• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs - 2011R06

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I am pretty happy with that result. Brumbies/Tahs games are ALWAYS dire affairs, and I came in with very low expectations. All I wanted was 4 points, and we got them. Just. I was impressed with the ticker they showed in the last 5, especially after Halfa PackofLlamas had his try disallowed.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well that lived down to my expectations and predictably shattered my hopes.

A few thoughts:-
1) The Tahs have no real attacking threat after two phases except for the chip or grubber kick. This is partly because after two phases their one out runners who get over the line are tied up and there is nothing else and because the backs attack in a single flat line in most cases. On the couple of occassion the Tahs attacked in depth the passes invariably failed to find the man. I have to predict that they will fail hideously if they do not fix this fundamental aspect.

2) The Mules are rudderless with Giteau at 10. I know some will say that he played better, but that's is like saying chihuahua shit is better than Great Dane shit because its smaller. It is still shit. His first movement is always across field and at one stage the Mule fans jeered him for it in the first half. Alexander cannot seriously be considered for the Wallabies on form. Penalised and conceding one clean Tighhead and a second critical scrum turnover is a pretty clear domination in the scrum. He is a wonderful running player but we have a few backs and backrowers already. We do not have props who want to scrummage.

G

GC

Yeh...good finish from the Tahs. Decided to switch on in the last 15, except for letting in a try that is.

Still, shocking match.

I'm guessing Barnes is going to be out for some time. Will it be even worse with Hangers back or was his last performance a one-off?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Its really the Brumbies' young guys keeping the Brumbies in the game...

Palmer is a rock...

Lilo showed Gits what happens when you run straight...

Salvi for me is behind Finger and Hooper and is a complete penalty machine...

Brumbies need Kimlin at 6...

Vaea, despite a couple of dropped balls iks the 8 the Brumbies have needed for a while...

Both halves suck...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well that lived down to my expectations and predictably shattered my hopes.

A few thoughts:-
1) The Tahs have no real attacking threat after two phases except for the chip or grubber kick. This is partly because after two phases their one out runners who get over the line are tied up and there is nothing else and because the backs attack in a single flat line in most cases. On the couple of occassion the Tahs attacked in depth the passes invariably failed to find the man. I have to predict that they will fail hideously if they do not fix this fundamental aspect.
It was staggering to me that the Tahs, once again, sent runners forward time and time again with no support. If the Brumbies had been more savvy, and had a better fetcher, the Tahs could have been turned over at will, as they were last week by the Cheetahs with Brussouw. Towards the end at one stage, they did it 3-4 times in a row in a series of phases that had me screaming at the TV.
I can only conclude that they feel that the occasions when this weakness is targeted are anomalies, or that they just cannot see the problem with this play.
Carter is underused, if we accept that his strength is to crash it up and get over the gain line. He did do this a few times, but other times when they could have done it more, it ended up being aimlessly kicked. Say no more about his yellow card... Needless to say, Carter / Cross is a combo that will have few decent opposition backlines trembling, at least as an attacking unit.
Beale overplayed his kicking hand, but without him we would have lost, so hard to be overly critical. Burgess was often good, but had more than his entitlement of brain farts again.
The last 10-15 mins, and a period in the first half showed the Tahs could string good phases together (about 20+ at one stage), yet they resorted to some poor options too many times.
Positives - lineout better, scrum OK, with a few wobbles after 1st choices went off, defence generally good apart from some gaping holes on counter-attack, which Lealiifano, and to a lesser extent Giteau exploited well.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Cyclo,

My issue with the kicking is there appears to be nothing else in their attack game ATM and the majority of the kicks are executed very very poorly. Two games previous Qld showed some very accurate kicking from Cooper and Genia just to contrast how shit NSW really is at it, they kicked it dead twice FFS and out on the full twice as well.

The Lineouts were generally very good for the Tahs and difficult for the Mules with the Tahs fielding three genuine jumpers at the start and four at the end. I would have to say the Tahs scrum was dominant, they got penalised twice on Kepu which I thought on one occassion was a 50:50. One clear win against the feed and one turnover 15 metres out on a Brumbies defensive scrum can only be judged as a victory to the Tahs all with 1 out of three of their first choice front row.

ten four

Stan Wickham (3)
the brumbies have the scrum feed 5 meters from their line ,with less than a minute on the clock, and then proceed to frig around with the ball at the base of the scrum , lose the feed to the tahs and they score.I dont know that much about rugby, but surely they should have cleared the ball quickly from the original scrum and booted it 50 meters downfield .Who calls the ponys plays

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
These matches are often dire, tonights was an improvement over last years pile of crap

They seem to just blot eachother out.

Nice to see the Tahs take a couple of tightheads and beale kicking very well.

It looks as if Barnes will be out for next week, he didn't look great. Will they bring in Hangers and play beale at 10?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
After being at last years tahs brumbies derby i was actually happpy with that. obviously my expectations are much lower than i thought.

B

BRIX

Couldn't be happier with that result. Needed a good tough game and the unity and faith that comes with one.

Would have disliked whooping them only to be served up the same crock of shit like last week in the coming rounds. Todays showing tells me that there should be at least another 7 more games between meals.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought this game was pretty good. Both teams did try throwing the ball around, but the defense from both sides was pretty strong.

I didn't really enjoy the first half period where both teams were opting for the kick at goal each opportunity, but it was a tight game. And it was always going to be that way.

Enjoyable; obviously not the greatest game played, but it wasn't a shocker.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Tahs close running game from the pack won it - good to see it back and functioning. Started to see the impact that Cliffy can have with the half break and offload. Amazing the difference Waugh makes.

Very worried for the Brumby pack in the loose - has been pushed around by just about everyone they've played.

As for the game, I thought it was a good, tough battle. Not one for the BBQ lovers obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom