• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, round 12, Friday 1 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
I agree with most of this. However few points of contention:
  • Beale broke the line on several occasions, showing his capability to turn a game. However his decision making overshadows this.
  • Very tough to judge Moore better than TPN when TPN was off so early in the game with a head knock.
My issue with Beale is that at 12 his first instinct is to step or go sideways. He rarely runs a straight line, and I think it blunts the attack, and leaves less room for the outside backs. As talented as the guy is.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Brumbies were the better team tonight, but couldn't finish off their moves when in try scoring positions. The game could and probably should have been won with the rolling maul towards the end when Ben Robinson and another Tahs player both came around the side to tie up Pocock at the back. Obvious indiscretions that went unchallenged by the ref.

Otherwise, Ita Vaea was best forward on the ground imo, followed by Pocock and Fardy for the Brumbies and Hooper and Skelton for the Tahs. Tahs front row outmuscled the Brumbies in the scrum but that's to be expected with JP starting. Scott Sio can't return soon enough.

Moggy not too bad again and put in some very good kicks for territory. What the Wallabies could do with a boot that good.

TK still not near his best. Still suffering his shoulder injury I think but his defense was a bit improved. Henry surprisingly starved of the ball. Folau again a big threat to the Brumbies' defense.

A very tight game where I think the wrong team won.
Mogg's positioning and boot was great. He just needs to add more strings to his bow. I doubt many defences are too concerned with him with ball in hand.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Latu has shown all year that there is little difference in the Tahs when TPN isn't available. Latu has really stepped up this year and I think he is pushing to be third ranked hooker. He beats Charles, Fainga'a and Hanson IMO simply because he is very dominant in defence, a great runner with the ball, dominant in the scrum with his one weakness being the lineout, which he has improved markedly on last year.

The Brumbies lost that game. Plain and simple. Massive dominance for long sections in terms of territory and possession. Waratahs doing their best to knock on every ball they got, and to top it off played with 14. Yet the Brumbies attack remains pretty toothless, relying totally on one out runners. Even with the Waratahs dropping nearly every ball they tried far more in attack actually passing the ball more than once off the ruck.

I truly hope Larkham has something far more than this crap (that looks much like the Macqueen constant recycle plan from 1998-2002) for the Wallabies.
It's a shame that the line out is the area where he is required to be faultless.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
You are entirely correct Barbarian, the Brumbies had a number of chances at the end of the game. The Tahs really had nothing in the second half and never looked like scoring. The reasons the Brumbies didn't score were a combination of good Tahs defense, refereeing oversights and poor execution by the Brumbies.

Tahs' defense was strong all nightv Put the Brumbies under pressure at almost every ruck.

Referee missed the illegalities of the Tahs' maul defense on a couple of crucial occasions. Especially, Benn Robinson and another coming around the maul and taking the ball carrier out illegally late in the game which should have resulted in a penalty almost in front of the sticks.

Brumbies then compounded the situation by poor finishing late in the game when in very good scoring position.

I stick by my view that the Brumbies were the better side on the night and could have turned a couple of situations at least into points late in the game. The Tahs were not in the same situation almost for the entire second half.
Gracious... But I find it hard to swallow http you're arguing that the tahs defence of the maul is illegal, when there were so many brumbies joining the maul in front of the carrier. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Hooper is a still a bit young and was probably being goaded by the Brumbies all match. Who knows.
I just know the GOAT would stoop to such levels:).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Gagger said:
[quote uid=5847 name="Merrow" post=737442]I call bullshit

I call scoreboard[/quote]

I call for drinks.. Fuck it I'll write my preview in the morning..
Cos right now it's the summer of 69..

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kafer did a piece before the game on the different ways & areas both sevens play in their respective teams.

Hooper's comment to Kafer was rather telling, to paraphrase "I play to our game plan"

I though both were immense, and both are very good weapons to be available for the Wobs

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kudos to the Tahs to be in the position they are in.
But your run home is easy (ish). I'd be pretty confident from here if I was you. At least of topping the Aussie conference. (the Brumbies still have to play the top two SA sides the Stormers and the Bulls)

Your last four games are against (as it stands right now) against the 8th, 9th , 12th, 14th, 15th placed teams.

and the ponies still have a bye as well

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper's comment to Kafer was rather telling, to paraphrase "I play to our game plan"

Which is why no matter how many people put forward Pocock's name for the Wallabies, Cheika will select Hooper - he implements the game plan/style that Cheika wants.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Which is why no matter how many people put forward Pocock's name for the Wallabies, Cheika will select Hooper - he implements the game plan/style that Cheika wants.

I don't know what the final game plan will be, but when one is leading the defensive line and the other is trying to be second to the tackle it is hard to compare

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah, OK. That was a huge game, hard fought. Plenty of emotion for both sides. I'm not going to slate a guy for showing it. I realise others want to.

Who's slating him? A couple of people think that what he did at the end was a bit poor, a bit dickish. That's it. You're possibly being a touch over protective.

Status
Not open for further replies.