improved. If you take White for example, he doesn't get scrutinised on a week to week or head to head against the other Super Rugby contenders. A lot of comments revolve around heresay about how he's killing it, but how many games have people actually seen him play?

He was playing pretty well here before he left, I think was the 2nd best HB in Oz, no matter how much people bagged him. He wanted to get away from playing a kicking Jake White game plan, and ended up having to go to Exeter to do it. Personally I dont think he should be selected, his not signed on till well after the world cup, it's not like To'omua who came back this year (even though a short season).

But Nic White is coming into his prime, and his probably in the top 2 HB in the country, and well worth a crack in the RC.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)

I've seen every game he's played in England, a few of them in person, haha.

I stand by my comments that he's in the top 5 scrumhalves in the world right now. I also stand by my comments that he was an undervalued player who was misused by the Wallabies before he left.

My opposition to selecting him is that he isn't in Australia, and there are a few players here showing real promise. Play in Australia and then I'll say he should be first choice scrumhalf.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It's cause he is the primary playmaker and doesn't want to get stuck in a ruck and cut out from the game.

Not a good reason, but the reason.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure one thing you can say about WG is he doesn’t lose sleep over what people think.

Actually - that’s not really true. He gets pretty prickly when people knock him, but not to the point he shows any intent to change.

Well, that my view from afar at least.