• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Crusaders Rd 18 Sat 13 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
He was coming across in cover as a sweeper, but it's not an excuse.

This is under 10's stuff, if there's a big fucker running down the sideline, ESPECIALLY when he's only 5m out, you just charge at the ankles and drag the legs over the sideline.

Fuck the offload, that requires a big man in motion with various forces on him, to get a pass away in time, that is good enough for a back up runner to catch, assuming he's even there.

If he get's it away and it works, well, shit happens, but you fucken FORCE him into that option by going low.

It cost us two tries, there's no way around it.

My last words as you have obviously made up your mind and have it set in stone.

I've always been told that for the fullback in Rugby and the Goal Keeper in Soccer to have to make a last ditch effort the other blokes in front have been beaten.

As I said in the post you quoted, his defensive ratios are very good and if he was a consistently poor defender you could pose the argument you are. It isn't the case and the argument looks more like laying the blame on Coleman for the loss instead of looking at the poor attack structures that the Brumbies have used for most of this season.

As for saying the defence improved when To'omua came on, that like arguing you don't need the lights on when the sun is shining, any defence will be improved by Matt To'omua in the backline.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He was coming across in cover as a sweeper, but it's not an excuse.

This is under 10's stuff, if there's a big fucker running down the sideline, ESPECIALLY when he's only 5m out, you just charge at the ankles and drag the legs over the sideline.

Fuck the offload, that requires a big man in motion with various forces on him, to get a pass away in time, that is good enough for a back up runner to catch, assuming he's even there.

If he get's it away and it works, well, shit happens, but you fucken FORCE him into that option by going low.

It cost us two tries, there's no way around it.

At some stages in the second half Coleman was lined up on the end of the backline in defense, straight opposite Nadolo. Wasn't always coming across in cover. Just mind boggling.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
The Brumbies knock on wouldn't affect the penalty advantage the Crusaders had...

It's play on until he comes back to the original penalty advantage.
So they can pick and choose which advantage they want? What if another penalty Was conceded but the penalty before which they still Had advantage for was in a better position for a shot at goal?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Was at the game with Crusader fans and we were just hoping that Nic White starts for the Wallabies against the ABs this year :)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
My last words as you have obviously made up your mind and have it set in stone.

I've always been told that for the fullback in Rugby and the Goal Keeper in Soccer to have to make a last ditch effort the other blokes in front have been beaten.

As I said in the post you quoted, his defensive ratios are very good and if he was a consistently poor defender you could pose the argument you are. It isn't the case and the argument looks more like laying the blame on Coleman for the loss instead of looking at the poor attack structures that the Brumbies have used for most of this season.

As for saying the defence improved when To'omua came on, that like arguing you don't need the lights on when the sun is shining, any defence will be improved by Matt To'omua in the backline.

We're arguing different points, i'm not talking about general play.

Specifically cover defense against a sideline, you never go high unless you're physically able to bosh them over the sideline.

Coleman should never, ever have been going high in that situation and the proof is in the two tries conceded by shit technique.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah....you should go low like this

The reality is Coleman was on a hiding to nothing - in most cases only someone like Pocock or Kaino have a chance in a one-on-one situation against someone like Nadolo that close to the line.....

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Dagg isn't really sweeping from the side in that clip, he gets bumped off in front and his entire body shape is awful. It's like he got stuck in two minds between going for an ankle tap or driving up through the ball carrier's hip/groin area and ended up just doing his best interpretation of a human London Bridge instead.

Coleman got put down in at an angle much closer to the one that the Crusader's 14 had there - and Savea just pulled off a beautiful "rip" in that situation, these things happen.

This is much closer to the type of tackle that Brumbieman is advocating when a big man is steaming down the sideline and the defense is coming across:

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The guy Savea gets rid of before Dagg (Crotty maybe??) does have a similar angle to the Lomu clip but again, ineffective.

I'm not saying Coleman couldn't have tackled him but he's getting judged pretty harshly given the size he was giving up and the fact that Nadolo is one of the premium finishers on the competition. Rolling guys is what he does.

Hell, Coleman's not the first guy Nadolo has left in his wake on the way to a try.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Yeah I agree that it's harsh on Coleman in general to expect him to take down Nadolo, but at the same time the way he attempted to do it was pretty awful too.

Status
Not open for further replies.