• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Stormers S15 Round 6 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You could argue that it was more a case of the Stormers lost that instead of the Brumbies winning it.

Peter Grant missed 8 points worth of kicks (2 PG's and a conversion) and Kobus van Wyk will be having nightmares about the Robbie Coleman try. So that's 13 points they've given up.

Jean de Villiers said after that it's inexperience that cost them. Obviously missing Burger didn't help either but their injury toll was no worse than the Brumbies IMO.

It's turning into a disappointing tour for them. After nearly knocking off the Crusaders they've lost 2 more and have only 1 point from the tour and head to Brisbane to play the Reds next week. Admittedly their tour is pretty rough considering they play 4 of last years semi finalists.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You could argue that it was more a case of the Stormers lost that instead of the Brumbies winning it.

Peter Grant missed 8 points worth of kicks (2 PG's and a conversion) and Kobus van Wyk will be having nightmares about the Robbie Coleman try. So that's 13 points they've given up.

But Nic also missed two or three kicks in the second half - admittedly easier than those missed by Grant.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reckon the Stormers deserved the bonus point from that. The penalty try from one scrum that collapsed 3m to 4m out was harsh. As someone mentioned, Grant missing so many kicks, a few of them quite easy, really cost them.

Both teams were depleted, but I thought the Brumbies a little more hurt in the injury stakes. Was a really gutsy effort from the Brumbies.

Thought the Brumbies coaches used the bench a lot better this time. The Stormers had more class and got more from their bench, but the Brumbies coaches held their back, where possible, for longer to get more use out of their starting players. It's a lot easier for an average to decent player to come on with 10 mins to go vs tired opposition than with 20 or so mins to go, which is what I think they got wrong vs the Reds.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Reckon the Stormers deserved the bonus point from that.

Jean de Villiers was pretty annoyed by that and the try Coleman scored under the nose of van Wyk. He said they probably could have won this match and also against the Crusaders but instead they have just 1 point from their tour so far.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reckon the Stormers deserved the bonus point from that. The penalty try from one scrum that collapsed 3m to 4m out was harsh. As someone mentioned, Grant missing so many kicks, a few of them quite easy, really cost them.

Both teams were depleted, but I thought the Brumbies a little more hurt in the injury stakes. Was a really gutsy effort from the Brumbies.

Thought the Brumbies coaches used the bench a lot better this time. The Stormers had more class and got more from their bench, but the Brumbies coaches held their back, where possible, for longer to get more use out of their starting players. It's a lot easier for an average to decent player to come on with 10 mins to go vs tired opposition than with 20 or so mins to go, which is what I think they got wrong vs the Reds.

I had no concern at all about the penalty try. Stormers had already collapsed the first attempted scrum and the second was moving at considerable pace towards the try line. It was beyond doubt that had it not been brought down, it would have passed over the try line - it simply had too much momentum to have been stopped legally.

Brumbies were much more harshly dealt with through injuries than were the Stormers. 6 starting players out and then lost Butler during the game. That means, of course, that the majority of the usual bench started this game and that the bench itself was predominantly next level players who wouldn't normally be there. But there they were, and those who got on rose to the occasion and were instrumental in getting the Brumbies home on the night.

Having said that, I thought the Stormers played well, with speed and commitment. Another performance like that will see them take the biscuits next weekend.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Half time: McAffrey came on at half time to replace the injured Butler
55 minutes: Whetton replaces Smiler with Fardy moving to blindside, Murphy replaces JP Smith
72 minutes: Moore replaced by Siliva, Moore was limping badly

No backs replaced, Ruan Smith the only forward not to get on for Alexander.

The only two unforced changes were at 55 minutes, with Whetton surprising me with his performance. Whetton certainly has pedigre, will be interesting to see if he can leapfrog Power.

Much better use than vs the Reds, where all 7 subs had been used by the Brumbies by the 67th minute. Not only that, but 5 subs were done within 3 minutes, resulting in a loss in team cohesion.

I think that the Brumbies' coaches use of the bench has improved as the season has gone on.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Coleman again delivered!!! he's always there working hard and got the points... great job keep it up Robbie youre a champ...
As for the few negative comments about the unknown brumbies bench from others here at G&G I think these lads are really stepping up and doing a great job, they ripped apart the stormers scrum and dominated the line out... All credit to them... So 4 form 5 wins, against some quality sides Tahs/Canes/Stormers all is good in the capital...

Looking foward to seeing Leo back this weekend... But I'm really impressed with the new guys who are getting a start and showing how good they really are, thats just bloody fantastic for the Brumbies !!!

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
Hat off to the young Brumbies coming on and delivering gritty performances - Butler in particular a good find. Apart from the first match, the intensity on the pitch has been outstanding, and that helped the team over the line at times.Still making silly mistakes though leading to penalties. Against tougher sides they will be costly.

I agree that the Stormers would have deserved the bonus point, with a more accurate kicker the match would have evolved differently.
Apart from the kicking, however, the Stormers played well and had a chance to win till the end. They're a solid team, with Burger on, and a bit more luck they'll win matches.

The Stormers will be a good test for the Reds' aspirations next match. Reds better not underestimate this team.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Half time: McAffrey came on at half time to replace the injured Butler
55 minutes: Whetton replaces Smiler with Fardy moving to blindside, Murphy replaces JP Smith
72 minutes: Moore replaced by Siliva, Moore was limping badly

No backs replaced, Ruan Smith the only forward not to get on for Alexander.

The only two unforced changes were at 55 minutes, with Whetton surprising me with his performance. Whetton certainly has pedigre, will be interesting to see if he can leapfrog Power.

Much better use than vs the Reds, where all 7 subs had been used by the Brumbies by the 67th minute. Not only that, but 5 subs were done within 3 minutes, resulting in a loss in team cohesion.

I think that the Brumbies' coaches use of the bench has improved as the season has gone on.

McCaffrey had a belter when he came on. Whetton was quite solid and I suspect had a strong presence in the scrum. I expect Murphy to start at JP's expense this weekend after the second half scrums were more solid that in the first. Siliva continues to be under the radar of supporters of other teams. He is a Wallaby in waiting as time will tell.

Other than Siliva, the others would not normally be on the bench. Not too bad as a third string!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, Murphy was strong in the scrum when he came on, but I didn't think he was that much stronger than JP, and JP looks stronger around the field. I suspect it will be a line ball decision between which of them starts.

Two of JP, Ruan and Murphy would normally be on the bench. They all seem to be a little more settled on the loosehead side than the tighthead to me, though. I could be wrong!

We will see with Siliva. He looked promising in the U20s, but his career has stalled for now behind Moore. I suspect we won't get to really see what he has to offer at the senior level until after the 2015 World Cup, unless Moore has an unfortunate injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.