• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 1st April, GIO

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Spare us the pearl clutching, I've been to the SFS and Tahs fans are exactly the same. Added to that, the SFS is the only place where I have been verbally abused for wearing the opposing team's jersey. That said, I loathe booing the visiting team's goal kicker and I think it shows a total lack of class.

I made the observation that at the Moana Pasifika game the Brumbies supporters, with the exception of one or two morons, were silent when Christian Leali'ifano was kicking for goal. I suppose that reflects the respect and affection that the Canberra crowd has for him.
I note that the boos for that conversion were after the Brums try was pulled back for a forward, then the next Tahs try was off an apparent forward that wasn't called.

Rest of time were pretty good

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I went up via Nerriga and Tarago then through Queanbeyan but back via highway and off at Exeter and Kangaroo Valley - had to pick up wife and kids at Latham first or would have been home earlier
The Tarrago/Nerriga route is the best way to Nowra.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It looks to me like the Tahs simply infringed a lot when under pressure…

How many consecutive scrum penalties leading to two yellow cards?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Well you may laugh, but after attending the match I can only agree with that statement. (From a former referee.)

Just back home in the Blue Mountains, does anyone have a penalty count?
Do u live in Blue Mountains?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Berrys insistence to card the Tahs yet let the Brums do whatever they want highlights everything wrong with Super Rugby. The utter lack of consistency is mind boggling. Perese’s high tackle was nothing like Frosts who connected with Jorgensens head with his shoulder but Berry didn’t even bother to look at it.
i was at the game and as soon as that incident popped up on the replay the screen suddenly had some ad to meet the Brumbies Chairman. Added to this the boos and whistles from the crowd when Tahs were attempting conversions and p goals is peak Canberra.
Really would have been nice to leave the stadium with a win but maybe another year asking what went wrong is what the sky blue need
James Slipper and Nic Berry were the best Brumbies players last night

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Take another look at the penalty count and see what you think.

I am completely neutral having no great love for either Brumbies or Waratahs other than a useful contribution to the Wallabies - but that game was skewed to the hilt by a one-sided reffing performance. imo.
Is it unthinkable Dru that the Brumbies just might have tightened up on their discipline this year. Look at the penalty stats for all games. The Brumbies are one of the least, or perhaps the least, penalised sides this year irrespective of the individual referee in charge.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For Londommer - the Nerriga route is sealed the whole way so long as you go via Tarrago (past the Loaded Dog hotel) and not via Braidwood. Very little traffic and no large mountains to cross like the Clyde or Macquarie Pass. Single lane each way but mostly in good condition and easily 100kph. Nerriga Pub also worth a stop for a bit of refreshment.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is it unthinkable Dru that the Brumbies just might have tightened up on their discipline this year. Look at the penalty stats for all games. The Brumbies are one of the least, or perhaps the least, penalised sides this year irrespective of the individual referee in charge.

BR, in my view you are not addressing the skew here, but yes I'm happy to accept that Brumbies have tightened their discipline - where that is defined as things are below the threshold likely to gain the ref's attention. Learning to adapt to the specific interpretation of the rules in the particular game. Just it comes nowhere close to the skew here.

The result is pretty simple for me: ref determined the outcome of this game.

Still, you'll be glad to hear that I am starting to warm to Wright and Muirhead. Happy to acknowledge Valetini as the clear form 8 in Australia. Slipper had a game for him to remember across a long career. The Brumbies scrum should be the mainstay to the Wallabies, though the response from the Waratahs with props swapping sides etc was impressive.

On the downside I'm starting to cool on Lolesio and starting to ask, is it true? Is the guy simply over-rated?

For the Waratahs I thought Nawaqanitawase immense. Looks to have. grown 2", 10 lbs, and gotten faster by 0.5s.

On a note for the Wallabies and in the latest Eddie podcast - his statement that 75% of tries are scored in three phases, so "why would you hold it longer?" That question was clearly answered last night. Why hold in a possession game at times of a tight game?:
1/ Down to 13 you would be mad to offer turnover.
2/ 5 min to go and needing a try to win. At that point you are 110% possession game and need to know how to do it.
3/ 1 in 4 tries are scored from possession!

Eddie talks about the Australian game being "clever". Well that should include the adaptability to play possession when it is the right strategy in a game. By all means base the game plan on short phase play, speed, increased ball in play, willingness to offload, pass, ball skills (if we are only expecting 3 or 4 phases may as well chance the ball a bit). BUT have that B Plan locked in everyones mentality as well.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dru, I agree almost entirely with your post, but not that Berry determined the outcome.

That aside, the Tahs played an extremely tough and proficient game. Both sides were able to hold the ball for longish periods and there were some exciting attacking raids by both. I think the pace of the game is causing defences to break down at times leading to more tries being scored as a result. There is no doubt that the game has substantially quickened this year. All very good signs I reckon.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dru, I agree almost entirely with your post, but not that Berry determined the outcome.

That aside, the Tahs played an extremely tough and proficient game. Both sides were able to hold the ball for longish periods and there were some exciting attacking raids by both. I think the pace of the game is causing defences to break down at times leading to more tries being scored as a result. There is no doubt that the game has substantially quickened this year. All very good signs I reckon.

Ah well, rule 10 I guess.

IT was a great game otherwise.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ponies have been pushed hard by a few teams this year and have found ways to win. Last night was no different. Tahs really need to fix up their discipline. If they can sort that out, they'll do well.

I noticed a fair bit of niggle between the teams during the game too. Good to see.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Congrats brums, not the best team on the night but able to adapt better. Mind you they played against 13 men for almost 10 and 14 men for more than 20 mins and still couldn’t use that advantage. Brums should have won by 20 with that advantage, so not good enough by any measure.

Lonergans penalty was a joke, clearly and directly in front of Berry put his hands on the ground first. It led to a great kick by Deb. and a try. Little things like that hurt. However, we should have exited better and not given the ball away.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
It looks to me like the Tahs simply infringed a lot when under pressure…

How many consecutive scrum penalties leading to two yellow cards?
The scrums were on par u til HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) got carded for a maul I fingement. Then they were under pressure and conceded 3 in a row for the second yellow. When all return Ed scrums were pretty even

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The scrums were on par u til HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) got carded for a maul I fingement. Then they were under pressure and conceded 3 in a row for the second yellow. When all return Ed scrums were pretty even
Justin Harrison said that HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) should not have been penalised for the maul infringement (on STAN).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What is the maul rule. The ref said HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) had come through legally and when he grabbed the ball carrier and tackled him he then infringed. Are you required to stay on your feet once you get to the person in possession? If so, why?

Pokinacha

Dave Cowper (27)
Are you required to stay on your feet once you get to the person in possession
I think it comes down to interpretation. Technically I believe you’re not able to deliberately collapse the maul by sacking the ball carrier but how you differentiate that from tackling him and taking him to ground I don’t know.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Waratahs lost game due to a 16-6 penalty count. Need to be more disciplined. Thought Frost should have had a yellow for head high on Jorgensen. Not even looked at.