• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds - Saturday 22 February 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
finally Super Rugby is back... this match is the pick of the round Brumbies vs Reds... both teams with plenty of Wallabies and talent...

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Time to get in early and claim the underdog tag. Brumbies are rightly firm favourites in this one.
Agree. After seeing the performance at Ballymore my confidence is shot. Anything less than a 100% improvement will see the brumbies put serious points on the board.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
No way can the Reds win. They are by far the underdogs, it will be a herculean task to even see them within 14 points of the Brumbies.

Brumbies were runners up last year, and have a similar strength roster. They have arguably Australia's greatest ever flyhalf as coach. Their trial form looks imperious. They have G&GR Wallaby of the Year Fardy, previous G&GR Player of the Year Pocock, plus inspirational Wallaby captain Mowen, along with what could be an all Wallaby backline (if McCabe, the preferred inside centre for the Wallabies just a few years back is at 12) if Speight was eligible. The boot of the impeccable Moggarithm peels of metres with mathematical ease from the back. The backrow and front row are all Wallabies including key scrummaging lynch pin Alexander. The second row are all Wallabies in waiting with Sam Carter and Jack Whetton, whose pedigree is derived from legendary All Black stocks. Basically, the Brumbies are nearly an international strength team. Former future Reds star Butler now cum-Brumby, along with the most talented Japanese player ever (as reported by Wallabies legend Toutai Kefu) and household name Tawetkawakranenaneawa cannot even make the team, the Brumbies are that strong. The Real Madrid of rugby, if you will.

The Reds have lost their coach, lost star outside back Ioane, lost key outside back Morahan (the star performer against the Lions), lost key second rower AWH to retirement, lost rising star Butler to the Brumbies, and have key player Quade Cooper under an injury cloud. The erratic Cooper is the same player who website G&GR rightly pointed out should never should have been selected for the Wallabies of the statistically superior Foley. The Reds trial form has been questionable, comfortably beaten by the Rebels. Their backrow has just one bit-part Wallaby, their front row mulch to all other teams at scrum time. The backs look unsettled and hopge-podge as players vie for fullback, wing, and centre spots. Their captaincy is under question with their captain Horwill being stripped of the Wallaby captaincy last year. edit: And I forgot to mention, their results have been sliding since 2011, coming further down the ladder each year for the past two years.

The Reds were the basket case of the mid-00s, whilst the Brumbies were the Australian powerhouses of the early-00s.

If the Reds get within 30, nay, 40, points of the Brumbies if will be seen as a huge achievement from this team of plucky underdogs, a real-life Mighty Ducks story.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Weather forecast is mostly sunny and 9-27. Reds players won't have seen single digit temps since EOYT and will find any maximum under 30 cold. It is all against them.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Ash,
read your post, shit I dropped my banjo and front tooth fell out.
Mate, you are a funny bloke

However very happy to take the underdog tag. Love it !!!!

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Ash,
read your post, shit I dropped my banjo and front tooth fell out.
Mate, you are a funny bloke

However very happy to take the underdog tag. Love it !!!!

Hope it was just the practice one and not your victory banjo. You won't need it this weekend because the ponies are too good but you'll need it after the festival of hate next weekend.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Weather forecast is mostly sunny and 9-27. Reds players won't have seen single digit temps since EOYT and will find any maximum under 30 cold. It is all against them.

We'll have trouble breathing in anything less than 98% humidity. Anyone know if Canberra is humid?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
This is really humourous. Apart from Mudskipper's opening gambit, and one response about NZ teams, all posts are from Qld supporters claiming underdog status. Funnier still, I think they are right. The Reds should have underdog status, but that doesn't mean much when the teams get into battle, especially in the early rounds.

Brumbies to win and start their march the the top of the Super ladder. Can't wait to see the pounding anyone from the Reds will take if brave enough to try out the 10/12 channel with Matty To'omua (hardest hitting 10 in Super Rugby) and Andrew Smith waiting for them, and just in case he's needed Poey coming in as well.

Goal kicking could be our only weakness.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No way can the Reds win. They are by far the underdogs, it will be a herculean task to even see them within 14 points of the Brumbies.

