• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs, 2011R16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Yet another backline combination.

Barnes was able to avoid contact against the Lions but he will get a bit more traffic at 12. With that bench I hope he is ok.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
13. Tom Carter

Given the available players there were, I think, two possibilities - Carter or Turner. If Hickey and Bowen pick Turner then Pakalani has to play wing and Berrick goes to the bench. Being conservative selectors they will only pick young players on the bench and try to give them just 5 minutes. So that option had to be out unless Barnes was injured. Only other option available is to shuffle everyone out one space, which is exactly what they did.

Carter has been passing better this year, so he might go better at 13 than he did last year. Turner also did not set the house on fire at 13 last week. If, as Bruce suggests, Berrick at 12 means he won't be able to kick everything he gets but will have to think about running occasionally then it might just work.

The other issue is that both Bulls wingers are quick, At least one of them will be marked by a speedster.

To contra Blue's point, I think an arm wrestle is exactly what the Tahs want, preferably in the opposition 22. They do back their ability to grind out a win with their very tight defence and big pack. If there are a lot of points scored then I think it will be because either the Tah forwards get on top and then release the backs with front foot ball or because the Bulls get on top and we get slaughtered. But I expect a tough, low scoring game with penalties the decider.

The loss of Kepu is critical however, the Fuse is not as good in the open. He won't let us down in the tight but we won't see any 20 metre Kepu-type charges.What happens if Robinson goes down I don't know. Maybe Fuse to LHP because he played there early in his career or Ryan because LHP is less demanding than THP. I guess one of the two has spent time training there this week, anyone got any goss?

Cyril Towers (30)
My mail is that Ryan will play LHP if needed. that's where he played until moving to THP at the start of 2009.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This one coming up at 19h10 SA time. The Stormers win put the Brutes even under more pressure. Luckily the Force have done both teams a massive favour earlier. This is going to be a good one to watch.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A Stormers' win over the Rebels put pressure on the Bulls? It was a mere formality...

Got a good feeling about this. I reckon we'll start the same like last year but hopefully fade less this time. Boys should really be up for it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
A Stormer's win over the Rebels put pressure on the Bulls? It was a mere formality...

Got a good feeling about this. I reckon we'll start the same like last year but hopefully fade less this time. Boys should really be up for it.

Easy to say after the result but I sure was nervous about this one. The Brutes chase that SA top spot and is 13 points behind us now on the log. They need maximum from tonites game to catch up. 4 x 3 wont do the trick for them.

R

RuckinGoodStats

Goal kickers #Bulls Steyn 80% (64 from 80); #Waratahs: Beale 70% (43/61) #rugby #super15 #superrugby #BULvWAR
Ref stats:Joubert forced to award, per game average 19.4 pens (11.1 at ruck) 3.3 scrum resets & 5 scrum infringes #Bulls #Waratahs #BULvWAR

Ref stats:Joubert 12 (1=most/highest) from 17 refs to award pens & ruck pens , 15th in scrum resets #Bulls #Waratahs #BULvWAR

#Bulls on average (#super15 rank 1=most/highest) per game: 11.6 pens (1); 7.4 pens at ruck (1); 13.3 miss tackles (6) #BULvWAR

#Waratahs on average (#super15 rank 1=most/highest) per game: 9.2 pens (11); 4.9 pens at ruck (13); 11.6 miss tackles (14) #BULvWAR

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuck.

Kepu and now Fat Cat.

Tahs season over and probably the Wallabies. Daley and Alexander again...

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is not good - 20 minutes in and Fat Cat is off the field, looks like his knee is gone, fell awkwardly making a tackle. Terrible blow for Tahs & Wallabies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beale has been simply superb...

What the hell are we gunna do without him next year?

Paddy's not doing so well at LHP, this won't be good.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Douglas just did a choke hold on Oliver. Suspension coming up. Similar to Deysel's, should be 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.