• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Reds - Saturday 22 February 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mate let's just watch the Tahs this arvo, before we get too critical shall we? It's been a while since they were much chop, and even when they were the master of dour slow English rugby, it was hardly "squeaky-clean."

Nah, I expect the same today, the rucks will be a absolute mess.

I just get annoyed.

We get to watch wonderfully hard fought Kiwi derby games, with great, hard rugby being played and ours are a pile of dross, loaded with negative play.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Umm no we throw the ball wide and Mogg scored in the corner :)

I know the tighthead your talking about when Daley turned sideways pretty sure we just changed our front row. I remember thinking Ruan Smith got screwed on that one

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes but the scrum held firm, it was the backs that let them down in that instance.....

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Harshly? half of each side deserved to be binned, every ruck had someone illegally all over the ball, coming in from the side, diving off their feet and that doesn't include both backlines being off side for most of the match

What you say may be true Fatprop, but if that is the case why was he the only bloke singled out? Especially since his infringement was borderline at best?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What you say may be true Fatprop, but if that is the case why was he the only bloke singled out? Especially since his infringement was borderline at best?

he was next in line, simple, the teams were spreading around the negative play

but I agree he shouldn't have been the only card on the night

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I enjoyed that game. A win away from home against last years runners up, we'll take the 4 points and move on. I do think out biggest challenge thus year will be the TAHS.

Having watched both the Sharks & Chiefs open their seasons, I really didn't see any flashy stuff for 80 mins from either of them, let alone the Crusaders!

Let's just call it what it is, the first game of the season. 4 points away from home, you'll take that everyday of the week.

T

tranquility

Absa-bloody-lutely.

Genia brought up a very good point pre-match, the Reds know how to win.

I don't care who the Tahs have, we should be rightfully favourites.

You can't buy a super rugby crown.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think the scrum was pretty even until the subs came on. And yes Daley was bloody lucky the scrum penalty didn't go the other way.

And a even scrum with the Brumbies is a step up for the Reds scrum so I'm very happy with that.

Because Brumbies were on attack and just before it there were 2 penalties which Lecki said the next ones going too the bin :) Holmes was the clown who pushed his luck and went to the bin... Lecki had no choice but to bin him

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't pick it up on the commentary (bub just gone to sleep so volume down) but what did Homer get binned for exactly? When I was watching I assumed it was a case of just getting the wrong player (it mattered not, someone had to go) but was it for that little shove on White?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I didn't pick it up on the commentary (bub just gone to sleep so volume down) but what did Homer get binned for exactly? When I was watching I assumed it was a case of just getting the wrong player (it mattered not, someone had to go) but was it for that little shove on White?

The commentators gave that impression. I didn't see a replay to see if he came from an offside position to get there, didn't look like it live. Of all the things to go to the bin for Leckie picked the weakest and something that happens at every other ruck.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
The commentators gave that impression. I didn't see a replay to see if he came from an offside position to get there, didn't look like it live. Of all the things to go to the bin for Leckie picked the weakest and something that happens at every other ruck.

If it was for the push the that's fucked. I actually would be happier if he just got the wrong bloke and it was for someone doing something stupid at the ruck. It was inevitable that one of us would go but seriously..... Pushing the scrummy? It wasn't even a big shove!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If it was for the push the that's fucked. I actually would be happier if he just got the wrong bloke and it was for someone doing something stupid at the ruck. It was inevitable that one of us would go but seriously... Pushing the scrummy? It wasn't even a big shove!

Apparently the ref said for offside. He had just given a general warning. He had warned Horwill earlier for a few Reds shoving White (in particular) after he cleared the ball. I thought at first he pinged Holmes (he gave White a push after the breakdown), but others on Twitter corrected me. Holmes must have been just offside. It definitely didn't look like much.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Ah ok. Yep that's fair enough then. I was hoping there would be more to it then that. Cheers.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Because Brumbies were on attack and just before it there were 2 penalties which Lecki said the next ones going too the bin :) Holmes was the clown who pushed his luck and went to the bin. Lecki had no choice but to bin him

I'm not sure why you quoted me in this post.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
What is with the tall poppy syndrome regarding Aidan?

Why would his first game of the season, and first game starting at fullback be him at his best?

Clearly he made errors last night, and did a few good things. He also slotted into first five a few times and showed that is indeed a ball-player and a ball-runner. His kicking game is good, even though he made an error there as well. Technically I don't think he is a bad defender, however I think the speed of the game and perhaps being caught out of position contributed to him running into the defensive situation too fast and not allowing himself to set a solid base to make the appropriate tackle.

All things considered there is much to be excited about his game, why the cynicism? Especially from Reds fans?
As I said, I have not seen much of him, so I don't know if that was his best, worst or somewhere in between. If it was his best then I have concerns.

T

tranquility

My question still stands.

Why show skepticism rather than optimism? Given that you as you said, you haven't seen much of him.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I think the yellow card was to the wrong player. Leckie's arm went up for the penalty advantage when Quirk came in from the side, but then he asked the AR for the number and was given the wrong one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Nic White had a really poor game and that made it very difficult for the Brumbies to win. Aside from the two kick offs that he put out on the full, I thought his overall game was very average.

The Brumbies need him to get back into form if they want to be on a similar level to last year. The Brumbies backline never really had a chance to get going for most of the match as a result.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought at the time Leckie said offside, but on TV I might've misheard.

Replay showed it was a questionable decision, or it wasn't Holmes. The thing is, when you've already given away so many penalties the ref is looking for something to blow.

Either way, the Reds would've had someone in the bin eventually if it wasn't Holmes.

Status
Not open for further replies.