Brumbies were runners up last year, and have a similar strength roster. They have arguably Australia's greatest ever flyhalf as coach. Their trial form looks imperious. They have G&GR Wallaby of the Year Fardy, previous G&GR Player of the Year Pocock, plus inspirational Wallaby captain Mowen, along with what could be an all Wallaby backline (if McCabe, the preferred inside centre for the Wallabies just a few years back is at 12) if Speight was eligible. The boot of the impeccable Moggarithm peels of metres with mathematical ease from the back. The backrow and front row are all Wallabies including key scrummaging lynch pin Alexander. The second row are all Wallabies in waiting with Sam Carter and Jack Whetton, whose pedigree is derived from legendary All Black stocks. Basically, the Brumbies are nearly an international strength team. Former future Reds star Butler now cum-Brumby, along with the most talented Japanese player ever (as reported by Wallabies legend Toutai Kefu) and household name Tawetkawakranenaneawa cannot even make the team, the Brumbies are that strong. The Real Madrid of rugby, if you will.

The Reds have lost their coach, lost star outside back Ioane, lost key outside back Morahan (the star performer against the Lions), lost key second rower AWH to retirement, lost rising star Butler to the Brumbies, and have key player Quade Cooper under an injury cloud. The erratic Cooper is the same player who website G&GR rightly pointed out should never should have been selected for the Wallabies of the statistically superior Foley. The Reds trial form has been questionable, comfortably beaten by the Rebels. Their backrow has just one bit-part Wallaby, their front row mulch to all other teams at scrum time. The backs look unsettled and hopge-podge as players vie for fullback, wing, and centre spots. Their captaincy is under question with their captain Horwill being stripped of the Wallaby captaincy last year. edit: And I forgot to mention, their results have been sliding since 2011, coming further down the ladder each year for the past two years.

The Reds were the basket case of the mid-00s, whilst the Brumbies were the Australian powerhouses of the early-00s.

If the Reds get within 30, nay, 40, points of the Brumbies if will be seen as a huge achievement from this team of plucky underdogs, a real-life Mighty Ducks story.
Ash uses Feign Humility. It's super effective!
It's fair to say the mocker gods smile upon the hapless Reds this week.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Hope it was just the practice one and not your victory banjo. You won't need it this weekend because the ponies are too good but you'll need it after the festival of hate next weekend.

The Ponies will end up being hacks after Saturday.
Great coach ran away/ - new coach (fantastic player) untested
Inspirational captain off to greener pastures
Full of confidence - maybe way too much
Huge fan expectation - more pressure.

Having bagged them a bit I think Matt To'omua will have a fantastic season in 2014. 2013 was pretty good for him but this year will be awesome

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
So there were the troopers riding their ponies into the gorge, and Colonel Stephen (Custer) Larkham saying, "I can smell Red indian shit", just before the massacre.

T

tranquility

So there were the troopers riding their ponies into the gorge, and Colonel Stephen (Custer) Larkham saying, "I can smell Red indian shit", just before the massacre.

Blood Meridian?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I am really looking forward to this match. Reds v Brumbies to me is the best local derby (if only they had the NSW v QLD history), there has been massive passion the last few times they have met and I think the players see it as a trial for the Wallabies team.

Reds and Brumbies players realise that if you play for the Tahs then your wallaby spot is safe regardless of form, but if you are a current Wallaby and play for the Reds or Brumbies then you have to shine to keep your spot, never mind break into the team.

I hate thinking the Reds will lose, but I would be over the moon if the Reds can manage a bonus point, or if it is a try fest then two bonus points would be great.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
We are..somewhat cold!

I have no shame.

Cold weather will cause CFS' and Toua's hamstrings to bond together and form a singularity sending the Brumbies to another dimension while Reds claim an easy bonus point.

T

tranquility

I am unsurprisingly very confident about this fixture. We have so much class in our side, and if we can be accurate we will get the result.

Watch for the lumbering Pocock to arrive at the breakdown only for Gill to have already checked it out and cased the joint. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.