• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, round 12, Friday 1 May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
It shits me how long they take. That same sequence would now take around 1:50. It's bullshit. Same with lineouts. One benefit of watching on IQ is that you can fast forward all the time wasting.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
What, by disagreeing with you? It's just called disagreeing. Nothing more or less.
Nope, it was just your choice of words. You seemed to think that a couple of folk calling what he did, poor sportsmanship, was people slating him. That gave me the impression that it was a touchy topic for you. He hardly got slated. By and large most people were pretty complimentary of his game it's just that last bit knocked the gloss off it a touch.
But anyway, I thought he was a dick at the end there and you didn't. Fair enough.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I've watched that play a few times now. I can't see it.

Hooper is facing the Brumbies when Jackson blows the whistle, and is clearly pumped. He screams and stares into the middle distance, walking forward about three steps. He wasn't near anyone, and it clearly was not directed at anyone, just a general burst of emotion after a hard fought game. He just happened to be facing the Brumbies at the time.

He then walks back and congratulates his side.

Storm in a teacup.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Nope, it was just your choice of words. You seemed to think that a couple of folk calling what he did, poor sportsmanship, was people slating him. That gave me the impression that it was a touchy topic for you. He hardly got slated. By and large most people were pretty complimentary of his game it's just that last bit knocked the gloss off it a touch.
But anyway, I thought he was a dick at the end there and you didn't. Fair enough.
Whatever. Dismissing my opinion as "over-sensitive" or "touchy" is annoying. Calling someone a dick is fine (and it is slating someone, i.e. criticising them), but disagreeing makes me over-sensitive? Not sure why one is more valid than the other.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I love the scrummaging at the moment, I love to see the pressure being exerted, but it could be quicker to kick off

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Whatever. Dismissing my opinion as "over-sensitive" or "touchy" is annoying. Calling someone a dick is fine (and it is slating someone, i.e. criticising them), but disagreeing makes me over-sensitive? Not sure why one is more valid than the other.
I'm sure it is annoying but that's not what I was trying to do. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me and vice versa. I initially thought yours was an over reaction but as you pointed out I had misread you. Then I tried to explain how I got to where I did but have come across dismissive again it seems. So I apologise for that but need to stress that was not my intention at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It feels to me that people would have also criticised Hooper for not caring enough if he hadn't made a show of emotion at the end of the game.

He is definitely being cast as the bad guy in the Pocock v Hooper battle. Lots of people seem to be trying to find fault in everything he does.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Really? That's a pretty long bow BH. He could've turned to his team mates and did the exact same thing and it wouldn't have rated a mention. It's the fact that he walked straight towards the beaten brumbies that made it pretty ungracious.
Apart from what he did at the end of the match, people pretty much universally said they (Hooper and Pocock) both went well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haters gotta hate. If you look for it, you will see it.

My special subject is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) passing the pill. I drink every time the phenomena happens. Yet to get drunk.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah Hooper does get unfairly targeted at times. Although having said that he certainly does show some immature characteristics on the field - the way he addresses refs and the way he speaks to opponents on the field. Not big things but lots of little incidents. These little incidents like the ending of this game and on occasion some sledging on the field adds to the fuel.

I certainly wouldn't call him a poor character but I also wouldn't call him ideal captain material either. My guess is he will grow out this niggling immaturity.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah Hooper does get unfairly targeted at times. Although having said that he certainly does show some immature characteristics on the field - the way he addresses refs and the way he speaks to opponents on the field. Not big things but lots of little incidents. These little incidents like the ending of this game and on occasion some sledging on the field adds to the fuel.

I certainly wouldn't call him a poor character but I also wouldn't call him ideal captain material either. My guess is he will grow out this niggling immaturity.

yet he was picked over all other alternatives in the wobs - at the age of 23.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What do bovines have to do with Hooper being made captain?
More about the other meaning of the word (as you well know) and revisionist historians attempting to rewrite reality

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Haters gotta hate. If you look for it, you will see it.

My special subject is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) passing the pill. I drink every time the phenomena happens. Yet to get drunk.

HJ you might need to quinella AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with Godwin. Since moving to 13 he has rarely let the ball go on the odd occasions it gets out to him. Although, that's probably not entirely right. He seems to lose possession in the tackle a whole lot and I assume that happens because he gets himself isolated by going alone.

In any case, I think you could double your interest without any danger still of getting drunk.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
bullocks

Well was he a good captain? I don't think he was.

He had a "lead by example" type of captaincy which was almost solely based on performance and ignores the other qualities of a great captain such as ref management, game management, player management.

Yes he did the job. But theres doing the job and then theres doing the job well.

FYI, I'm not Hooper bashing, I think one day he will have these qualities but at the moment, whilst his on-field performances are top notch I think his leadership skills are still a bit immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.