• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Crusaders 6th April - Christchurch Stadium

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McCaffrey is good at this level and tries all night. But I don't think he is Wallaby material.

That's a strange reaction to his his game yesterday, as he received plaudits for his performance from both BJ on the G&GR match review, and on rugby.com.au's article who wrote this about him::

Locky McCaffrey is arguably the form no.8 in Australia and Wallabies coach Michael Cheika acknowledged he was one of the form players in Super Rugby he’s keeping an eye on.

There are those who say McCaffrey would struggle to be as impactful in Test rugby, where power often trumps panache.
But there are games where you can test those theories and McCaffrey stood up on a tough afternoon in Christchurch.
The no.8 took plenty of hard carries and piled into plenty of dark places at the ruck. Couple more ticks in the book.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2019/04/06/super-brumbies-fivethings

Now, I disagree with the opening line (Naisarani is the form 8), but McCaffrey has been consistently playing at a high level and a place in the test squad wouldn't be undeserved.

The loss of Pocock and now Valetini has really weakened the strength of the backrow...........

And with Valetini, Fainga'a and Arnold all not playing there's 3 of the best ball carriers in the forwards gone.

Samu definitely needs to continue starting and play more minutes with those two out, but if we were at full strength I would revert back to him providing impact off the bench.

Cusack had been playing well up until the last couple of weeks, but I agree with mst that it might be time to mix it up and throw Enever into 6 where he played in some of the later matches last year.

But I don't expect these changes to yield results.......... the pack has largely been impressive in most games this year (for at least the first hour).

It looks like Cheika has been coaching our backline as it resembles the sideways and backwards style of play of the 2018 Wallabies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On a positive note, Swain was very impressive in his first start against the best team in the comp..........

Also, the news that Tony Abbott may lose his seat at the next election mean the weekend wasn't all bad.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
On a positive note, Swain was very impressive in his first start against the best team in the comp....

Also, the news that Tony Abbott may lose his seat at the next election mean the weekend wasn't all bad.
yep Swain was very Hocking-like yesterday. Obviously not the same standard yet, but he has lots of promise.

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hand grenade aimed directly at me, hey Reg?

Actually. I've been toying with the idea of writing a positive post about Hockings for some weeks now. He is developing along quite nicely in open play to complement his obvious skills at lineout time. Unlike his doppelganger, Simmons, he actually has impact in collisions and will one day be a significantly better lock than Rob ever was, imo.

Having now got that off my chest, and in a completely irrelevant thread, I will come back on topic and say that Swain is the best of the young locks going round, and one day I expect to see Swain and Hockings pairing in the second row for the Wallabies.

EDIT : I will also put on record my regard for Blyth in the second row. I always felt he was better value than Hockings coming through U20s, but hasn't had the opportunities since they've graduated to Super Rugby, or on the fringes. Three excellent young up and comers who we'll see a lot of in future.